BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1991 winnebago with ford 460 efi

3 posters

Go down

1991 winnebago with ford 460 efi Empty 1991 winnebago with ford 460 efi

Post  banasrs July 11th 2010, 2:57 pm

hi, i have a 91 winnebago superchief dxl 40' motorhome. currently it has a ford460 with 62000 miles on it and a 3 speed ford trans with a Gear Vendors under overdrive on it. For those who dont know, the gear vendors is an add on to the rear of the 3 speed that gives you 6 gears instead of 3. I have a couple of questions...First, since this coach is over 1800gwv we dont need a catolitic converter, so we took that off, put a cold air intake on it and we are going to put a set of banks headers on it. A while back, it wouldnt start and we found that there was a problem with the wiring from the fuel pump wires going to the relays. To bypass this, we hard wired the fuel pump to power and put a toggle switch between it so we can shut it off if necessary. Obviously, now, the computer has some trouble codes because we bypassed the fuel relays. My question is, when we get the banks headers, can we buy the banks computer module, or isnt that a good idea because the computer currently has codes that cant be erased? Second, we would like to get rid of the gear vendors and the 3 speed ford trans and go with a ford over drive trans. Which trans would someone recommend for this coach? The reason we want to swap them is because we feel that we would get more pull by putting in an AOD trans and change the rear axle ration. We are looking for more pull up hills. Going on flat highway this will go about 75mph which is great, but we are looking for the added peace of mind by not having a trans and the gear vendor...We would just like to have an AOD trans for the fact that if theres ever a problem 'less will be wrong'. This is a bonus question. With the catolitic converter disconnected and everything that goes with it, besides headers, what else can we change on this to get some more power? Currently there are manifolds on this motor, but as i said we are going with banks headers. Currently, the manifolds connect to 2 3 inch pipes that are about 7feet long then we have a flowmaster muffler, then theres about 20 more feet of 3 inch pipe for the exhaust... Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows ballpark on a new or reman ford AOD trans for this motor that would be great too as well as where i can buy one.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banasrs

Back to top Go down

1991 winnebago with ford 460 efi Empty Re: 1991 winnebago with ford 460 efi

Post  dfree383 July 11th 2010, 8:14 pm

Before you put the programer on I would properly repair the fuel pump wiring, if it's throwing codes the performance program may not work properly.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy July 12th 2010, 2:22 am

I believe the only choice for an od tranny for a 460 is the E4OD. Then get rid of the flowmaster mufflers. The general concensus around here is they are restriction, anything that is not a straight thru design, ie if you cant see through it, it is a restriction. I believe someone said 40 hp on a dyno. Shocked Definately get the wiring fixed, or the programmer is just an expensive electronic paper weight. Very Happy
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down