BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

external filter

+3
DeepRoots
ultimatelenny
94MustangBBF
7 posters

Go down

external filter Empty external filter

Post  94MustangBBF November 26th 2014, 2:54 am

I have b&m exrernal inline filter on my car, i thought i had read on here (cant find it now) that the external filter is not ao good to have on a performance application? I have to pull trans in spring anyway because it needs gone through, not sure if i should. Ditch the filter. What do i have to dp to this trans to Make it live behind 500/600 hp?

Thanks
Travis

94MustangBBF

Back to top Go down

external filter Empty Re: external filter

Post  ultimatelenny November 26th 2014, 2:20 pm

If this filter is in line on the cooler lines, it is a definite no-no. You should not have anything obstructing cooling flow as that is also your converter charge oil.
ultimatelenny
ultimatelenny

http://www.ultimateconverter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  94MustangBBF November 26th 2014, 4:46 pm

ultimatelenny wrote:If this filter is in line on the cooler lines, it is a definite no-no. You should not have anything obstructing cooling flow as that is also your converter charge oil.

That is correct filter is inline with cooler lines.

94MustangBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  ultimatelenny November 26th 2014, 5:28 pm

Eliminate the filter, make sure there are no restrictions in your cooling lines
ultimatelenny
ultimatelenny

http://www.ultimateconverter.com

Back to top Go down

Post  94MustangBBF November 26th 2014, 6:56 pm

Will do, thanks for your help.

Travis

94MustangBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  DeepRoots November 26th 2014, 7:12 pm

I've got a few c6's with spin on filters in the cooler lines. Why is this a bad thing?
I'm not arguing the point, I'm claiming ignorance here.
As long as the fluid is clean what is the problem with this?

I change the filter once a year, no matter the hours, I have the filter on the output cooling line of the transmission so if something were to let go it wouldn't blow chunks into the cooler and back into the trans.

thanks!

DeepRoots

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl November 27th 2014, 12:53 am

the problem with a filter in the cooler lines is that if it starts to plug it will starve the rear sprag,and the planeterys of oil
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  94MustangBBF November 27th 2014, 2:27 am

Thank you for the replies guys, really appreciate it. This transmission is stock roughly 70,000 miles on it. Needs gone through. Right now it has tci deep pan and boss hog 3000 converter in it. I will be bracket racing this car. I do have a "race" type converter for it. Roughly 4000/4500 stall. What do i need to do internally to trans?

Thanks

Travis

94MustangBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  94MustangBBF November 30th 2014, 12:35 pm

Anyone?

94MustangBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl December 4th 2014, 10:34 pm

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105603
read
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 December 6th 2014, 10:59 am

Interesting to hear about the external filter no no. Let me ask a question ..... I too have external filter inline with the cooling lines. I've aquired a problem with my trans brake. Seems like after I use it once it works fine then it develops a problem ....meaning when I release it there is a delay before it'll launch, guess what, I done lost right then pisses me off! I've checked the selonoid, voltage, wiring, button,trans fluid many many times and I just can't figure out why. Think this filter could be the culprit? Give me your thoughts or other things to try. I've given up using the tb and now fb. Like to use the tb again and try to improve my 60's.
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick December 8th 2014, 6:12 pm

bigblockfox468 wrote:Interesting to hear about the external filter no no. Let me ask a question ..... I too have external filter inline with the cooling lines. I've aquired a problem with my trans brake. Seems like after I use it once it works fine then it develops a problem ....meaning when I release it there is a delay before it'll launch, guess what, I done lost right then pisses me off! I've checked the selonoid, voltage, wiring, button,trans fluid many many times and I just can't figure out why. Think this filter could be the culprit? Give me your thoughts or other things to try. I've given up using the tb and now fb. Like to use the tb again and try to improve my 60's.

No delay box in use?

maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 December 9th 2014, 1:21 am

bigblockfox468 wrote:Interesting to hear about the external filter no no. Let me ask a question ..... I too have external filter inline with the cooling lines. I've aquired a problem with my trans brake. Seems like after I use it once it works fine then it develops a problem ....meaning when I release it there is a delay before it'll launch, guess what, I done lost right then pisses me off! I've checked the selonoid, voltage, wiring, button,trans fluid many many times and I just can't figure out why. Think this filter could be the culprit? Give me your thoughts or other things to try. I've given up using the tb and now fb. Like to use the tb again and try to improve my 60's.

My button I had in mine I think was causing the delay on mine changed to a soft touch hadn't been back to the track yet to check it but have played with it here at the house seem a lot quicker with the soft touch switch.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down