BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First broken parts of 2011

+5
56Tbird
bbf-falcon
richter69
Nevs
Wheelie58
9 posters

Go down

First broken parts of 2011 Empty First broken parts of 2011

Post  Wheelie58 January 2nd 2011, 8:03 am

I couldn't resist towing down to Adel Ga (South GA Motorsports Park) for a little test and Bracket race yesterday. I had the truck and trailer all hooked up and ready to pull out early, so I could get a few time runs. Fired up the old '97 Powerstroke.....it quivvered and dies..no start. Grrr. The check valve in the high pressure oil tank for the injection system was stuck open and let the tank drain out. So....45 minutes later, on the road and all is fine. Got to Macon and the traffic was stopped on I75. There was a bad truck accident, So I made it to an exit and found a local bypass route.
So I got to the track about 2 hours later than plan...but just HAD to run the bracket race anyway. The ony time shot, the car ran fine. I left about 200 pounds of ballast in the trunk, from the Unleashed race and killed 6 degrees of timing in low gear, not knowing the track. It ran a 9.21, a little quicker than I estimated, with the ballast. It was leaving high and hard, from 5,000 RPM. I barely got it cooled and they called S/P to the lanes for eliminations. In the lanes, I discovered that it was a 1/8 mile race, so I plugged a 5.89 on the glass. Second round I had a bad light.....052 to a .002 so I was done with a 5.91. In the shut-down area, the engine shut off, and I could hear some rather nasty noises, but not from the engine. Whatever broke in the transmission, turned the engine off. Replaying the video this morning, it sounds like a broken gear set, the way it was grinding as the car rolled to a stop. I am just glad it did not lock up the trans in high gear!
It is a 1.80 straight cut with about 150 passes behind the 605.
The 514 wore out a 1.80, but it took about 200 runs. It did not break, but I discovered it during a "freshen-up" with badly worn teeth and one fractured tooth on the sun gear.
I guess I need to keep an eye on the old 2-speeds a little closer. What a Face
Happy new year! Grinding my way into 2011!
Keith Fulp

Last edited by Wheelie58 on January 2nd 2011, 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellin')
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

First broken parts of 2011 Empty Re: First broken parts of 2011

Post  Nevs January 2nd 2011, 10:04 am

Sorry to hear that Keith. But at least the timing was good. Race cars are like big rigs, they will keep you humble! Get it fixed and best of luck!
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 2nd 2011, 11:25 am

First off that check valve as you call it is a quick fill valve and cannot allow the high pressure tank to drain, its usually a worn front cover allowing the pickup tube to loose its prime.

What tranny fluid are you using?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 2nd 2011, 11:33 am

Sorry for the badd luck Keith,but at least u have all winter to fix it and it will be fresh for spring racing.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird January 2nd 2011, 12:22 pm

Sounds like some of my adventures last year Keith !! Sorry about your misfortune my friend, but since you are officially retired now ,you'll have plenty of time to fix it.30+ years of being a mechanic for UPS ,this should seem like a piece of cake. I'm sure you can change it quicker than we did at Bowling Green, in your kick ass shop!!For you guys who don't know?? Keith is in tight with Bob Vandgrift and HotRod Fuller and their crews too..We got to hang out with them at the local watering hole when I was there...SUPER COOL TIMES !! I'll never forget cheers Your my HeRo Keith..you da man king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 2nd 2011, 4:52 pm

As long as we all got our shit together by June 16 (Hot Rod Reunion Bowling Green)we will be fine. I'm ready to race,drink Beer and apple pie.I've already put in for that week for Vacation. cheers

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power January 2nd 2011, 5:15 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:As long as we all got our shit together by June 16 (Hot Rod Reunion Bowling Green)we will be fine. I'm ready to race,drink Beer and apple pie.I've already put in for that week for Vacation. cheers
affraid I've always wanted to go to one of them.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 2nd 2011, 5:42 pm

bb429power wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:As long as we all got our shit together by June 16 (Hot Rod Reunion Bowling Green)we will be fine. I'm ready to race,drink Beer and apple pie.I've already put in for that week for Vacation. cheers

Sonny when you get alittle older maybe mommy will let you lol!
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power January 2nd 2011, 5:51 pm

69F100 wrote:
bb429power wrote:

Sonny when you get alittle older maybe mommy will let you lol!
No, when I have a daily driver I will be able to. I wouldn't want to drive my f100, would be an expensive trip Shocked Laughing Maybe I could ask my brother if he wanted to go but he "wouldn't want to put the miles on it, or spend the gas money, or drive all that way, or" Razz Maybe I could buy your 69 and drive it everyday cheers I'll give you EVERYTHING in my wallet lol! That is money...I want an 86 ranger, ain't getting one anytime soon.

