BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

External Oil Pump

+3
Pro98Mustang
Lem Evans
valleydawg
7 posters

Go down

External Oil Pump Empty External Oil Pump

Post  valleydawg July 27th 2012, 1:26 pm

I am currently running a Kaase oil pump and I am thinking about changing to an external oil pump during the winter. Anyone else running one on a A460 motor? Good or bad? Thanks
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

External Oil Pump Empty Re: External Oil Pump

Post  Lem Evans July 27th 2012, 1:31 pm

Mike Stevens and Phillip Oakley have them on their big A460 engines....works good.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg July 27th 2012, 1:37 pm

Lem - do you know what set up they are running? Any pics by chance? Thanks Randy
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

External Oil Pump Empty External Oil Pump

Post  Pro98Mustang July 27th 2012, 1:41 pm

Yes; we run one, the Moroso external pump belt driven off the crankshaft. I will NEVER go back to the stock type shaft driven pump I have a cardboard box full of the things that failed one way or another. With the Morose pump you can adjust the pressure to whatever you want it to be, we have ours set at 80 psi, We have never lost a belt or had any problems with the pump and we have been running it for about 5 years. Doing this gets rid of the inside the pan pump, the drive shaft and all the problems that go along with it. I have also canned my drop-in dizzy for the horiz. mounted belt driven dissy made by MSD, I will never use a standard type Dizzy again, I had David Willingham machine me a beautiful plug and clamp for the Stock dizzy hole in the A460 block. Last week she was clicking off 5:20/5.30 every pass with more power to spare running in a 5:30 index class, can't wait to turn the juice loose!!!!
Bobby Anthony

Pro98Mustang

http://bjanthony@centurytel.net

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans July 27th 2012, 1:45 pm

Pro98Mustang wrote:Yes; we run one, the Moroso external pump belt driven off the crankshaft. I will NEVER go back to the stock type shaft driven pump I have a cardboard box full of the things that failed one way or another. With the Morose pump you can adjust the pressure to whatever you want it to be, we have ours set at 80 psi, We have never lost a belt or had any problems with the pump and we have been running it for about 5 years. Doing this gets rid of the inside the pan pump, the drive shaft and all the problems that go along with it. I have also canned my drop-in dizzy for the horiz. mounted belt driven dissy made by MSD, I will never use a standard type Dizzy again, I had David Willingham machine me a beautiful plug and clamp for the Stock dizzy hole in the A460 block. Last week she was clicking off 5:20/5.30 every pass with more power to spare running in a 5:30 index class, can't wait to turn the juice loose!!!!
Bobby Anthony

Bobby,

Those e.t.s are good to hear. Does that mean you found the problem with that one cylinder (#3 I think).

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY July 27th 2012, 2:02 pm

Phillip set me up with a drysump over the winter it gets rid of that "well is the oil pressure going to come back up this time " feeling in the shutdown Shocked good solid oil system a little more costly but you have to look at your investment you have in your engine
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Pro98Mustang July 27th 2012, 2:02 pm

Yes; We found the problem right after the last time you and I talked, I thought that I had told you but I guess my 63 year old memory is starting to?? We finally dropped the oil pan and knocked the # 3 piston out of the hole, as soon as I popped out I noticed that I did not see a "dot" on top of the # 2 compression ring, sure enough when Dennis assembled that piston he accidently put that # 2 compression ring on "up-side-down", we checked that side of the engine for more rings like that one but found none, I also checked the end gap on the pistons on that bank of the engine and all were filed to .030 I mean dead on .030. We put everything back together after flipping the ring and fired that baby up and have not looked back. It has already run a 5.26 on the motor with more to come we are still adjusting, and have not made a nitrous pass as yet. We are planning on running another 5:30 race this weekend and also try to qualify for Pro-Mod (fast eight) which will require the use of the Nitrous. I't going to be fun.

Pro98Mustang

http://bjanthony@centurytel.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 27th 2012, 2:17 pm

Mike's deal.........

External Oil Pump HPIM1854Medium

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg July 27th 2012, 3:38 pm

Thanks
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird July 27th 2012, 5:00 pm

I've got a moroso pump on my A460 and it's great. Keown's engine that's in my car now has a peterson wet/vac pump on it, and it's an awesome set up . External pump is a great investment.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 27th 2012, 5:07 pm

I've had an external pump for over 10 years now, best money I ever spent..............real nice to go out there while the engine is running and bump up the press a tad if needed.............. Basketball

Mines an Aviaid, its a spur gear type pump, the bypass is also an Aviaid and is made into the oil filter housing.

External Oil Pump TV10-17-09011

External Oil Pump TV10-17-09003-9

External Oil Pump TV10-17-09005-4
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down