BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics....

+25
72mav
jesse
Nevs
Ranch71460
schmitty
cool40
'65 T-BOLT
richter69
DILLIGASDAVE
res0rli9
Copperhead
BigBlockRanger
jones
511Fox
70bbftorino
Paul-uk
jbozzelle
bbf-falcon
billandlori
bruno
dfree383
Northwest outlaw
bb429power
69F100
ThndrChkn
29 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... Empty The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics....

Post  ThndrChkn March 21st 2010, 3:13 am

I thought I'd move my truck thread over here, since it's more of a build than a discussion. I'll start at the top to catch some of you up.
I did some reaserch (but not nearly enough) on the FTE forum on doing a Crown Vic swap to the F-Series trucks. I looked around and found this fine unit, which was "given" to me, so I thought, why not give it a go.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... Cid__0305001616

Then I went to work on the truck and got out my measuring sticks and my abbacus Very Happy
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0307001505
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0307001510
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0307001502
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0307001520
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0307001515

After getting everything laid out, I started on the disassembly of the stock truck suspension. And, almost 340# later, I came up with this pile of rubble.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0308001259

And last weekend, after finding out the Crown Vic swap just won't work for my app. due to lack of aftermarket brake components that will allow me to use a skinny front runner, it ended up in this state.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0316001615

Monday or Tueday I can't remember which, I put these little dandy's together.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0316002002
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0316002001

After not being able to work on it the rest of the week, I hit it this afternoon and ended up here.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... Cid__0319001724

About 5:00 this evening, my brother Dan showed up and we swapped in-n-out welding everything in.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... Cid__0320001835
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... Cid__0320001840

And at 7:30 this evening, we ended up at this point. With the new front end (originally plan "A" I mentioned in my other post) jacked into place for mock up of the mounting location(s). I'm going to use all aftermarket parts for the final assembly.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... Cid__0320001942

Well, that's it in a nutshell for now. It'll probably be near the end of the week or next weekend before I can get at it again, but I'll keep you guys posted on what's going on.

Doug... Cool

Last edited by ThndrChkn on April 15th 2010, 11:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... Empty Re: The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics....

Post  69F100 March 21st 2010, 7:54 pm

Looks good Doug if you keep lightening the front end you going to need some wheelies to keep it down on the ground witch front end did you go with
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... Empty Re: The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics....

Post  bb429power March 21st 2010, 8:14 pm

Sweet! I love the Ford Trucks. I've got a 67 f100. She's going to be a beast (mine and yours).
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw March 21st 2010, 8:14 pm

Looking good Doug. It is a foxbody front end now the cat is out i can take the zipper off my mouth Smile on the fornt i had 6 to 7 * and on the side i had 5 to 6* .
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 22nd 2010, 6:48 am

Looking Great Doug, No turning back now !!!!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 22nd 2010, 1:43 pm

Thanks guys. You're right there Dave. From here on out, no matter what, there's no lookin' back now. Laughing Wink
Here's a few more pics of how the 2x3 frame was installed:
Here, I cut the side of the frame and moved the bottom of the frame rail up to the 2x3 and it was then welded in place to help give it a cleaner look and add a litte strength.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0322000737
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0322000736

These 4 pics show where we welded it on the outside of the frame rails. I actually split the 2x3 and slid it "over" the original frame to get the frame center width I needed to do the Foxbody K-Member. Plus, I figured it would give me more surface area to weld to.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0322000739
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0322000737a
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0322000740a
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0322000740

And here's the K-Member sitting in place so I can get the strut angles laid out.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0322000742

This K-Member is being used for mock up only. Like I stated earlier, the finished product will have a tubular K-Member, along with other aftermarket components.
Should look very nice when it's done.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 22nd 2010, 1:51 pm

how much weight you figure to loose?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 22nd 2010, 3:25 pm

Well, with all of the factory fodder I cut off, there was (IIRC) around 320-340 lbs. of scrap iron lying on the ground. And, if we figured correctly, by the time I get all of the aftermarket stuff on it, it should still be a couple hundred pounds lighter in the front end alone. And that's where it really needs the weight loss.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno March 22nd 2010, 4:13 pm

looks great Doug !!! ....