Last edited by bb429power on January 2nd 2011, 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird January 2nd 2011, 5:51 pm

That's my main race every year to be at. The most Awesome show there is, so many old cars !!Good friends and lots of fun!![img]First broken parts of 2011 100_1501[/img][img]First broken parts of 2011 123_1090[/img]
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 January 3rd 2011, 4:59 pm

richter69 wrote:First off that check valve as you call it is a quick fill valve and cannot allow the high pressure tank to drain, its usually a worn front cover allowing the pickup tube to loose its prime.

What tranny fluid are you using?
I normally use plain old type F fluid. The first 1.80 wore out using BTE's "special" whiz bang fluid. I have been considering going back to a full synthetic, and will test it this summer.

I guess I need some more detail on the oil pressure deal. This truck (97 F350) has has this happen 3 times. Each time the high pressure tank was empty. I fill the tank, give it a tiny whiff of ether and it is fine. I would really like to fix it correctly.
This last occurance was after the block heater was plugged in overnight. Other times it was after it came in from a 500 mile hard pull, and the tank was empty 2 hours later. It is like the viscosity of the oil has smething to do with it. It only has about 130,000 miles on it.
Any input would be great.
Thanks!
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 3rd 2011, 5:16 pm

I seen on the DRR forum about certain fluids wearing the straight cuts faster than others.................have to go do some readin lol.

The tank is it empty before you ever crank the engine or right after it stalls and dies?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 January 3rd 2011, 5:57 pm

My tranny guy has had us using a Castrol bue hydraulic fluid. Not sure of the part # cause he gets it in 5 gallon buckets and I just carry a couple of gallon jugs to get it from him. He says the gears and things look great after using this fluid. I've been using it for several years now. I can get some part numbers if your interested.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 January 3rd 2011, 6:46 pm

richter69 wrote:I seen on the DRR forum about certain fluids wearing the straight cuts faster than others.................have to go do some readin lol.

The tank is it empty before you ever crank the engine or right after it stalls and dies?
It will crank up for about 3 seconds...stall...die...and then I find the empty tank.
Thanks!
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 3rd 2011, 7:27 pm

Need to see if the tank is empty before you start it, sounds like the front cover worn between the two pump gears and it allows the pickup tube to loose prime......it cant pick oil up fast enough for the tank to be refilled before the lp pump can resupply it. If this is the case your pulling the engine to replace the cover. I did have a similar issue by using a later hp pump on my 95, they use a check ball sert up in the pump instead of a standpipe like the 96 and later use..............short story the later pump on a 95 will actually let the tank drain. Instead of pulling the motor to replace the cover or mod the 95 cover i used a 1.5 quart acumulator and a moroso electric valve tied into the gp relay to fill the tank when I cycled the key..............worked like a charm, i even sold the setup to a buddy when i sold the 95 and he still had good luck with it to this day.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 4th 2011, 2:24 pm

richter69 wrote:Need to see if the tank is empty before you start it, sounds like the front cover worn between the two pump gears and it allows the pickup tube to loose prime......it cant pick oil up fast enough for the tank to be refilled before the lp pump can resupply it. If this is the case your pulling the engine to replace the cover. I did have a similar issue by using a later hp pump on my 95, they use a check ball sert up in the pump instead of a standpipe like the 96 and later use..............short story the later pump on a 95 will actually let the tank drain. Instead of pulling the motor to replace the cover or mod the 95 cover i used a 1.5 quart acumulator and a moroso electric valve tied into the gp relay to fill the tank when I cycled the key..............worked like a charm, i even sold the setup to a buddy when i sold the 95 and he still had good luck with it to this day.

Jon, is the 2001 the same? Mine does that. It's been empty before and after it cranks. After sitting for days or just coming off a 3 hour non stop trip. Any thoughts?

Keith, sucks that you have broken parts. But at least it wasn't at a points race and early in the season.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 4th 2011, 4:24 pm

Yep worn cover it sounds like.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down