BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

429 main cap help

5 posters

Go down

429 main cap help Empty 429 main cap help

Post  black556 May 22nd 2010, 1:16 pm

I just picked up a 429 d1ve-6015-aa block for very cheap but there are no main caps. Can any 429/460 main caps be used?

black556

Back to top Go down

429 main cap help Empty Re: 429 main cap help

Post  the Coug May 22nd 2010, 1:20 pm

personally I would NEVER buy a Block with no main caps Period...... do you realise with out main caps the Block is hmmmmm USELESS...... Blocks are a dime a dozen why pay for one with no caps....
Each Block has it's own Main cap Machined for that specific Block..... the clipping and sizing and Line Honeing is going to cost more than another Block.....so if you are going to do all that work have them put on 4 bolt splayed caps....

Randy

Last edited by the Coug on May 22nd 2010, 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  black556 May 22nd 2010, 1:23 pm

i understand this but i paid 150 for a block and a good c6. now i was asking for something helpful not a comment about i shouldnt have bought it.

black556

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs May 22nd 2010, 1:27 pm

black556 wrote:i understand this but i paid 150 for a block and a good c6. now i was asking for something helpful not a comment about i shouldnt have bought it.

You might not like Randy's reply, but he is correct. If you are going to replace the caps(and you must) put 4 bolt caps on it The align bore cost will be the same. His comment is helpful in my opinion, don't blame the messenger, you're the one who bought the block.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug May 22nd 2010, 1:31 pm

black556 wrote:i understand this but i paid 150 for a block and a good c6. now i was asking for something helpful not a comment about i shouldnt have bought it.

OK you don't like the Truth so I will tell you what you wish to hear....

You got a screamin Deal man I can't believe it. now just go buy some old junk caps off a Block in the Junk yard and slap them on and Give it Hell, Don't worry about Line Honeing them Go Cheap Heck the Crank might even turn when you get it all together... if it does Great even Better...Oh don't forget to Put a main Girdle on it so when it Lets go you will have this nice handy holder to pick up all the Junk with.... Good Luck....

and have a nice day
Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power May 22nd 2010, 4:27 pm

Yes, any SHOULD work. But like mentioned (and I don't think they were trying to be rude, but just trying to help) they need to be line honed or you will be doing a 2nd build with a different block. In my opinion, its like putting pistons from a different engine in it and not replacing the rings. scratch maybe that's not the best way to put it but you get my point. They will probably have to be cut & honed which doesn't take long at all. Just make sure they are within the recommended range (your machinist should have a book with that info in it) and they should be good with a nice set of bearings.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty May 22nd 2010, 7:42 pm

Yep you got a smokin deal on a good C6, and a block that will weigh up nice at a scrap yard. Yes the cost for machining for the new caps is going to be more than another block is going to cost, plus you still need to buy caps to put on it. Even if you do a 4 bolt splayed cap setup, you still need to find the front and rear caps from another block, because even the splayed cap deal is just the middle three. IMHO don't waste your time with this block and just go find another. I have seen plenty of good blocks for less than $100. If you are determined to use this block, PM me I may have a set of caps on a junk block that could be had. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug May 22nd 2010, 9:20 pm

Ok now on the realistic side, if you have to get another set of main caps off of another Block..... Why not just get a Block with main caps instead of rendering another Block useless so you can fix yours.... or buy a set of 4 bolt main caps and have the work done to your block to make it 4 bolt.. WITHOUT Ruining another block in the Process....

and ANOTHER thing Never buy a block with out main Caps NEVER..... if it does not have main caps it is junk so treat it as so.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power May 22nd 2010, 9:24 pm

the Coug wrote:Ok now on the realistic side, if you have to get another set of main caps off of another Block..... Why not just get a Block with main caps instead of rendering another Block useless so you can fix yours.... or buy a set of 4 bolt main caps and have the work done to your block to make it 4 bolt.. WITHOUT Ruining another block in the Process....

and ANOTHER thing Never buy a block with out main Caps NEVER..... if it does not have main caps it is junk so treat it as so.....

Randy
True, mine as well use the block that matches the caps so you know they work fine together. Unless its a bad block but fine caps. Were only trying to help, don't take it the wrong way.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down