BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new Guy Father and Daughter Project

5 posters

Go down

new Guy Father and Daughter Project  Empty new Guy Father and Daughter Project

Post  Nek February 15th 2017, 12:22 pm

Hi All
I am new here and want to say hi.
I have a 2001 Power Stroke 7.3 and my 18 year old daughter just purchase a 1986 F250 2WD with a  460 having 86000 miles on it that needs lots of work. It was parked for 6 years when we purchase  the truck.
1) First thing we did was clean all the mice s**t and nests out. Had to install a new fan because of mice damage.
2) We removed all the extra wires and junk the previous owner installed to haul a camper around.
3) We replaced the front brakes and rotars because they were locked up.
4) Installed new plugs and wires.

Daughter drove it to school several times than it stared to stall and would not start unless you let it set for a couple hours.
We checked the fuel filter on the carb and it is clean.
The truck has fuel pumps in the tanks with a switch on the dash and the 6 line fuel valve down by the front tank. I am thinking the truck needs a new fuel pump and filter and tank. So this is where we are today and looking to get some advice from the pros on this forum

Nek

Back to top Go down

new Guy Father and Daughter Project  Empty Re: new Guy Father and Daughter Project

Post  BBFTorino February 16th 2017, 2:24 am

Welcome. Those trucks are notorious for the tank switching valves going bad. I think they are about $30 from NAPA. Don't worry, GM trucks suffered from the same thing too!
Sounds like a carb rebuild may be in order if it sat and the gaskets and seals/diaphrams dried out, causing leaks and poor performance.
Also something to look at is the magnetic pickup unit inside the distributor. I have had them gradually go bad, which is very odd because usually it either works, or it don't, but I have had several of them quit working intermittently, causing stalling and backfiring out the exhaust.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

new Guy Father and Daughter Project  Empty Re: new Guy Father and Daughter Project

Post  stanger68 February 25th 2017, 4:09 pm

Try moving this post to engine tech. More people will see your post. Welcome to the site.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 25th 2017, 9:24 pm

Under the cab switch valve also has a filter the bottom screws off and they are a round filter there.  Most of people don't even know they have a filter in it just change the hole valve out
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick532 March 3rd 2017, 5:30 pm

Check the ignition box , they are also known to create the running problem you described

maverick532

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down