BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear main seal replace

+3
jasonf
Lem Evans
sasilverbullet
7 posters

Go down

Rear main seal replace Empty Rear main seal replace

Post  sasilverbullet October 17th 2011, 10:32 am

My rear main seal is leaking a bunch on my 70 Lincoln MK III w/stock 460 and trans. I'll be pulling the tranny soon to replace the flexplate so I was thinking I'd whip out the rear main seal while I was at it.

Some questions...
1. Am I making things worse or better by wanting to do the rear main seal at the same time as the flexplate?
2. Fel pro makes two kits, both are two piece, one is rubber the other is "vitron" - which is better?
3. Do I have to drop the oil pan?
4. If I have to drop the oil pan, is there anything I should do with the oil pickup assembly? (seems to be oiling fine)
5. If needed, will dropping the oil pan be harder with the tranny removed?
6. I know I'll need two new exhaust donuts and a oil pan gasket, anything else you can think of?

sasilverbullet

Back to top Go down

Rear main seal replace Empty Re: Rear main seal replace

Post  Lem Evans October 17th 2011, 10:57 am

In your application I see no reason to use the more expensive viton unit.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 17th 2011, 11:51 am

Well all I can think is that it is going to be near impossible to drop the pan and have enough room to change it. It is the right time to change it but the pan will need to come down a lot more then the little bit of room you will have from the pan to the cross member. I would think while you have the tranny out you will have to lift the motor some for extra clearance.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 17th 2011, 2:33 pm

Not only are you going to need to drop the oil pan but you'll have to drop the rear main cap to change the seal too. You'll also need room to ge tthe wrench and a socket in there to get the main bolts loose. You may be able to get enough room with it in the car or you may have to get creative...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug October 17th 2011, 2:33 pm

Jason you can do it with a cutting torch just whack out the cross member and the pan should come out. you might have to cut the tie rods to but no biggy....... He might have a few problems getting it all back together but ..................... Presonally I think he might aught to remove the engine, be easier.....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 October 17th 2011, 7:55 pm

I agree with Randy I would just leave the trans in the car and pull the engine that way you don't loss all your trans fuild.It make changing the flex plate and rear main alot easier than laying on your back if you don't have a lift to work under.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  meandad October 17th 2011, 8:27 pm

the Coug wrote:Jason you can do it with a cutting torch just whack out the cross member and the pan should come out. you might have to cut the tie rods to but no biggy....... He might have a few problems getting it all back together but ..................... Presonally I think he might aught to remove the engine, be easier.....
Shocked scratch lol!

meandad

http://jpsherte@hughes.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down