BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reaction time.

4 posters

Go down

reaction time. Empty reaction time.

Post  Larry Williams August 15th 2010, 11:55 pm

I have a glide with a full tree trans brake. what improvement in reaction time could I see if I went to a pro tree brake with an adjustable button.

I lost pro comp today to a .008 reaction time on a 400 pro tree. grrrr less than a car length in the traps. I need to improve.
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

reaction time. Empty Re: reaction time.

Post  bosshoss August 16th 2010, 12:40 am

It will depend on what you have now. Every manufacturer will tell you they have the fastest trans brake on the planet. I dont have any real world back to back experience but my spare is an old Griner Stage 5 I think. My main deal is a Hughes pro brake. No real noticeable diff in my eyes. I have heard claims of .02-.03 improvement with a pro brake over the full tree stuff but like I say no proof here.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 August 16th 2010, 1:37 pm

My good trans had a Pro brake custom made by the builder. I broke the planets and installed my spare with a regular style brake, I had to put .05 back in my delay box to cut a good light.

The adjustable buttons generally do not make you any faster than a good standard button. They only allow you to slow the release down. Typically used in a class that doesn't allow delay boxes with transbrakes.

There are some buttons out there that are slow and inconsistent. Play with different buttons on a practice tree to find what works best for you.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

reaction time. Empty Brake boogie

Post  Wheelie58 August 16th 2010, 10:50 pm

I just finished a evaluation of a new pro-tree brake.
Both of my Glides have (had) BTE Pro Tree brakes in them.
These are "fluid release" brakes that do not have a spring in front of the brake plunger. If you push in on the brake solenoid plunger with the engine OFF, it will stay in.
For the last several months, I have noticed inconsistency with the release time on the BTE brake. I have a micro-switch on the brake solenoid plunger and can see precisely when it moves, compared to driveshaft movement. My Racepak driveshaft pickup has 8 magnets, so I can accurately look at shaft movement.
I had logged a variation of .020 to as much as .090 in brake release time...when the plunger moved, until the driveshaft moved.
Recently I met a guy that works at Art Carr. We discussed my observation and he said that he fully understood the reason why my BTE brake was acting this way...being a design characteristic of that type of brake.
He offered to build one of his super-duper "Pro-Tree" Glide brakes for me to try.
I also needed to speed up the release for .400 pro tree index racing. I used the brake for the last 3 outings, and am really impressed by the difference. I can not accurately even measure the interval between the solenoid moving and the drivesahft RPM start-up. It is much faster. My 3600++ lb door car with stock front suspension was good for .070 to .100 lights if I staged it normal. Dan-O can vouch for my crappy Pro-Tree lights. Cool I am now in the .035 to .060 range, staged shallow and faster with a little deeper "roll-in".
The Art Carr brake has a entirely different brake plunger design and has a big honkin' release spring in front of the plunger. The plunger is even adjustable, if you want to play with depth to speed up the release. I have to call and find out how much the thing costs, and get one for the other trans. pale
If you want more information of the brake, call Alan Hartman at Art Carr Performance at 325-698-6667. This guy is very good with valve body/transbrake modification testing and design.
BTW...my setup is a 3600+ lb back half door car.. 605 A-head..JW Ultra 2-speed...BTE 10" conv.-spragless... 1.80 low gear...4.29 rear cog...15X33 tire.
Long post...but hopefully helpful....
Keith

Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams August 16th 2010, 11:04 pm

great post Keith thank you I will check this out.
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 August 17th 2010, 12:28 pm

Thats some interesting info there Keith, thanks.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down