BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Onan Gen set

+4
Glenn M.
bbf-falcon
Nevs
billandlori
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Onan Gen set Empty Onan Gen set

Post  billandlori April 25th 2010, 2:17 pm

Hi folks,

I have an old Onan generator. It is a model 4.0 BF-3CR 16000B. It came from an old Winny M/H.

From what I can gather it is a 4KW unit that runs at a nice quiet 1800 rpm.

I would like to set it up as a stand-by gen-set for the summer black-outs and what not!!

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for such a thing?

Thanks
Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Onan Gen set Empty Re: Onan Gen set

Post  Nevs April 25th 2010, 2:22 pm

Have you tried Onan? At one time they had such info on their website. Not sure if they still do however.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 25th 2010, 2:25 pm

Thanks Nevs I'll check it out. They are owned by Cummins now.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs April 25th 2010, 2:30 pm

You might have to call them, I did a quick search on their website, and I didn't find that model. I'm sure they still have a wiring diagram at the local Cummins dealership. If not, they should be able to get it.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 25th 2010, 2:31 pm

Negative on the Onan site, just newer units are listed.....

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 25th 2010, 2:33 pm

Northern Hyd. use too sell them. They still may. Give them a call Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs April 25th 2010, 2:34 pm

billandlori wrote:Negative on the Onan site, just newer units are listed.....

Bill

I hear ya, that's all I found...
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 25th 2010, 2:39 pm

I'm wishing I would have set this up on our Freightliner, would have cut down on all the idle time in the winter!!

I will give the Cummins dealer a call, thanks!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn M. April 25th 2010, 4:11 pm

Start here, might be what you need. I'm on a dial-up, didn't have the next 3 days to download the manual (It's big). Use page jumps, index, etc....

http://asavage.dyndns.org/Onan/display1.php?Path=900-0337&db=Onan&table=900_0337&Page=33

Hope this helps...
Glenn

Glenn M.
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 25th 2010, 4:22 pm

Glenn M. wrote:Start here, might be what you need. I'm on a dial-up, didn't have the next 3 days to download the manual (It's big). Use page jumps, index, etc....

http://asavage.dyndns.org/Onan/display1.php?Path=900-0337&db=Onan&table=900_0337&Page=33

Hope this helps...
Glenn

That's perfect Glenn!! Thanks a bunch.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 25th 2010, 5:51 pm

Bill what color wires you have coming out they should be black,black with yellow stripe,these will be the hot legs.The 2 white is nuatral,and green is ground.This unit might be a 220 volt, it being it came out of a motorhome it is most likely 115volt.The 115volt gens have 2 hot legs and will not be 220 volt if wired as it is a 220 unit.The 2 hot legs usally go to differnt panel boxs that the reason for the 2 hots and 2 nuatral.If the info tag is still on it it should say what it is if you can post a pic of the tag and I will try to explain how to decode it for you to tell if it is 220 or 115 volts.We use them in the Pace Trailers.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 25th 2010, 6:00 pm

69F100 wrote:Bill what color wires you have coming out they should be black,black with yellow stripe,these will be the hot legs.The 2 white is nuatral,and green is ground.This unit might be a 220 volt, it being it came out of a motorhome it is most likely 115volt.The 115volt gens have 2 hot legs and will not be 220 volt if wired as it is a 220 unit.The 2 hot legs usally go to differnt panel boxs that the reason for the 2 hots and 2 nuatral.If the info tag is still on it it should say what it is if you can post a pic of the tag and I will try to explain how to decode it for you to tell if it is 220 or 115 volts.We use them in the Pace Trailers.

Jim

Thanks Jim!!

It says on the tag it is 120/220.

It is a
4.0 BF-3CR 16000 B
Serial is B773239870

Some of the numbers/letters are kinda hard to make out, they didn't stamp them real hard.

So from what I have read it is a model BF, spec B. 120/220 putting out 4.0 KW

I removed it from the M/H and cut all the wires long. I just didn't want to try and start it in case I would fry the generator or something. I think if I can get it running, it should be a nice back-up unit!!

I would appreciate any thoughts on wiring!!

