BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My position on porting heads,

+25
LivermoreDave
Nevs
KY JELLY
D. Sea
dfree383
Mark Laczo
Mark Miller
adrenaline269
torkair
95lightiningguy
Curt
rmcomprandy
70429scj
bbf-falcon
jesse
waypastcrazy
bruno
Old blue Racin Team
maverick
DanH
cbsuperduty
the Coug
richter69
Diggindeeper
c.evans
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My position on porting heads, Empty My position on porting heads,

Post  c.evans August 12th 2009, 11:06 pm

Guys,

I want to be "politically correct" and I want to say this tactfully. I have had a couple of PMs on the other forum that lead up to what I am trying to say. My primary responsibility is to port and flow the cylinder heads that Lem sells! There are two of us doing that full time, myself and Lawes, and it keeps us very busy. Lem is a dealer for Trick Flow, for Ford Racing, and for Jon Kaase Racing. I am the dealer for Profiler. That gives us a total of seven big block Ford heads that we can sell you. There are other Trick Flow Dealers on this forum and the old forum. Likewise I'm sure there are other Ford Racing dealers etc., and if you buy your new heads from those dealers that's okay. Please don't ask me to port and flow them. IMO that wouldn't be right, so I won't do it.

However, as with everything there are a few exceptions. For example, if you have done business with Lem, such as bought a SVO A-460 block from him, or bought a set of pistons and a cam from him. Bottom line, if you are in good standing with Lem and he says go ahead and port those Hemi heads that you got from Kaase, then I will port them. I hope this explains my position, and I hope I have not offended anyone.

Thanks,
Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

My position on porting heads, Empty Re: My position on porting heads,

Post  Diggindeeper August 12th 2009, 11:23 pm

I understand where you're coming from,
perspective; The father in law owns a cardlock gas station. Diesel, Gas, you have an account, pay per month, he later installed credit card slots...so joe blow can stop and get gas or diesel anytime. Its an unmanned but open 24/7 deal. They had a fuel shortage a while back, their supplier was short on fuel. He shut down the credit card access, and left only the Cardlock holders access to the fuel. He said it pissed some people off but his Regular Customers had fuel to put in their rigs when they slid their cards in. So there is the odd person who wont go there now, but the guys who drop 20G's a month on fuel are still going.

Its understandable to take care of your own first. If it causes hard feelings, those people do not understand economics.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 12th 2009, 11:34 pm

Uhh ohh........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug August 13th 2009, 2:07 am

Charlie I would like to add something to your post, I do not think it is fair for someone to ask for port dementions of a set of heads you ported so they can avoid the cost of having their heads ported, just not cool....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 13th 2009, 8:21 am

You can give the numbers, don't mean they have to be right........ Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cbsuperduty August 13th 2009, 10:24 am

I agree with you completely. If/when I move classes I will be buying a setup of heads from Lem/Shawn and have them sent your way so it won't matter anyway.
cbsuperduty
cbsuperduty

http://yesdeeretruck.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH August 13th 2009, 11:22 am

richter69 wrote:You can give the numbers, don't mean they have to be right........ Very Happy
The right numbers. port /valve specs numbers are the only one that matter , the flow numbers are the result of that work. does one have the right to a porters specs for free---NO. the Flow numbers are only advert./brag ,

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 13th 2009, 6:56 pm

I won't bring a steak into a fancy reataurant and ask the chef to work his magic on it, either. Wink
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Old blue Racin Team August 13th 2009, 7:00 pm

Very true mav
Old blue Racin Team
Old blue Racin Team

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug August 13th 2009, 7:31 pm

maverick wrote:I won't bring a steak into a fancy reataurant and ask the chef to work his magic on it, either. Wink

I have been to some fancy steak places that I ask if I needed to go back and show the Damn cook how to cook one though. some people just don't know......

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans August 13th 2009, 10:34 pm

the Coug wrote:Charlie I would like to add something to your post, I do not think it is fair for someone to ask for port dementions of a set of heads you ported so they can avoid the cost of having their heads ported, just not cool....

Randy

Thanks Randy for mentioning that. Yes, I heard about that deal. The guy called you wanted measurements off of the heads I just did for you, so he could port his own heads. He was out of Mississippi I believe. That wasn't cool on his part.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 14th 2009, 10:16 pm

great thread Mr. Evans , i can completely respect your positon on porting on COG heads { Customer's Own Goods } that is the same policy we follow here at work. You spend so much time with a client and give him all this pertinent information and he ends up buying product off of ebay or another vendor and then expects you to do the installation ( because he knows you are the expert ) no, no, no aint gonna happen here. More power to the experts Very Happy

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  waypastcrazy August 14th 2009, 10:50 pm

This thread is spot on. Just good moral thinking.when! not if I get my heads from lem. If I need ported later as I grow would that be acceptable?
waypastcrazy
waypastcrazy

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans August 14th 2009, 11:53 pm

waypastcrazy wrote:This thread is spot on. Just good moral thinking.when! not if I get my heads from lem. If I need ported later as I grow would that be acceptable?

Cetainly that's fine. We have had customers before that didn't want their heads ported at the time they bought them, and then the next year when the engine was freshened up, they wanted their heads ported, and I was glad to oblige.

Also guys, notice that I said "another dealer" in my original post. That's what I meant. I do not want to discourage somebody that may have bought some parts from another racer or forum member. I'll be glad to port them. For example; IF Steve Neville had a new set of A-460 heads he was planning on doing a build with, and then his plans changed and he wanted to move up to C-460 heads and puts his A-460 heads up for sale. Then Jon Faubion buys or trades for his (Steve's) A-460 heads. That's fine and I'd be happy to port Jon's A-460 heads. I think you all understand.

