BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External trans fluid filter recommendation?

5 posters

Go down

External trans fluid filter recommendation?  Empty External trans fluid filter recommendation?

Post  Mustang-junky January 27th 2017, 12:15 am

I'm thinking about adding an external filter to my bronco. It has a c-6 behind a 545 stroker, 40" tires. I plan to do a mix of street driving, mudding, and dirt road driving. Should I be looking at adding an extra filter?

The c-6 has a bunch of stuff done to it, extra clutches, manual shift, TCI trans brake valve body(I don't plan to use the brake, the valve body is something I already had, and I have done Franks TCI fix to it), and so on. I'm going to use two trans coolers in front of the radiator.

I was thinking of one of the spin on cartrige style filters that I could cut open and inspect every once and a while.

Something like this;

External trans fluid filter recommendation?  Der-13090_w
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13090/overview/

Thoughts? Thanks.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

External trans fluid filter recommendation?  Empty Re: External trans fluid filter recommendation?

Post  Frank Merkl January 27th 2017, 12:42 am

you can put it on the front line coming out of the trans , but you should have a pressure guage on both sides and any pressure differencial side to side change out the filter
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

External trans fluid filter recommendation?  Empty Re: External trans fluid filter recommendation?

Post  Mustang-junky January 27th 2017, 1:23 am

Thanks again Frank. Is there any point where you would say an extra filter should be necessary? Or pretty much just a precaution.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  DeepRoots January 27th 2017, 11:22 am

After I build c6, I like to run that filter. I run it for maybe 100miles, cut the filter open to inspect and if everything looks good, I remove the filter and housing.

DeepRoots

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky January 27th 2017, 3:13 pm

How much pressure should I see in the cooler lines?  

I was thinking of plumbing a couple cheap fuel pressure gauges.  Choices are 0-15, 0-30, 0-60, or 0-100psi.  

I don't believe that there should be much pressure in the cooler lines, but I'm no transmission expert. Thanks.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl January 27th 2017, 7:31 pm

0-60 should be good
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky January 27th 2017, 7:36 pm

Frank Merkl wrote:0-60 should be good

Thanks.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 28th 2017, 4:33 am

Be curious to see what reading you get . Can't say I've checked a C6.

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 28th 2017, 5:26 am

I used an external trans filter like that on a 351C/FMX combo and the fluid always looked great even after years & years of abuse.

Also used one on a 351C/C6 combo that ka-boomed a converter sprag/stator. Unfortunately I made the mistake of installing the filter after the cooler. Never could get all of the shrapnel & junk out of that cooler & had to trash it. Embarassed
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky January 28th 2017, 11:03 pm

Gregaust wrote:Be curious to see what reading you get . Can't say I've checked a C6.

It's going to be a while, probably not til spring, but I'll try to remember to post up my pressure findings. Just
got done with chemo and radiation for colon cancer last week. I'm still trying to get back to feeling like myself again. Ordered the parts though Very Happy

Jess

Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 29th 2017, 3:09 am

No worries . Hopefully you're up and at it again soon . Cool

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down