BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1991 F-350

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1991 F-350 Empty 1991 F-350

Post  BigBlockRanger September 11th 2023, 4:25 pm

Since it is an older truck, I decided to make a project thread for this thing. It is a 1991 F-350 dually. EFI 460/E4OD trans 4.10 gears in the rearend. Power windows, power locks, cold AC. The odometer shows 79k miles and from the condition of the truck, I believe it.

It needs a few things, but seems pretty solid. I need to find a hitch, a tailgate, a bed mat, and a toolbox. It lived most of it's life in Bakersfield, CA, then did a short stint in Odessa Tx, before it ended up here. Paint is decent, it was top halfed at some point in it's life but looks pretty good.

1991 F-350 36670011
1991 F-350 36738111
1991 F-350 36394810
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

1991 F-350 Empty Re: 1991 F-350

Post  BigBlockRanger September 11th 2023, 4:32 pm

The plastic striker pin sleeves were gone, so I installed a new set. Man, the doors shut NIIIIIIIIIICE now!!!

1991 F-350 Strike10

Started working on brakes. This stuff is big. Haha.

The pad are thin and the hoses are toast. Hubs will spin forever if you give them a whirl.

1991 F-350 Img_2135

New hoses, pads, and I adjusted the rears. One rear was close, the other was not.

Pedal is better, but still lower than I would like. Kinda like it does not have enough volume It stops fine, you just have to push it a long way to get there. The master cylinder was replaced in 2017 or so and that got me wondering if they put the wrong one in. Like a smaller one for an F-150 or something.

So I started doing some research and found A LOT of folks with the same problem. I finally found a reference to a Ford TSB about this very problem in the later 90's models. Their fix is to use a master cylinder with a larger bore. The stock one is 1.125" bore and the replacement is 1.25". More research showed that others have successfully applied this same TSB to earlier year model trucks. I found the right one on Rockauto and I ordered it this morning.

While I was crawling around under it I removed some previous owner weirdness under the bed. There is an electric fuel pump under there and best I can tell it was used to transfer fuel from a bed mounted reserve tank to the front tank. There is a plugged rubber line from the pump the pokes thru the bed floor. The other line runs from the pump up to the top of the front tank filler tube. I removed all the wiring and some bracketry that I think was for a bedside step. I will pull the pump out later and remove/plug the hoses.

I looked and looked for the tank selector valve. Never found it. There is a good reason for that. From what I read, 1991 models (maybe others?) don't have one. The fuel tank selector switch just turns on the in-tank pump for whatever tank you have selected.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 11th 2023, 8:37 pm

I had a locker carrier in mine without the anti-lock pickup ring. It stopped real good that way. You need to be good at driving the Old School way though. It did not cause me any problem though. I also had a 5 speed standard and used that for quite a bit of breaking. Your mileage may vary. Also metallic pads slow to seat sometimes.

Get a tool box with a built in gas tank.

Check valves on those between tanks that leak by.

Lariat Tailgate Trim is the pricy part.

Check for used hitch's, they are usually around for a bargain. Fixed balls in the bed suck, I would skip that.

Buy a Gas Station. Wink

Other then that it's gold and drive the wheels off it. Cool

PS: Those Trucks have the Emissions sealed Gas Caps and you can cause problems tapping into the system, and they can be very cantankerus sometimes if they don't like you. If you can seal or replace that tapped into filler hose tight, it would be a good move.

supervel45

BigBlockRanger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger September 11th 2023, 9:20 pm

Fixed the clearance lights today.

1991 F-350 Snapch21
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger September 18th 2023, 8:54 pm

I swapped to the bigger bore master cylinder and it didn't change a thing.  I finally got arounf to bleeding  the ABS thingy and that was the fix. Whoohoo.

It has a good pedal and stops very good now.

