BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

running a crank trigger setup from msd , i need a distributer now , i see the crank trigger one but says only for sheet metal intakes ???

4 posters

Go down

running a crank trigger setup from msd , i need a distributer now , i see the crank trigger one but says only for sheet metal intakes ??? Empty running a crank trigger setup from msd , i need a distributer now , i see the crank trigger one but says only for sheet metal intakes ???

Post  5pointslow August 22nd 2011, 10:49 pm

im using a vicktor intake just need some direction thanks
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

running a crank trigger setup from msd , i need a distributer now , i see the crank trigger one but says only for sheet metal intakes ??? Empty Re: running a crank trigger setup from msd , i need a distributer now , i see the crank trigger one but says only for sheet metal intakes ???

Post  racnrick August 23rd 2011, 12:42 am

You don't have to use the crank trigger dist. You can use any dist that will clear your intake, MSD, Ford, Mallory,,,,. You only will be needing and using the rotor and cap to distribute the spark to the plugs, you just have to phase the rotor to the cap, there is a MSD procedure to this.

On my last engine I had a MSD dist that had everything in, you just don't need it or use it. And if you use a regular MSD dist, you now have a backup to your crank trigger if it happens to quit on you at the track. You just unplug the wires from the crank trigger and plug it into the wires coming out of the dist and then retime your engine the regular way.

racnrick

Back to top Go down

running a crank trigger setup from msd , i need a distributer now , i see the crank trigger one but says only for sheet metal intakes ??? Empty Re: running a crank trigger setup from msd , i need a distributer now , i see the crank trigger one but says only for sheet metal intakes ???

Post  Wheelie58 August 23rd 2011, 7:06 am

Rick expalins the deal very well in the post above. At one time. MSD made a 8377 standard height crank trigger distributor for 460s. It is no longer available...I got the last 3 from one of the performance warehouses last year. You will most likely use either the 8580 or 8577, depending on your cap preference.
MSD has an accessory harness and switch for a ProMag that will allow you to connect both the crank trigger pickup and the one in the distributor. With the flip of a switch, you could select either one to have 2 timing settings without opening the hood or using a programmable ignition box. That could be a neat feature.
I am an MSD dealer....call or PM me if you need a price on anything.
Thanks,
Keith Fulp
www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com
6787-458-2033
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 August 23rd 2011, 7:13 am

One more note.....whatever distributor you choose...be sure and lock out the mechanical advance for use with your crank trigger. No need for mechanical rotor phasing. Smile
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 23rd 2011, 11:10 am

You only now need the distributor to distribute not activate the ignition so anything that's locked with a good cap & rotor will work fine.
A factory 351W distributor for fuel injection meant for a thick film ignition is locked ... just install a 460 gear.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 August 23rd 2011, 2:41 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:You only now need the distributor to distribute not activate the ignition so anything that's locked with a good cap & rotor will work fine.
A factory 351W distributor for fuel injection meant for a thick film ignition is locked ... just install a 460 gear.
Good tip Randy.....and one heck of a lot cheaper!
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down