BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added

+23
gmsmkr
bc474
Tomasw
maverick
70FB
72mav
zbob
supervel45
Mark Miller
Ranch71460
8liter
bruno
jbozzelle
AZFairlane
DFI429
richter69
jasonf
FalconEh
Mike R
bbf-falcon
69F100
schmitty
billandlori
27 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Empty Re: How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added

Post  70FB April 1st 2016, 10:10 pm

SWEET!!! I know a guy with a Zephyr I'm waiting on to get rid of.
Nice work!!!!
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Empty Re: How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added

Post  72mav April 2nd 2016, 10:52 am

Bill,
Stuffing your engine from underneath was really using your noodle. Thought you were building a FWD Wink
You will have to bring her by one of theese days.
As for my junk, the sheetmetal is half done. Stiii have lots to do of course. This Summer is gonna be very busy, so im sure the ole Maverick will suffer again.

Leaving for Alabama tomorrow. Pay a visit to Kim Smileys and run his car next Saturday if the weather holds there.
See ya!
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 2nd 2016, 12:09 pm

72mav wrote:Bill,
Stuffing your engine from underneath was really using your noodle. Thought you were building a FWD Wink
You will have to bring her by one of theese days.
As for my junk, the sheetmetal is half done. Stiii have lots to do of course. This Summer is gonna be very busy, so im sure the ole Maverick will suffer again.

Leaving for Alabama tomorrow. Pay a visit to Kim Smileys and run his car next Saturday if the weather holds there.
See ya!
Al

Thanks Al! I figured that's how they do it at the factory so there must be something to it!! I told my neighbor about doing it that way and he said he has smashed windshields, broke countless fittings and likely fingers trying to get an engine in from the top. One slip of the chain and all kinds of bad things can happen lol!! This was very controlled and stable, and lifting the front of the car is much lighter than lifting the engine/trans!

The weather should be nicer in Alabama!! We have a friggen snow squall warning here today lol!! Good luck!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav April 6th 2016, 10:37 am

The weather is holding so far. Mid-70's would prefer hotter for the kids swimming. Great for racing though, if it holds out. I hope it does, we were rained out last year.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick April 7th 2016, 5:16 pm

Weather prediction is "severe clear" for Saturday.  I'll bring the car and camera. Cool

No worries, Al. This track is absolutely the smoothest piece of concrete you've ever seen, and should be well prepped because the GASSERS are running that day.... and they like to put on a show by jerking the hoops in the first 3 gears. The Maverick is now set up to leave soft, straight and smooth so it'll be stuck to the track like snot on corduroy. Wink
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav April 8th 2016, 2:55 pm

No w ories here...
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 8th 2016, 3:22 pm

maverick wrote:it'll be stuck to the track like snot on corduroy. Wink

Now that is stuck!!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav April 8th 2016, 3:28 pm

No w ories here...
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  Tomasw April 18th 2016, 8:29 pm

What brand of headers are you using? and what size primary's do they have?
Tomasw
Tomasw

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 19th 2016, 11:57 am

Tomasw wrote:What brand of headers are you using? and what size primary's do they have?

I used the Hooker Super Comp engine swap headers http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hok-6224hkr/overview/year/1985/make/ford/model/mustang They are 2" primary and 3 1/2" collector.

I would not recommend them, they didn't fit too well. I've heard a lot of people have had issues too.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 23rd 2016, 10:55 pm

Got the front end back together. Getting close!!

How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Img-2017

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 23rd 2016, 11:49 pm

I also took my carb spacer off and now the hood closes with the carb on but there isn't much room for an air cleaner. I am thinking about making an air box that runs back to the cowl.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  bc474 April 24th 2016, 5:16 am

Nice work. It looks very good especially those sub-frame connectors you made. I have a Zepher and would like to keep the stock hood also. I plan on using a torker II intake. I have a couple questions. What engine mounts did you use? Did you have any steering shaft problems using those 1.5" spacers?

Thanks BC

bc474

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 24th 2016, 1:51 pm

bc474 wrote:Nice work. It looks very good especially those sub-frame connectors you made. I have a Zepher and would like to keep the stock hood also. I plan on using a torker II intake. I have a couple questions. What engine mounts did you use? Did you have any steering shaft problems using those 1.5" spacers?

Thanks BC

Thanks BC!