I drove around the parking lot, then pulled into the shop only to be greeted by it leaking coolant. Great. I suspected it was the oil cooler, because they are known to be iffy. A closer look revealed it was leaking between the timing cover and the block. Greeeeaaaat. Took it all apart, made a giant mess and broke one bolt off (the one likely responsible for the leak). At least I only broke one.

I'll clean it all up, throw on a newer water pump I have and put some new bolts in it. Then it should be good to go for a long time. The inside of the engine looks pretty good and the timing chain is in great condition.

I also installed the stainless bed rails and the period correct-ish tailgate net. They look great.

1991 F-350 Img_2016
1991 F-350 Img_2015
1991 F-350 Snapch13
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 18th 2023, 9:41 pm

Pro Net For The Win! Cool

^Same Same

Silicone 6000 Baby on Ford Water Pumps All Way. Especially with 1 or More Broken Bolt/Bolts Left in the Hole.

ACE Hardware Walmart any Big Outlet will Likely Have it.

DPS and Other PoPo Love To Give Revenue Collection Paper Slips for Cab/Over 1 Light Bulb Out. Cut The Wire To All  an They Never Notice or Care. Or Better Yet Bondo, Just Kidding of Course.

Smile NO LEAKY EITHER ANYMORE. For Either of The Above

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger September 20th 2023, 2:38 pm

Huge hurdle cleared. I managed to get the broken bolt out of the block without damaging the threads. Whoo hoo!!

I took a thick piece of aluminum and used it as a drill guide along with HFT left hand bits. Worked perfectly. I drilled two holes in the aluminum, one big to bolt to the lower water pump hole and a smaller pilot hole to drill out the broken bolt. I counter bored the pilot hole so the remaining bolt nub would locate it properly. Then I drilled the bolt with a small bit, then hit it with a larger left hand bit.

I ran a tap in all the water pump holes and cleaned all the garbage out of them.

Gaskets were supposed to be here today, but Fedex thought it would be better to drive them from Colorado, thru Amarillo, to Ft. Worth and then all the way back to Amarillo.   Haha.  Sheesh.

1991 F-350 Img_2136
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 20th 2023, 2:48 pm

The Horns Look Good on The Net.

I See a White Truck Crying For Some Limo TinT Still. At Least As BLACK as You Can Stand and Get By With That Is.

I Did a Plainish White One That Way and it Sexted it Up Big Time. Cool

With The Silver Aluminum Wheels Polished and Some Pimp Juice on The Shoe's For Matching Two Tone Black and White.

A Black Bug Guard Would Look Good to Break Up The Drab, but On a Bull Nose Ford it's Hard to Say.

It Would Atleast Match the Black Net on The Front, Maybe. Question

Looking Good, Hope the WP Bolt Comes Out, Good Thing Mother Ford Put Plenty of Extra's to Seal with a Few

Out

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 20th 2023, 2:56 pm

I Think you where typing when I was. affraid Good on the bolt.

Was That Rusty Water or just the Picture?

If You Flush That system be careful, likely a 1991 Heater Core and Engine Gaskets. Even Fresh Anti Freeze Can Break Down What Holding Some of These Old Trucks Together.

What I am saying is Flush with straight water only. I am sure you likely know, others new to this may not.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger September 20th 2023, 9:47 pm

It has (had) redish coolant in it. Idk what kind.

Well my gasket shipment went right thru Amarillo and is now in FtWorth and headed back to Amarillo. Good grief.

I cleaned the gasket gunk and rtv off the timing cover, water pump, and backing plate.  And since it was accessible, I plumbed a mechanical oil pressure gauge into the front pressure port and mounted it in the dash.  I also repaired the fuel tank selector switch that was partially broken.

​​​​​​​I also test fit an 1999 5.0L Explorer 90 degree oil filter adapter.  It looks like it will work great.  

1991 F-350 20230911
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger September 24th 2023, 8:50 pm

Leak fixed. I do still have a heater hose fitting that is dripping though.. I'll fix it tomorrow.

