BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are solid roller lifters STILL the weak link?

+4
Lem Evans
c.evans
dfree383
BigBlockRanger
8 posters

Go down

Why are solid roller lifters STILL the weak link? Empty Why are solid roller lifters STILL the weak link?

Post  BigBlockRanger May 24th 2011, 11:53 am

I mean they have been on the market for a long time and you still see threads about people with a solid roller that killed the bearings or axle then came apart and trashed an engine. It has gotten to the point that people just consider them a 'consumable' that has to be replaced periodically. Why is that? Why do we accept that idea and not demand a part that can be relied upon to perform it's job without worry or constant attention?

If you were going to improve roller lifters, what areas would you address? Axle size? Bearing style? Oiling?
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Why are solid roller lifters STILL the weak link? Empty Re: Why are solid roller lifters STILL the weak link?

Post  dfree383 May 24th 2011, 11:58 am

Problem is the spring pressures and lash.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Why are solid roller lifters STILL the weak link? Empty Re: Why are solid roller lifters STILL the weak link?

Post  BigBlockRanger May 24th 2011, 12:32 pm

Sounds like an engineering problem that needs an engineering solution.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 24th 2011, 12:46 pm

more of a physics problem.

RPM and Ramp Acceleration rates used.

Diesel stuff has run Solid Rollers for years, but they have very mild lobes and modest rpm.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans May 24th 2011, 12:50 pm

The increased valve spring loads of todays racing engines would be the culprit IMO. Additionally the more radical the lobe profile of the cam is, can be a culprit. The consumable items in todays good sportsman engine are the spark plugs, the valve springs and the roller lifters. The solution with the roller lifter issue, would include things such as the new Comp Cam Elite lifters, the Isky Red Zone lifters, Crower Hippo lifters and so on.

Also many guys are upgrading to bigger lifters such as the Mopar diameter .904" with which the roller wheel diameter goes from .750" to .815". Some guys are using bronze lifter bushings which provide a better wear surface. I've done that to Krisse's engine, but am still using the Comp Cams .875" diameter Z bar lifters. Then other guys are using the even bigger .937" diameter Jesel lifters, and they use a DLC coating on the outer surface of the lifter. Remember that a law of physics is that a force always wants to take the path of least resistence. Therefore the 800 -1000 lbs of open pressure is pushing the lifter body hard against the side of the lifter bore,,,,,especially with the intake pushrods in applications where there is a lot of side cant or side angle, such as C-460 heads, Pro-Filers, and so on. Those heads also require an offset rocker arm, because we are trying to get the pushrod "around" the intake port.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 24th 2011, 2:44 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:I mean they have been on the market for a long time and you still see threads about people with a solid roller that killed the bearings or axle then came apart and trashed an engine. It has gotten to the point that people just consider them a 'consumable' that has to be replaced periodically. Why is that? Why do we accept that idea and not demand a part that can be relied upon to perform it's job without worry or constant attention?

If you were going to improve roller lifters, what areas would you address? Axle size? Bearing style? Oiling?
They always were 'consumable'...just like fuel, brake pads and clutch disk. Like Charlie said.........spring pressures have went up and some of higher end/newer lifters are in order for lots of applications which have bigger rollers, bigger axles, more needles, 9310 rollers, forced oiling and pinned forks.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger May 24th 2011, 3:09 pm

After I posted this I saw a pic of the Comp Elite and they incorporate larger diameter axles which is something I was thinking needed to be addressed. Wow, they are spendy though. Smile

Thanks guys. I'm always trying to learn more about the art of engine building, not just what parts to use, but why they are necessary.

cheers
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  138 May 24th 2011, 3:28 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:After I posted this I saw a pic of the Comp Elite and they incorporate larger diameter axles which is something I was thinking needed to be addressed. Wow, they are spendy though. Smile

Thanks guys. I'm always trying to learn more about the art of engine building, not just what parts to use, but why they are necessary.

cheers

price a set of Jesel keyways, and what it takes to make em' happen....affraid those Comps look like a pretty good set-up for the price. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 May 25th 2011, 10:20 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:I mean they have been on the market for a long time and you still see threads about people with a solid roller that killed the bearings or axle then came apart and trashed an engine. It has gotten to the point that people just consider them a 'consumable' that has to be replaced periodically. Why is that? Why do we accept that idea and not demand a part that can be relied upon to perform it's job without worry or constant attention?

they are not the weak link Eric,the lash run too loose,or a weak valve spring will kill them,and sometimes the cam also
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 May 26th 2011, 11:12 am

i believe lash is the main trouble as the roller leave the lope it slows and at contact it skids up to speed. if the roller is left in contact with the lope at all times the load is not as much shock.. rev kits can help or less dwell its a crap shoot they will live but at less spring pressure less dwell less lift or keep replacing them

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Why are solid roller lifters STILL the weak link? Empty Consumables in valve train

Post  CDMBill June 28th 2011, 6:35 pm

I am finding that the cam is also a consumable at least with the set up I've been running: 1.8:1 rockers, Crane Ultra-pro lifters, comp roller, .440 lobe lift.

At 2.5 years the intake opening flanks have a slight groove worn in them. 3.5 years was also the life of the first roller lifter to die. I knew I had pushed them too long and planned to replace them this Summer, missed it by a month.

Roller cam bearings have been perfect for six years and four different cams.

I am doing machine work now for bushed bores and .937 Isky's with the mid-level EZ roll. I hope they last a long time as they are very spendy.

A heavy car, street driving and a lot of drag strip passes is a stupid plan when you're on a budget.

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum