BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crank?

+6
darren
466cj
Mustang-junky
rmcomprandy
bigjohn2007
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Crank? - Page 2 Empty Re: Crank?

Post  bigjohn2007 March 24th 2012, 5:46 pm

466cj wrote:
bigjohn2007 wrote:Thanks very good info.Now say i carry crank and it has be turn 10/10 would this change the size of the rod end or just bearing size.Is there two different rod end sizes i know the length is 6.605 ?

The thickness of the bearing changes. All car and light truck 429 or 460 Ford's use a 6.605" rods. Now some of the Boss 429's had a different length rod, but doubt you will be running into one of those. There is also a HD429 put in bigger trucks that has a different rod lenght.

Now you should get the rods and mains housing bores checked. The housing bore needs to be round and there needs to be a certain amount of "crush" when the bearing is installed into them. Basically the rod and main id is slightly smaller than the bearing OD so it is properly retained.

You need to measure the clearance between the od of the journal id of the bearing with it installed in its rod or main with the bolts torqued down. That clearance has to be right, too small and you can spin a bearing wrecking the engine, too loose and you will have low oil pressure and/or a knocking sould (bearing knock).
If the clearance is wrong, either a different bearing or polishing the crank, or adjusting the "crush" (reducing housing bore if less clearance is needed) are ways to get it right. Other than a different bearing, the others require equipment and skill normally found at a machine shop.
Info like this is better than any book u can buy imo!!!
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane March 27th 2012, 2:09 am

Were you actually using the D9TE block, you can also clearance the D9TE block to accept the 2Y series crankshaft as cast. I did that modification as recently as 2-3 weeks ago, took about 25 minutes.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 27th 2012, 11:50 am

Paul Kane wrote:Were you actually using the D9TE block, you can also clearance the D9TE block to accept the 2Y series crankshaft as cast. I did that modification as recently as 2-3 weeks ago, took about 25 minutes.

Paul ... you still need to cut down the oil slinger.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane March 27th 2012, 1:27 pm

True, just no counterweight machining. As usual, more than one way to skin a cat. Modifiying the block or counterweights, depends on the engine needs I suppose.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj March 27th 2012, 2:20 pm

Or just use an earlier block and not deal with all the modifications! Steve

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  Baitshop March 27th 2012, 7:12 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:Were you actually using the D9TE block, you can also clearance the D9TE block to accept the 2Y series crankshaft as cast. I did that modification as recently as 2-3 weeks ago, took about 25 minutes.

Paul ... you still need to cut down the oil slinger.

There are exceptions to every rule. I just put an early crank into a D9 lima truck block, and the oil slinger clearance in the block was present.

Baitshop

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2