Thanks,
Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse August 15th 2009, 1:27 am

i hear ya
and i am glad you brought it up
i bought my svo block-cam-lifters-balncer-rockers-
and i have a set of olivers put a side and a crank from lem
he is also gonna do me up a set of pistons
and all the rest like gaskets timming set bearings ect are gonna come from lem
but i just dont have the cash to buy new heads
so i gotta run my old Aheads next season
i would like you to touch them up
and put new valves springs all the fun stuff and see if you can help the flow a bit
so would this be an exception?
my plan was to buy a new set of 18 bolts from lem and have you do your thing to them
but i didnt plan on the motor going down this season
jesse
jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 16th 2009, 6:17 pm

I bought my complete engine assembly thru Lem,but my A heads was bought from a forum member and my A460 intake was bought from a diff forum member. Charlie was kind enough to port both for me even though someone had rubbed on them before him. Plus he showed me what they flowed before he and Mike Phillips did the VJ and he rubbed on them somemore. He picked them up quite abit.
Thanks again Charlie Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

My position on porting heads, Empty reason

Post  70429scj August 16th 2009, 10:52 pm

This is the exact reason I bought my trick flow heads from lem. There great for the shortblock I'm using now but when I move up to a larger shortblock they will need charlies rubbing.
Steve
70429scj
70429scj

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 19th 2009, 1:01 pm

Similar to Charlie, I will install large valves and "bowl" port heads just like doing normal business with a valve job however, I will only completely port the heads if I am also building the engine.

An engine built by somebody else will NOT have completely ported heads by me on it.

EDIT: Well, Adney Brown is the exception, lol.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt August 19th 2009, 10:41 pm

I'm a bit giggity about my new Uncle Charlie king "C" heads. Will be fun to dyno the 598 with the Kentucky head hunters. I love you
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno February 4th 2010, 10:35 pm

Cool

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy February 4th 2010, 11:07 pm

I agree with Charlie on this. When I do business locally I try to buy as much as I can from that business, it is just the way I was taught that if you get services from someone buy from that person.
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair February 4th 2010, 11:18 pm

I can totally understand where you're coming from there Charlie, it's just downright disrespectful for another dealer to ask you for port dimentions on heads just so they can rip off your hard work and experience to make a quick buck. I'm really looking forward to getting my pistons, cam setup, and various other odds and ends for my build from you and your brother. Even spoke to Lem on the phone a couple weeks ago and despite a bad connection I got a really good sense that he's A LOT more than just a parts dealer, he actually cares, unlike all the chebbie-tards out where I live.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  adrenaline269 February 5th 2010, 1:42 am

I apreciate all both charlie and lem have done on here and the phone call from Lem on setting me up with a new package for this year, Sorry I found a great deal on a used set of C-460 heads and such, instead of trying to get my P51 heads ported. So for future refrance who is a good porter that can port my P51 heads? Some of us are just looking for the best person to do a job or buy the right part from, I am a very loyal person and have no problem spending money with someone who looks after me. I drag my motor 12-14 hours through the mountains to get work done because my builder looks after me and is good at what he does. I would love to give you guys a chance to build or sell me parts but if I have a problem I can not drag or ship my motor to you have it fixed or checked out then have it shipped back 3000 miles in less than a week so I can be back racing the next weekend. I bought my P51 heads from Kasse over 2 years ago and he spent the time to talk to me about a new product that he builds when not many people had even heard of these heads. Sorry if I come accros as a dick that is not my intension, what I am saying is I have no desire to steal someone elses work and engineering I just want the best person to do what they specialize in IE porting these ford heads and be loyal to those who have got me this far

adrenaline269

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller February 5th 2010, 1:54 am

So if i wanted a set of Aluminum A-429 heads ported you wouldn't do them?I bought them back in 2001 or 2002 or around that time.I didn't get them off anybody on here,i don't have the money now to do them just asking.I was just asking for the future so i would know i would have to send them somewhere else?I can see where you're coming from you have to take care of your own providers first.But i don't have deep pockets and when bought my heads i only paid $1,000.00 for them complete in the Ford boxes.I know i would have had a hard time buying them for that price from probably anybody at that time.If i read this wrong i'm sorry but it sounds like in my case you wouldn't want to port them.I can see where you probably wouldn't have the time though,Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 5th 2010, 2:56 am

Guys,

What I'm trying to say is that Lawes and I are both busy doing heads and manifolds. Porting and flow testing heads takes time, lot's of time. Our first priority is to port and flow the heads and manifolds Lem sells, and we will always do them! Another priority is to take care of previous customers that we have done heads for. There are four sets of heads in here now that belong to previous customers, but they either need freshen-up valve jobs, or they need major repairs. For example a set of pulling truck heads in here have had two chambers welded, milled, new seats and 8 new guides, along with an all new set of titanium valves. Repairing these blown up heads takes a lot of time also. As a result we get a backlog of heads to do, especially during the off season. Then as I said in an earlier post, if you've bought racing parts from Lem and he wants us to do your heads, even if you got them somewhere else, then of course we'll port and flow them.

However, IMO there is enough head porting business to go around, and there are certainly other good head porters on this site, such as Bret Powell, Randy Malik, Blake, Dave McLain, Scotty, and Jon K's head porter, along with others that aren't even on this site such as Scott Main. I can't remember them all, but feel free to use them. What I'm saying is, that if you bought a set of heads that Lem sells,(FRPP-SVO, Trick Flow, Kaase, Pro-Filer) from some e-Bay store or mail-order house, then you call me to port them, the answer is no thanks, I'm not interested in porting them, furthermore I do not have the time to port them.

Thanks, and I hope this clears it up,

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next