BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you raise compression by changing rod length with same compression height?

5 posters

Go down

Can you raise compression by changing rod length with same compression height? Empty Can you raise compression by changing rod length with same compression height?

Post  starsky460 March 23rd 2012, 12:56 pm

Newbie here. Looking at doing a 532 stroker build, bore of 4.300, stroke 4.440, piston overbore of 0.080 and rod length of 6.800.
I currently have JE pistons part number 170880 which according to JE the specs are Compression Distance 1.350, Piston Head Volume (cc)+39.00cc,
which make compression 9.9 to 1 with 74 cc heads. Without a bunch of changes, I want to raise compression to just over 10.0 to 1 and was wondering
if a change in rod length from 6.8 to 6.7 would do that or would I need to change pistons? Thanks

starsky460

Back to top Go down

Can you raise compression by changing rod length with same compression height? Empty Re: Can you raise compression by changing rod length with same compression height?

Post  schmitty March 23rd 2012, 1:31 pm

No, if you install a shorter rod, you are lowering the piston in the bore and lowering the C/R. If you wish to raise the C/R, you might be able to mill a little off of the heads, or deck the block, depending on how much piston to valve clearance you have, and where the piston is at in relation to the deck. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Can you raise compression by changing rod length with same compression height? Empty Re: Can you raise compression by changing rod length with same compression height?

Post  starsky460 March 23rd 2012, 1:42 pm

Thanks Schmitty ! Very Happy

starsky460

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 23rd 2012, 7:13 pm

schmitty wrote:No, if you install a shorter rod, you are lowering the piston in the bore and lowering the C/R. If you wish to raise the C/R, you might be able to mill a little off of the heads, or deck the block, depending on how much piston to valve clearance you have, and where the piston is at in relation to the deck. Cool

You can but, not the way he is talking. You need a longer rod and machine that length difference off the piston flat area, (which changes that piston's compression height slightly), and makes the dish smaller..

Let me get this straight ... it has 9.9/1 now and just over 10/1 is wanted??? Is there a reason other than being anal??? Just mill the heads another .005".

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starsky460 March 23rd 2012, 8:44 pm

No, actually with the heads I have it's closer to 9.7 to 1. I m probably just going to leave it the way it is.

starsky460

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug March 23rd 2012, 9:06 pm

You will never know the difference in that small of a compression change....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave March 24th 2012, 1:18 pm

If my math is correct, your rotating assembly totals 10.37" of effective length. What's your blocks main bore center to cylinder head mating surface dimension? Also I like Randy's thinking. Is a bit under vs. a bit over worth the investment to you?

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 24th 2012, 2:17 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:If my math is correct, your rotating assembly totals 10.37" of effective length. What's your blocks main bore center to cylinder head mating surface dimension? Also I like Randy's thinking. Is a bit under vs. a bit over worth the investment to you?

Dave.

I think your math is wrong.

1/2 of 4.300 = 2.15"
the rod length specified = 6.800"
piston compression height = 1.350"

That's 10.300"

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave March 25th 2012, 1:58 pm

starsky460 wrote:Newbie here. Looking at doing a 532 stroker build, bore of 4.300, stroke 4.440, piston overbore of 0.080 and rod length of 6.800.
I currently have JE pistons part number 170880 which according to JE the specs are Compression Distance 1.350, Piston Head Volume (cc)+39.00cc,
which make compression 9.9 to 1 with 74 cc heads. Without a bunch of changes, I want to raise compression to just over 10.0 to 1 and was wondering
if a change in rod length from 6.8 to 6.7 would do that or would I need to change pistons? Thanks

Sorry Randy I didn't look around the corner, just using the information at hand!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down