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw March 22nd 2010, 11:16 pm

I didnt find that email but i sent you a pm with that bracket. Looking good
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 23rd 2010, 3:49 pm

Getting things mocked up for my strut mounts and ride height.
I have the K-Member in place, and tack welded it so it doesn't move. From here, I can start getting the strut angles, and ride height settings in place.
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0323001230
The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... 0323001230a

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori March 23rd 2010, 4:18 pm

Wow Doug!!

Plan B comes through again.

That Northwest Outlaw guy has been keeping a low profile!!! Good to hear from you again!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 23rd 2010, 8:25 pm

Lookin really good Doug, keep up the good work Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 24th 2010, 12:03 am

Looking good Doug. You've done something pretty ingenious right there... If I just had some welding skills I'd be a little more willing to do stuff like that.

Have you figured out where the upper strut mount will actually be? Will it be at that forward cage bar? Or somewhere below it dues to that factory style strut being topped out, so to say?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 24th 2010, 12:58 am

jbozzelle wrote:Looking good Doug. You've done something pretty ingenious right there... If I just had some welding skills I'd be a little more willing to do stuff like that.

Have you figured out where the upper strut mount will actually be? Will it be at that forward cage bar? Or somewhere below it dues to that factory style strut being topped out, so to say?

Thanks John. Yes, the struts will be mounted just like you see them in the pics. Only a little more solid. Wink Wink I have them set at the factory angles. Right now, I'm working on fabbing up the brackets. they should be done in the next few days I hope. The struts are set at half stroke, so as to simulate weight being on the frontend. This way, I should be able to get my ride height pretty close as well. More to come soon. Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul-uk March 24th 2010, 6:02 am

Very nice work Doug.

Paul-uk

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle April 1st 2010, 9:53 pm

Doug,

Any updates yet?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 1st 2010, 10:03 pm

Nah, I haven't had much time to do anything on it this week. I'm hoping to be able to get at it sometime next week. It needs to get done too, I plan on it being ready for our Memorial Day parade at the end of next month. Shocked

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  70bbftorino April 2nd 2010, 9:00 am

gotta love changing plans and ripping it all down, then putting a deadline on it! looks great, i'm sure you get it done and it will squat them rear tires better than ever- hey now you can eat whatever you want you have a couple hundred pounds you can put on and not affect your times cheers
70bbftorino
70bbftorino

https://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad191/70bbftorino/

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle April 2nd 2010, 10:44 am

Keep us posted Doug. I'm excited about this. Looks like it'll be nice once it has all of the tube front suspension on it.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 2nd 2010, 12:05 pm

70bbftorino wrote: hey now you can eat whatever you want you have a couple hundred pounds you can put on and not affect your times cheers

Well, actually, I'm on sort of a diet myself as well. At the end of last season, I was 196#. Now I'm about 185#. My goal by the start of the season (probably mid June for me anyway) is to be not more that 180#. I'm shootin' for 170-175#

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 6th 2010, 5:11 pm

Lotsa new parts on order. Stand by to stand by, this may be maybe. Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

The Nuclear Banana...... Redux!!! Even "MORE" progress pics.... Empty Wow Doug

Post  511Fox April 6th 2010, 5:17 pm

Congrats on the weight loss & parts orders.

Wish I could say I weighed 180 lbs I weighed 270 last I checked. Embarassed No Suspect

511Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  jones April 6th 2010, 5:18 pm

Wish I could see pic's at work! I'll have to check this out!

Ps. Doug I am on a weight loss also! Started at 340 and now i'm down to 310 trying to loss some weight for my truck also!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn April 6th 2010, 8:16 pm

Good luck on your personal diet Josh. As for your truck, if it's not going to be a driver, there's a LOT you can take off. Wink

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next