Ended up using a lower hose from an '86 F250. Fit perfect. 

The Explorer 90 deg oil filter adapter fits great but uses a FL-820S filter instead of a FL-1A. I had one so not a big deal.

Cold oil pressure was a surprise. Haha. Looks good to me.

1991 F-350 Snapch22
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 25th 2023, 12:07 am

BigBlockRanger wrote:It has (had) redish coolant in it.  Idk what kind.

Well my gasket shipment went right thru Amarillo and is now in FtWorth and headed back to Amarillo. Good grief.

I cleaned the gasket gunk and rtv off the timing cover, water pump, and backing plate.  And since it was accessible, I plumbed a mechanical oil pressure gauge into the front pressure port and mounted it in the dash.  I also repaired the fuel tank selector switch that was partially broken.

​​​​​​​I also test fit an 1999 5.0L Explorer 90 degree oil filter adapter.  It looks like it will work great.  

1991 F-350 20230911

Looking Good. Cool

I hope that Redish Coolant is Not That GM Orange Acid/Gel/TimeExpired Stuff?

Your Dually Inspired Me to work on my 85.

Last Night Early this Morning I got The F-250 460 Fired Off. First Time Since Before the Feb. 2021 Texas Freeze.

I Have one other Big Block that has not been run since before then. We fired it on starter fluid. Electric Fuel Pump No Workie. If That's the Only Problem I will be Very Happy. No Water in Oil and Radiator Full So That's the Main Thing I was Concerned About.

Sounds Great on Your Deal. You Really Stole that Truck Compared to The Prices around Here. Someone would Have Bought it and Done a 5.9 Cummins Swap, Likely.

I Have Some Work Left on The Fuel System on the 85 250. Need to put an Oil Pressure Gauge on it Also. The Factory Electric One Works but, I would prefer a mechanical one.

Went to look at the 612/SR-71 Deal Later, after lunch, Down the Road Texas Distance. Sweet Deal For Sure.

I Like The Green Napa 100% Antifreeze Myself. Maybe There's Some Good Red Stuff I have not Heard about?

Are You Going To Polish the Wheels? As Far as I Know they Still Sell the Green Majic Aluminum Polish in H-Town.
They Don't Ship but, I can check the supplier and see if they still have some and you can get it picked up.

I believe it was Taska? Auto Paint Supply on I-10 by the Heights, was one of the Distributors. It's Made in Texas.

I Have Never Found Anything to Equal it and it was Developed to Polish Semi Truck Wheels.

Some More Highway Friendly Gears would sure be nice, in Due Time/Money/Gas Wise. afro

PS; I almost forgot. When I have used that Silicone 6000 on these Ford Water Pumps, I have had to re-torque the bolts several times, like 5 it seems, as it Oze's out, and I always get a little more on the next torque sequence.

I don't know what you where planning to put on yours, if anything. I thought since I mentioned the stuff, I should mention that. In case someone else uses it, after seeing it suggested here.

It Also Sounds Like You Guy's Have it Really Rough in The Parts Department Out West, 460 Gaskets at the Warehouse over here, if not in stock, Ooch!

supervel45

BigBlockRanger and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger September 25th 2023, 9:24 am

The red coolant isn't Dexcool. That stuff sucks. The red is usually an extended life type stuff. Whatever that means. I replaced it with the plain ole gold universal from Oreilly.

Next issue to look at is the bouncy/inaccurate speedometer. It reads slow at low speed and high at high speed, so that is a little strange.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 25th 2023, 4:24 pm

I don't remember the Speedo deal on 1991's as well as the break on the ring gear sensor ring. Ford Changed it somewhere down the line. Maybe when the ABS Truck's came out? As far as gear swaps and re-calibration, not sure.

I would Pull the Sensor and Clean Any Metal Dust Particals off it, or check it first.

I think they are making aftermarket GPS Speedo's now.

Might or Might Not be worth looking into?

