BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

compression issues

4 posters

Go down

compression issues Empty compression issues

Post  jusstsam November 8th 2013, 3:50 pm

Forgive me in advance for any lack of learning that drives me to these questions. So I have a 460 cobrajet set up. Was burning oil and fouling out a few plugs so I figure I need a valve job. Pull the intake and see it is leaking from bad gasket setting. Gasoline has gotten into the oil and the #4 cylinder head was full of oil gas and water. I was fairly confident I didnt need a valve job anymore and I could get away with cleaning up the intake, valley/pan, change the oil and run it. I swapped out for new lifters and glad I did because they were all frozen but 2. While adjusting lash I compression tested and was fine until I got to 5 and 7.
Cold dry test 155 across but #5 was at 90. #7 over 200. Repeatedly. I am thinking I may have buildup in 7 and the gas in yhe oil may have damaged the rings on #5? Could it be a valve issue as previously thought? Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jusstsam

Back to top Go down

compression issues Empty Re: compression issues

Post  LivermoreDave November 8th 2013, 4:00 pm

Gasoline in the oil is a killer! If you have lifter issues there may very well be other issues that haven't raised their ugly head yet! May be a good time to check bearings, camshaft lobes and valve guides.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  jusstsam November 8th 2013, 6:09 pm

How does one check valve guides? I havent done this much internal work since high school

jusstsam

Back to top Go down

Post  kim November 8th 2013, 6:50 pm

With a guide gauge tool. Various rod diameters as feelers, much like feeler gauges,

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  jusstsam November 8th 2013, 9:04 pm

Could a blown head gasket cause the two cylinder s to act this way?

jusstsam

Back to top Go down

Post  kim November 9th 2013, 12:13 am

Didn't read initial post, sorry. Rings washed out on 5 cam wiped out on 7. Time for a rebuild.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  jusstsam November 9th 2013, 12:39 am

This is a newish motor. I think its a combo of a bad intake seal, then lifters going out from sitting too long. Then valve guides going out.

jusstsam

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger November 9th 2013, 12:58 am

Knock the porcelain out of an old spark plug and tap to 1/4" pipe and add a air compressor fitting and put some air to each offending cylinder with the pushrods removed. If air comes out the intake you have a intake valve bad or out exhaust bad exhaust valve, air comes out of the crankcase=bad ring seal, air out the radiator=blown head gasket or cracked head. Costs about $3 and can give some insight into the issues before you have to tear it down.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down