BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something for KY and HeRo to work on.

+8
KY JELLY
TravisRice
the Coug
blown473
David Cole
richter69
Lem Evans
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Something for KY and HeRo to work on. Empty Something for KY and HeRo to work on.

Post  Lem Evans September 27th 2010, 7:27 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This might be long so hold on... I had been running BT heads w chev ports on my 572 alky motor, N/A in my dragboat. I dont have the cam specs but the rest is 16.8 comp, tunnel ram with Birdcatcher, complete flowed fuel system to match engine, Fully port BT's from Shannons Engineering, 4.5 billet crank, Oliver Rods, 4.5 bore. Turn the engine about 7300. Had no problem running 8.0's in the 1/4. We switched over to FMS A460 heads, Titainium Valves, 2.400 intakes, Old style short runner TR, same hat and fuel system with no changes, bored another 30 over so now it's 580. same comp,16.8 to 1, same cam. now it's 4/10ths slower. When we first started it, it was very very fat. The DA was very close the the same to the last time it ran with the old steup. We kept leaning the pill's down untill the would show colr on the plugs, went from a 125 to 135 to 140 to 150, adjusteing the High Speed everytime also to match. At 150 pill we go great color in the plugs, everything ran good, no excess fuel in oil but the et's never changed much, we ran between 8.49 and 8.40 all 6 passes we put on it. MPH was all in the 142-149 range and was dependant on my driving from what i could tell. The differance in the A460's is that they flow about 20% more air at the top end, .800 lift than the BT's did. Did I loose too much port volocity? We have not dyno'd the engine yet but are looking to. I'd like to get some idea's as to why first incase a change needs to be made. Im sure Im leaving out some important info so ask away and I will do my best to find the cam info.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Something for KY and HeRo to work on. Empty Re: Something for KY and HeRo to work on.

Post  richter69 September 27th 2010, 7:43 pm

must have put shaft rockers on it............

on a serious note the big heads prolly dont like the alky...........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Something for KY and HeRo to work on. Empty Re: Something for KY and HeRo to work on.

Post  138 September 27th 2010, 7:47 pm

richter69 wrote:on a serious note the big heads prolly dont like the alky...........

Suspect by bigger you mean larger chambers/ less comp? or just more "head"..lol but seriously?

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 27th 2010, 7:52 pm

Cam and intake manifolding would be the biggest suspects and yes it's not a meth hero cyl. head.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole September 27th 2010, 8:35 pm

How is the angle and placement of the injector nozzles?

Can't speak for the intake in question, but you have to totally rework the cast in bung on the intake on the A460 TFS single 4. That is the only thing I don't like about my intake. They dropped the ball on this part of the design. If you put the nozzle in just straight through the bung like most intakes, it will just spray the fuel straight into the roof of the port instead of at the valve head.

I made a little fixture jig, drilled the bung at the correct angle and then ground the bung off.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  138 September 27th 2010, 8:42 pm

David Cole wrote:How is the angle and placement of the injector nozzles?

Can't speak for the intake in question, but you have to totally rework the cast in bung on the intake on the A460 TFS single 4. That is the only thing I don't like about my intake. They dropped the ball on this part of the design. If you put the nozzle in just straight through the bung like most intakes, it will just spray the fuel straight into the roof of the port instead of at the valve head.

I made a little fixture jig, drilled the bung at the correct angle and then ground the bung off.

what are the FMS A460 ford intakes like, have any idea? and pics of your setup would be cool... Wink

Back to top Go down

Something for KY and HeRo to work on. Empty cyl head change

Post  blown473 September 27th 2010, 9:10 pm

Question for Charlie and Lem, I'm trying to learn from this post, is there a point at which the valves are just to big for the bore, and shroud it? A 2.4 valve is big, I'm just wondering if this could be part of it. Maybe his manifold too is a bad match for the new heads too.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 27th 2010, 9:28 pm

Valves can be too big for the bore.....that's not the biggest issue here...IMO.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 27th 2010, 9:34 pm

Personally I think the Cam is the culprit 2 totally different heads all together and they will use a different profile..... yes the Cam will work but not Optimum.....

Lem we saw this on my engine on the Dyno Remember.... my cam was slightly larger than Blakes but engine on the DYNO said Hell no... so My feelings it's the Camshaft and probably not helping with the Intake either.....

but who the Hell am I we only pulled 50 pulls that weekend.... Shocked

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice September 27th 2010, 9:46 pm

the Coug wrote:

but who the Hell am I we only pulled 50 pulls that weekend.... Shocked

Randy

You are "the Coug" Razz

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY September 27th 2010, 9:49 pm

That seems like an excessively big pill I would not think the fuel would atomize good unless he was running less than a .030 nozzle and that's not big enough for methanol , also would be curious as to what pump, nozzle size, and high speed relief pressure he is running.

I am sure if he is running the same cam the cylinder pressure has got to be different and not good.
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH September 27th 2010, 9:52 pm

yes the cam install installed LCA. Comp ratio the same , with the lack of specs , a larger dome must be used fit the A head . spark timing. dome shape , headers to start with

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 27th 2010, 9:54 pm

it's over on the "old" site.....

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 27th 2010, 9:57 pm

Wow.......I thought all a guy had to do was put injected alky on an engine. Gotta buy headers, cam and the like Laughing

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY September 27th 2010, 10:00 pm

I don't hang out there unless me and Fabio are arguing Smile

Let Cale Armscrow fix it for him lol!

wonder how it would run on gas too lol!
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH September 27th 2010, 10:07 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Wow.......I thought all a guy had to do was put injected alky on an engine. Gotta buy headers, cam and the like Laughing
Lem , you saying the flow velocity is the same for both heads ? lthat would be great .lol ADD: I didn't say needs new cam , headers can be mod . longer/shorter (if able to)

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 27th 2010, 10:21 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Wow.......I thought all a guy had to do was put injected alky on an engine. Gotta buy headers, cam and the like Laughing

I rekon the dude aint no HeRo.........bein he cant make it work............I'm sure he'll get some good internet advice on how to fix it........... Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice September 27th 2010, 10:27 pm

richter69 wrote:

I rekon the dude aint no HeRo.........bein he cant make it work............I'm sure he'll get some good internet advice on how to fix it........... Wink

I'd step over there and mention M5 and some green teeth, that may put him on the right track Jon. And maybe it has a S-10 smog pump holding it back ...... Laughing

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 27th 2010, 10:31 pm

Sounds like the wrong LSA to me.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 27th 2010, 10:34 pm

TravisRice wrote:
richter69 wrote:

I'd step over there and mention M5 and some green teeth, that may put him on the right track Jon. And maybe it has a S-10 smog pump holding it back ...... Laughing

Travis

Whats Don think about it?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY September 27th 2010, 10:50 pm

who Don with auto forums or teflon lol!
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 27th 2010, 10:53 pm

The slippery one.........I figure ole Travis could ask
him......... Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 27th 2010, 11:03 pm

Heck maybe Hemi Hunter should step in and help the poor feller....... Laughing

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 27th 2010, 11:07 pm

the cam spec's would be nice to know. Question
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice September 28th 2010, 5:58 am

richter69 wrote:The slippery one.........I figure ole Travis could ask
him......... Wink

I think you may be grabbing at straws if you are implying what I think you are implying. Rolling Eyes I thought you were the A+ know it all anyways turned HeRo ?? Laughing

richter69 wrote:You know the problem with the internet is you don't know how to take someone. I'm not gettin into a pissin' contest over some idea's that neither one of us could prove anyway on a dyno or a racetrack.

Now any of you other motherf-ers wanna have a go lets get it on.......... Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Cool

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next