That was a Good Move getting Rid of that Dexcool. May have lost an Inlaw's Snazy Olds due to that Crap, and I believe GM got Sued Over it. It's the stupidist thing I have ever heard of, unless you are building cars and trucks to self destruct.

The Dealerships like Honda or Nissan Green is better then anything the discount auto chains sell, at least in my opinion. It always seemed to last much longer then the Prestone anyway.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger September 25th 2023, 5:40 pm

1991 is still a cable driven speedometer/odometer. It probably just needs lubricating.

It is interesting to note that while it has a cable driven speedo, it also has a speed sensor on the cable drive (transmission end) so the ECU will shift the E4OD correctly AND a speed sensor on the rear diff that supports the ABS functions. It's no wonder Ford later (1992) combined all those functions into just the diff's sensor. Laughing
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 26th 2023, 5:59 am

Some Where in the InterWeb Wonder Land I believe I saw Ford had a Service Bulletin out on those "1992" and up Diff Sensors to check the wiring harness first if there was a speedo and maybe Trans problem. Something about the wires breaking due to flex at the bend point's. It's been awhile but, glad you mentioned that. I was thinking of the GPS bit also for one myself for one. My 460 oil pressure went to the L cold and the first O towards the R warm, so that was good. It's almost Time for her bath after I get the fuel supply back in line to temp. proper. A used fuel cell would be the ticked I suppose.

On those plastic speedo gears sometimes the teeth get wear also. Like you said the cable likes lube also, graphite I believe.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger September 28th 2023, 11:45 am

The speedo thing is weird, but I learned how mechanical speedometers work. Haha. It's not really bouncy, it just reads slow (25 indicated, 35 gps) when going slow and fast when going fast. (85 indicated, 65 gps). It's pretty close to correct right in the middle of those ranges. Haha.

I never knew the speedo head uses a magnet to make the needle move. I just chalked it up to some sort of mechanical voodoo that I didn't understand.

The problem I am having is indicative of a problem with the speedo head magnet. Supposedly they can get dirty and cease to work properly. Not going to dive into the dash just yet. I'll save that for a winter project.

Took it out at lunch for it's longest drive since I've owned it. No runs, no drips, no errors that I can tell.

All the marker lights are fixed! They were unplugged at each light. I assume this was because the previous owner did not know that the marker lights and rear center lights are on the trailer tow harness/relay and not the headlight harness/switch.

The relay was stuck on. I unplugged it, banged it on the fender, and boom, it works correctly again. Haha cheers
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 28th 2023, 12:53 pm

^ I kinda figured those out board lights might be for the trailer hookup, or tied into it, after looking at the schematic in the link I put in here.

My 460 is back to Petrol Gulzzing. Pulled my my 6709 Special Ford Holley Semi Spread Bore 750 Double Pumper with C6 Kick Down and put my 770VS on. Hot/Cold Idle Cleared Up. Runs about the Same as the DP almost. Gonna go with a 20 buck knock off of the Edlbrock Green Electric Fuel Pump.

I would leave the dash along forever is it was not something major. That plastic is a pain an breaks too easy.

^ Probably Breaks Better in the Cold of Winter?

The Old Ford Trucks sure are fun to play with. Parts prices are not bad either and used parts abound is one thing I like about them.

Oh Yea and They will Run Forever While the New Stuff is Headed to the Crusher. Smile

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 30th 2023, 10:49 pm

I was doing my Weld One Piece Truck Drag Lights tonight.

You Gotta Get some of this stuff if you own aluminum wheels are anything else Shinny Aluminum!

