BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics....

+25
72mav
jesse
Nevs
Ranch71460
schmitty
cool40
'65 T-BOLT
richter69
DILLIGASDAVE
res0rli9
Copperhead
BigBlockRanger
jones
511Fox
70bbftorino
Paul-uk
jbozzelle
bbf-falcon
billandlori
bruno
dfree383
Northwest outlaw
bb429power
69F100
ThndrChkn
29 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 Empty Re: The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics....

Post  ThndrChkn May 9th 2010, 9:36 pm

Thanks Jon. That's what I'm waiting on is a bumpsteer kit from UPR. I figured I would just put that on there and save any hassles if they do arise. Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 Empty Re: The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics....

Post  richter69 May 9th 2010, 9:51 pm

but you still need to check it................even after you put the kit on.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 9th 2010, 11:16 pm

Understood. I plan on it. Wink The reason for the kit is, they told me it has longer tie rod ends than the ones I have. I'm not sure if I can get longer ones in factory form, so I was just going to go that route & kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE May 10th 2010, 5:30 am

Pinion is @ 2* down. Driveshaft angle from trans to pinion is 3*.

Doug, if your saying the pinion is nose down -2.0* & the driveshaft is tail down -3.0* that's a driveshaft/pinion angle U-joint combined operating angle of -5.0*, that a lot for a ladder bar car.

What's the combined operating angles at the driveshaft/slip yoke? It's hard to tell fore sure from the pic but it looks like it might be around maybe +1.0* to +1.5*.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 10th 2010, 7:16 am

I'll check it today and let ya know.

Thanks Dave.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 13th 2010, 6:59 pm

Got a little more done on the truck yesterday. I got rid of the mounting bolts for the back of the front fenders, and converted them over to dzus fasteners.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0513001335a
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0513001335b

I still need to put a dzus mount on the lower/rear portion of the fender to secure that, but it stays where I put it. Very Happy I'm thinking right above the Quick Fuel decal.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0511001514

With all the room in the engine bay now, my BBF looks like a SBF. Laughing
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0513001335

More to come. And soon I hope. I have less than 2 weeks to get it done.

Doug... Cool

Last edited by ThndrChkn on May 14th 2010, 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw May 13th 2010, 7:23 pm

looking good Doug.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 13th 2010, 10:00 pm

Thanks Jason. Here's a couple more of the lower fender where I installed the dzus fastener & my "custom" bracket I made. Very Happy
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0513001945
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0513001944

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT May 13th 2010, 10:23 pm

very nice job Doug! your ride is going together and mine is coming apart.
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 14th 2010, 2:59 pm

Thanks guys. I got the driver's side done this morning.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0514001248
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0514001247

Just waitin' on the rest of my frontend parts to get here & my front engine plate, then I can Or should have it running by next weekend.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori May 14th 2010, 7:54 pm

Good progress Doug!!

I bet your right foot is getting twitchy waiting to unleash the banana on some poor unsuspecting chevy!! Cool

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 14th 2010, 8:14 pm

You have no idea. Very Happy Twisted Evil

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE May 14th 2010, 10:27 pm

Don't be surprised if you eventually loose the "wings" off the Dzus buttons, they can snap off easily with enough use.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 14th 2010, 11:57 pm

I already changed them out for the slotted ones. They just look a little cleaner. I put the winged ones on my hood in case of fire, everyone won't be running around looking for a screwdriver to get my hood off. I may change them out too though.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori May 15th 2010, 2:41 am

ThndrChkn wrote:I already changed them out for the slotted ones. They just look a little cleaner. I put the winged ones on my hood in case of fire, everyone won't be running around looking for a screwdriver to get my hood off. I may change them out too though.

Doug... Cool

Well, now you have some spares for the hood ones!! That's a good idea about not using the flush mounted deals on your hood.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 15th 2010, 10:42 am

billandlori wrote:Well, now you have some spares for the hood ones!! That's a good idea about not using the flush mounted deals on your hood.

Bill

Yeah, I do like the idea of the winged fasteners on my hood. Too many times I've seen/heard about fires on the starting line or in the staging lanes, and by the time someone finds a screwdriver, or even a coin, your car needs a new hood. At minimum in most cases.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse May 15th 2010, 10:52 am

looking good doug
it shure has come along way since it was a 4x4

i was thinking about doing the same thing for mounting my front clip
how or what did you do for the grill and lights?
jesse
jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 15th 2010, 11:04 am

I'll get ya a few pics Jesse. For starters, I used a plasma cutter and skeletonized the factory core support. The only thing still left is enough to hold it to the frame, and support the hood. The grille and what appears to be head lights, are in the factory locations. I used black plexiglas to cover the gaping holes left by not having any headlight buckets. Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 15th 2010, 9:08 pm

Here's a few pics of my ultra light, semi-factory core support for ya Jesse. I cut just about everything out that I could reach, and then to help support the 2 uprights, I welded 2 pieces of 1/8" angle to them. I had to notch them in the center to clear a couple of bolts, but left the sides intact to maintain support.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0515001820
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0515001817
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0515001810
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0515001810a

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse May 15th 2010, 10:13 pm

cool
thanxs doug
i think i am gonna get the cut off wheel out
were did you get the fastners you used for the fenders
i like that idea
i am trying to get my front clip to be able to come off in sec's
looks like that is the way to go
and it looks alot better than a flip up front deal
jesse
jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 15th 2010, 11:36 pm

Thanks Jesse. I got the dzus fasteners from Joe Mayabb @ Joe's Race Parts. He's a vendor on here. I wouldn't mess with the cut-off wheel to do that, if you have access to one, I'd use a plasma cutter. Way, Way, faster. Here's another pic of about 20 more lbs. I just took off the frontend this evening. Oooooh Yeah, weight loss is Cool Cool Neat thing is, this stuff was just alot of extra sheet metal hangin' in the way. I can't wait to weigh this thing. Laughing
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 Cid__0515002112

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw May 16th 2010, 1:09 am

cool deal Doug cut the weight looking good.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 16th 2010, 7:09 pm

Got that right Jason. You'll have to try and make it over for one of my 1st trips to the track. I took a few more lbs. off today as well. Very Happy I also figured since I have to wait for my other parts to get here I'd get the radiator fitted. I had a few "small" glitches but they proved no match for my iron will to get this thing finished. Laughing Laughing

Here, I had to notch the frame & plate it (since it's 3" narrower than the factory one) in order to get my radiator in & lower radiator hose on, & to keep it from rubbing on the frame once installed. Also, had to notch the frame because my petcock was on the "outside" of the radiator & was also hitting the frame.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0516001638

Here's my modified lower radiator brackets. I cut them off the old core support, and welded them just inside the notched frame.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0516001643
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0516001644

Here's a shot with everything installed but the grille and my new homemade fiberglass bumper. Wink
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... - Page 4 0516001644a

I'm gettin' pumped! Cool Cool

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori May 16th 2010, 8:13 pm

Lookin pretty trick there Doug!! Getting close.....

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT May 16th 2010, 8:57 pm

looks good and I personally can't wait to see the lower ET's Doug's truck is truly awesome
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next