I have the Ford Racing 460 swap mounts, the oil pan is very close to the rack but not touching. I still have to put the steering shaft in but on the Thunderbird I had to push the shaft into the steering column to get the U joint closer to the firewall and weld a sleeve on the shaft to get the length back.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr April 25th 2016, 10:53 am

I like this build all you need is some 10" wide steel wheel for the back and put the stock hub caps back on it will be a killer sleeper..... nice work
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 25th 2016, 12:00 pm

gmsmkr wrote:I like this build all you need is some 10" wide steel wheel for the back and put the stock hub caps back on it will be a killer sleeper..... nice work

I hear that!! I've been looking around for some steelies but the pickins are pretty slim up here. I have a set of the turbine wheels that are 7" wide so I might run them with some 8.5" slicks or something. I would love to get some drag radials on steel wheels.

I live in a fairly small town but there are a lot of gear heads, so I've been keeping it under wraps!! Try and keep it as sleepy as possible!!

Thanks for the props!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori May 15th 2016, 7:15 pm

Getting the engine bay all buttoned up. Haven't had a lot of time to wrench on the Fairmont lately, the big truck has been needing some work.

How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Img-2019

How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Img-2018

The grey paint sure makes it look like a black and white pic lol. The engine block is Ford blue.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh May 15th 2016, 8:08 pm

billandlori wrote:Getting the engine bay all buttoned up. Haven't had a lot of time to wrench on the Fairmont lately, the big truck has been needing some work.

How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Img-2019

How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Img-2018

The grey paint sure makes it look like a black and white pic lol. The engine block is Ford blue.

Bill

Looking Great Bill,
Ultra clean very Cool. If you are looking for steel wheels look for custom wheel/ wheel repair shops in ON they should be able to widen ones like you have on the car in the above picture to the size/backspacing you want. Yes to the street slicks. cheers
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori May 15th 2016, 8:26 pm

FalconEh wrote:

Looking Great Bill,
               Ultra clean very Cool. If you are looking for steel wheels look for custom wheel/ wheel repair shops in ON they should be able to widen ones like you have on the car in the above picture to the size/backspacing you want. Yes to the street slicks. cheers

Thanks man!! I'll check into that!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller May 16th 2016, 1:15 am

Looking good keep the pictures coming when you get them!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori June 11th 2016, 6:50 pm

I've been having some repairs keeping me busy on my truck lately. But still making some progress.

This is the carb clearance, not much but I should be able to keep it under the hood.
How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Img-2011

Fab'ed up a torque limiter
How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Img-2012

Found a place called Green Sales in Cincinnati that has a load of OEM Ford parts. Got this trim piece in Ford packaging with all the hardware!! Very nice stuff.
How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Img-2013

I hope to get some fire in the hole next weekend.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 19th 2016, 9:59 pm

Still no fire in the hole...these last detail things sure take some time! I need to get the shifter and trans cooler in, and I decided to drop the gas tank and install a bigger extended pickup tube.

I got the exhaust finished up:

How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Img-2014

Lol, I have full duals with an X pipe and dumps under the car, just trying to throw the chevy boys off!!

How About Another LS Fairmont????? NOT! Video Added - Page 3 Img-2015

Getting pretty close.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh July 19th 2016, 10:28 pm

Looking Great Bill,
That is going to be one serious sleeper Twisted Evil Just a comment on the ignition box in the engine compartment, electronics do not like heat, so you may want to make a heat shield between the box and headers, and maybe plumb a duct to blow fresh cold air on the box.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 20th 2016, 5:01 pm

FalconEh wrote:Looking Great Bill,
         That is going to be one serious sleeper Twisted Evil Just a comment on the ignition box in the engine compartment, electronics do not like heat, so you may want to make a heat shield between the box and headers, and maybe plumb a duct to blow fresh cold air on the box.

Good call, I was wondering about that. I figured the factory mounts them there so it should be alright, but they are likely build a lot tougher. I think I will just mount it on the outside of the apron, under the fender.

Great....another small thing to do!!!

Thanks for the help!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori September 4th 2016, 12:29 am

Well, I finally got this thing out on the road!! It sure sounds a lot snottier than I remembered!! Fun little car.

I went to fill up the tank and this guy was pumping gas at another pump, he just about broke his neck checking it out. I got out and started pumping and he says "You got a 302 in that?" I said yeah, its warmed up a bit. He says, "My dad had one of those....but it sure didn't sound like that!!" Ha ha, was hard to keep a straight face!!

The suspension that I got from What Bumper works amazing, even with the little all season radials it hooks not bad once you get it rolling. Even with the solid control arms and thru floor connectors it rides real nice and quiet.

Just wanted to thank all you guys for the inspiration and ideas over the last couple years!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next