I have tried everything else, Nothing and I Mean Nothing Else Comes Close if You want your Aluminum to Shine Like Chrome. Cool

https://www.dougsts.com/Green-Magic-Plus_p_18.html

I believe this was the H-Town Dealer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Taska+Automotive+finisihs+HYouston+Tx.+Heights&sca_esv=569785043&sxsrf=AM9HkKm6UDFShVAWq0AaBLOhz8MOSOIr0A%3A1696128048444&ei=MNwYZZTXGq-4qtsPkIurkA8&ved=0ahUKEwiUr8iu6dOBAxUvnGoFHZDFCvIQ4dUDCBE&oq=Taska+Automotive+finisihs+HYouston+Tx.+Heights&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiLlRhc2thIEF1dG9tb3RpdmUgZmluaXNpaHMgSFlvdXN0b24gVHguIEhlaWdodHMyBxAhGKABGAoyBxAhGKABGApIreMCUABYsMwCcAB4AJABAZgBtAGgAc87qgEFNTkuMjS4AQzIAQD4AQHCAgYQLhgHGB7CAgYQABgHGB7CAhUQLhgHGB4YlwUY3AQY3gQY4ATYAQHCAggQABgHGB4YCsICBRAAGIAEwgIHEAAYDRiABMICDRAuGA0YgAQYxwEY0QPCAgkQLhgNGIAEGArCAhwQLhgNGIAEGMcBGNEDGJcFGNwEGN4EGOAE2AEBwgIFEAAYogTCAgYQABgeGA3CAgoQIRigARjDBBgKwgIFECEYqwLiAwQYACBBiAYBugYGCAEQARgU&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#rlimm=11211156863731197683&lpg=cid:CgIgAQ%3D%3D,ik:CAoSLEFGMVFpcFBIeVphYi00NmVZXzNLc3pickZYN0hDQi1TdzVidFR0eU1HZzVV

My Drag Lights set up for 2 years or so and 30 minutes or less and one Already Looks Chrome. Very Happy

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger October 4th 2023, 9:18 am

Took it on a 30 mile drive down I-27. Truck seems happy at 70 mph. Steering is a little "needy". I am going to look at the steering shaft this evening and see if the upper section is loose on the lower section. This is a common source of sloppy steering in these trucks.

I went by the house and plugged my trailer into the connector on the bumper. No lights. Then I plugged into the trailer receptacle just inside the bed and they worked correctly. Maybe it's just a ground issue on the bumper one.

Update:

I pulled the steering shaft out. Not terribly difficult. It was definitely loose at the slip junction.

My fix was to drill a hole, weld a locknut on, and put a set screw (actually a short bolt) to take the wobble out. I didn't drill into the lower shaft. The set screw is just snugged up against it enough to take the slop out.

Took it for a drive on I-27 and it is sooooo much better now.

Starting to feel good about taking a trip in it.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 4th 2023, 10:00 am

BigBlockRanger wrote:The plastic striker pin sleeves were gone, so I installed a new set. Man, the doors shut NIIIIIIIIIICE now!!!

1991 F-350 Strike10

Started working on brakes. This stuff is big. Haha.

The pad are thin and the hoses are toast. Hubs will spin forever if you give them a whirl.

1991 F-350 Img_2135

New hoses, pads, and I adjusted the rears. One rear was close, the other was not.

Pedal is better, but still lower than I would like. Kinda like it does not have enough volume It stops fine, you just have to push it a long way to get there. The master cylinder was replaced in 2017 or so and that got me wondering if they put the wrong one in. Like a smaller one for an F-150 or something.

So I started doing some research and found A LOT of folks with the same problem. I finally found a reference to a Ford TSB about this very problem in the later 90's models. Their fix is to use a master cylinder with a larger bore. The stock one is 1.125" bore and the replacement is 1.25". More research showed that others have successfully applied this same TSB to earlier year model trucks. I found the right one on Rockauto and I ordered it this morning.

While I was crawling around under it I removed some previous owner weirdness under the bed. There is an electric fuel pump under there and best I can tell it was used to transfer fuel from a bed mounted reserve tank to the front tank. There is a plugged rubber line from the pump the pokes thru the bed floor. The other line runs from the pump up to the top of the front tank filler tube. I removed all the wiring and some bracketry that I think was for a bedside step. I will pull the pump out later and remove/plug the hoses.

