BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

internal vs external ballance

2 posters

Go down

internal vs external ballance Empty internal vs external ballance

Post  torino501 September 5th 2013, 8:03 am

i have a 2y crank and a asumming a 3y 460 crank.(cant see any marks on it)it did have a external weighted flywheel and hatchet weight.just with the naked eye the counter weights look to be the same size.(MASS)on a mild street build stock crank,scat h-beams,small dish probes .060 over.is it possible to internal balance the the external crank w/o Mallory metal.the reason I ask is I had a big bore 427w build using a scat 4340 crank and h beams with probe flat tops.this from every where ive hear is an external 28oz balance deal.so I got a 28 0z ati dampner and ford raceing steel fly wheel.the machine shop said there balancer wasn't having any of it.so the wound up neutral balancing the flywheel and removed the weight on the dampner.the removed some material off a few of the rod throws and the counter weights.looked all great to me.internal balance is usually better than an external.but giving the main parts im using(scat h beams,probe dish) is there any way the external crank be internal balanced w out a lot of material removed or mallorry added $$$$$....? is it doable...?

torino501

Back to top Go down

internal vs external ballance Empty Re: internal vs external ballance

Post  rmcomprandy September 5th 2013, 8:47 am

torino501 wrote:i have a 2y crank and a asumming a 3y 460 crank.(cant see any marks on it)it did have a external weighted  flywheel and hatchet weight.just with the naked eye the counter weights look to be the same size.(MASS)on a mild street build stock crank,scat h-beams,small dish probes .060 over.is it possible to internal balance the the external crank w/o Mallory metal.the reason I ask is I had a big bore 427w build using a scat 4340 crank and h beams with probe flat tops.this from every where ive hear is an external 28oz balance deal.so I got a 28 0z ati dampner and ford raceing steel fly wheel.the machine shop said there balancer wasn't having any of it.so the wound up neutral balancing the flywheel and removed the weight on the dampner.the removed some material off a few of the rod throws and the counter weights.looked all great to me.internal balance is usually better than an external.but giving the main parts im using(scat h beams,probe dish) is there any way the external crank be internal balanced w out a lot of material removed or mallorry added $$$$$....? is it doable...?
If the rods, pistons and pins are a lot lighter than OEM.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down