BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What determines internal or external balance

3 posters

Go down

What determines internal or external balance  Empty What determines internal or external balance

Post  cobra501 November 13th 2016, 9:02 am

I searched the forum and had no luck. Despite my accident and broke my crank , see engine stand thread below. I was building a stock motor for mock up but I was going to make it run and possible sell it to fund the project since my 501 would come avail when the 580 is complete for the Mustang. Here is the question going forward. when I received the F100 project in boxes and engine was disassembled I had a crank spacer. It was pretty ratty with wear groves all in it however I cant find it. Well I will need a replacement crank so how do I know if the replacement crank will need a internal spacer or external? I have a new flywheel and the original balancer . Thanks
cobra501
cobra501

Back to top Go down

What determines internal or external balance  Empty Re: What determines internal or external balance

Post  69F100 November 13th 2016, 12:09 pm

Does the flex plate have a weight on it if it does it is external if it doesn't have a weight it's a internal. Did the spacer have a hatch weight hanging off of it if so it is external if it is just round it is a inturnal. The balancer will work with both internal and external.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What determines internal or external balance  Empty Re: What determines internal or external balance

Post  rmcomprandy November 13th 2016, 12:42 pm

Any replacement crankshaft for a 580 will usually not be balanced "out of the box", (unless you pay an extra amount for it to be done).  In that case you will need to provide a bob weight and then have it balanced any way you want to pay for..

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cobra501 November 13th 2016, 9:19 pm

Thanks , flywheel has no weight but its unused in the box. spacer was internal balance piece. So what I have learned , they were not a match. Time to buy some parts.
cobra501
cobra501

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down