I looked and looked for the tank selector valve. Never found it. There is a good reason for that. From what I read, 1991 models (maybe others?) don't have one. The fuel tank selector switch just turns on the in-tank pump for whatever tank you have selected.

I got Bit on my Master Cylinder Too!

I am going with the 1.125" Bore. Napa 59 Bucks.

The Nice Counter Lady said Oct. 14 8-10AM 30% off if payed then will be ordered. $36.00 Bucks,Yea. Very Happy
Seal Kit for a MC rebuild from them from ChiTown over 40 with Shipping. No Thanks for a Honed out Rusted Bore Attempt. Evil or Very Mad

https://www.top5.com/coupons/napa-auto-parts

You Gonna Be Ready to Linem Up Soon? Cool  Wink  I Promise Not to Spray.

I Got the Other Big Block Fired a Couple of Days ago. She's Fun Semi Sideways in a Short Bed Boiling Big Mickey's Between Ditch's, Without The Easy Button Even Prssed! king

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 8th 2023, 1:58 am

You Went and Done Did it Now. The Good The Bad and/or The Ugly.Smile

I Started on My Bull Nose 4 Door 7.3 Dually.

That Stupid 85 F250 XLT HD 7.5/460 Lost me 20+ Pounds and at Least 10 Points of Blood Pressure {As in Lower, So That's Good I Guess}. Shit Happens When You Turn Off The FJB and Other News.

At Least It Did Not Cost Much More Then Chump Change So Far.santa

I Drug Out my SJC Repop Hardin/Harmon WTF Ever Marine Cast Iron Intake to Clean Up and Paint as Well as Picked Up a Little New Bump Stick and Lifters for 1/2 or Less Price, Then New, on Flee By The Bay... It May of May Not Go in It. The ShitBox Does Not Leak a Drop of Oil, Water or Any Other Liquid Now. Really Hate To Open it Up but, an Intake, That I Have, Meh, Why Not. The Top End Can Look Pretty at Least in Quik Silver Mercury Gloss Black...afro

I was Looking at the Heads that Came with the above Intake and They are D3 Marine Heads with No Exhaust Bump, Ported to the Bowls, on The Exhaust Side. No Air Holes Either. They Have Big 1.520" Springs With Dampers and Hardened Retainers. They Had CJ/SCJ Spring Pads Also, Until I Robbed Them for Something Else.

^ The D3's are Tempting but, Too Much Pain for Not Enough Gain. I'll Buy the Gaskets, and Do a Valve Job, if You want to Come Bolt Them on. Wink

I'll Even Throw in a Set of Ceramic Coated 1 7/8" Sanderson Headers, Since, I don't Know, Because  lol!

The Dually is Going Too... be More Problematic and Might/Could Cost a Few Bills. We'll See, It May Go Back to Hibrination, If it Is. Cool

Trucks are Fun Fast Trucks are Funner cherry

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 October 10th 2023, 3:26 am

X SCJ Marine Cast Iron Swap.

Blue Thunder FTW. Been Looking At it for Over 5 Years with Carburetors, Linkage , NOS Plates and Cobra Hat.

Time to Try It. Cool

It Ain't Right but I Bet it Goes Pretty Good, and I can Put Black Springs in the Secondary's and Probably be 850CFM or Less. 600Cfm if I Lock Them Out Completely. Wink

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger October 13th 2023, 10:01 pm

All loaded and ready to head to the Buick v. Ford shootout early in the morning.

Truck pulls nice and rides way better with some tongue weight!

1991 F-350 Img_2138
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller October 14th 2023, 10:49 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:All loaded and ready to head to the Buick v. Ford shootout early in the morning.

Truck pulls nice and rides way better with some tongue weight!

1991 F-350 Img_2138

The truck looks good with the trailer hooked up and the Mustang on it!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next