BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New valve train for OLD TFS A460's.

4 posters

Go down

New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Empty New valve train for OLD TFS A460's.

Post  Scott Foxwell August 17th 2021, 11:38 pm

Seems like I haven't posted here in forever but I thought this would be worth sharing. I've been working on this project for a while now and finally making some head way. This is a set of OLD TFS A460 heads that I resurrected from the dead. A customer bought them and wanted to run them on a small cubic inch truck pull deal (<500ci) and wanted the best valve train we could put on it since he's planning on 9000+ rpm and .950+ lift. I contacted Sheldon @ T&D to see what they offered for the "old" A460 heads and he said because of so many inconsistencies with those older heads, all they could do was make individual stands and once they were all set up, I had to weld them together with whatever method I came up with. I've been down that road before and if done right, it can be -OK- but it was going to be a lot of work and in the end, never as good as the one piece stands they make now. In the mean time, there was a brand new set of A460's in the shop for another customer, and a brand new T&D shaft rocker system (with a one piece intake stand and ex stands that bolted to it) for them sitting there and I said to myself, self, I wonder... :unsure: So I unpacked the new stands, tried them on the old heads and son of a gun if they weren't almost a perfect fit. But "almost" can still be a long way off. I spent quite a bit of time mocking up, measuring and checking geometry and came up with the needed changes. I contacted Sheldon with a detailed description and yeah, things are a little crazy right now for T&D so it took a little while but a couple days ago I finally got the stands and man, this was a home run! Pics will tell the story but I now have a new one piece intake stand shaft rocker set up for these old A460 heads. With Victory coated Ti valves, JHE spec'd PSI springs, Ti retainers and Ti locks, steel T&D rockers and 500cfm these bad boys oughta make some good power and some good rpm.

The old and the new...
New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Pxl_2010
New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Pxl_2011

There is enough clearance in the bolt holes for things to move around a little so to make sure the rockers are in the exact right location, I drilled and pinned the stands with 1/8" roll pins, on on each end.

New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Pxl_20210810_131754200-jpg

This is after the changes were made to the intake rocker stand. Checking sweep and geometry, this is the final result. The original stand was perfect for height (geometry), just needed to get the rocker closer to the valve

New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Pxl_20210806_165514598-jpg

Here's the sweep with the new exhaust rocker strands. That's as good as it gets.

New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Pxl_20210812_182936481-jpg

Some things weren't obvious till the changes were made like the location of the bolt hole and slot that bolts the rockers together. I'll have to move that over about .050". Other than that, this was a big home run for these heads.

New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Pxl_20210812_183738768-jpg
New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Pxl_2012

Here's the rest of the project;

New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Img_20210409_160954-jpg

Scott Foxwell

Mark Miller and nascar429 like this post

Back to top Go down

New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Empty Re: New valve train for OLD TFS A460's.

Post  QtrWarrior August 21st 2021, 11:51 pm

Looks alot like the Jesel setup on my old school A460's...
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

New valve train for OLD TFS A460's. Empty Re: New valve train for OLD TFS A460's.

Post  bruno August 22nd 2021, 9:54 pm

Very nice work Scott !!

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Scott Foxwell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 23rd 2021, 1:40 am

Looks exactly like my WW setup on mine. 😎
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

QtrWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down