Thanks,
Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 25th 2010, 8:25 pm

The remote start wires should have a plug on it you can unplug and run the gen from the starter swicth on the gen itself I am taking this one is not a portable gen.If they have the gen set for 220vt you can put a meter on the 2 hot legs and it will read 220vt if it set at 120vt it will only read 120vt.Some of the older ones had the 120vt/220vt but was set at one or the other but can be wired to run ether by changing some wires in the gen itself on the wire block under the covered box on them where the wire come out in flexable conduit that goes to the panel box.If it is a 4.0kw it will only have around 30 to 35 amps output but if you wire it to your house for power outages you will need a transfer swicth box for when they turn the power back on it want burn the gen up or send voltage out to where the power complany is working and killing someone or hurting someone bad.They are many different kinds of tranfer swicthes from manual to automatic where they start the gen when the power goes off and shuts it down when it comes back on.But I would strongly subgest you putting a transfer switch of some kind for the safety for a home use.
Now back to wiring it up to the house if you are going to use it for back up only while you are there you can wire it this way without a transfer switch.If it is a 220vt I would say a 30 amp for a 4.0kw to be on the safe side not to overload it.So get a 220vt 30amp breaker and wire your black wires to the breaker itself and the white to the nuetral bar in the panel box and green to the ground bar.When you are going to use it turn your main breaker off and then turn the 30 amp on this will power up your house but you will not beable to run everything.I would turn all the 220vt breakers off and leave the 115vt breakers on so the frig,freezer, and lights still work off the gen and not keep tripping the breaker to the gen.I don't know what all you have that run off 220 but if you have to run something I wouldn't run anything ealse this is a small gen for a house.When they get the power back on turn off the 30 amp breaker 1st and the breaker on the gen itself then turn your main back on.The reason I say turn the breaker on the gen off is in case some turn the 30 amp in the breaker box if yours don't have the breaker on the gen you need a disconnect box in between the gen and panel box just incase someone turns the breaker back on so it want burn the gen up.Hope all this makes sense to you if not I will try to explain it in a different way.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 26th 2010, 1:38 am

That's great info Jim!!

I plan on making a cart for it and just running an extension cord into the house for fridge and freezer. Our stove is gas so with a couple of lights, we could be good for a while. With the cart, I can take it to the track etc.

I am just thinking, it might be a good idea to wire it into the breaker box for the winter, then the furnace would work too.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper April 26th 2010, 8:28 am

Bill, for a standalone genset to power your house you really need a generator panel, or you're just asking for trouble.
the gen panel makes it impossible to double feed.
I can walk you through all that if you like, as thats what i do for a living. Smile
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 26th 2010, 12:04 pm

Sounds good Brent!!

I'll try and get it running and get the info from you.

If I am feeding this into the panel (through a hook up panel) would I be better to run it in 220?

Thanks for the help guys!! Cool

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper April 26th 2010, 9:05 pm

yeah then you dont have to move around your breakers to get everything on to your live phase when you run on the gen set.
things you'll need.
1 Beer Fridge
2 Tv circuit.
3 furnace feed. (i know its gas but the valve, and fan are 120V)
4 sump pump (if applicable)
5 at least one counter plug is nice so your wife can still use a toaster, grille, or popcorn machine to cook you snacks Very Happy
6 any freezers, or fridges in use..

PM me a pic of your setup, i can build you something and ship it to you if you like. I get pretty good discounts on electrical parts.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 26th 2010, 9:30 pm

Diggindeeper wrote:yeah then you dont have to move around your breakers to get everything on to your live phase when you run on the gen set.
things you'll need.
1 Beer Fridge
2 Tv circuit.
3 furnace feed. (i know its gas but the valve, and fan are 120V)
4 sump pump (if applicable)
5 at least one counter plug is nice so your wife can still use a toaster, grille, or popcorn machine to cook you snacks Very Happy
6 any freezers, or fridges in use..

PM me a pic of your setup, i can build you something and ship it to you if you like. I get pretty good discounts on electrical parts.

LOL, that's is a very good list of priorities!!! (#5 LMAO Laughing )

That's a very generous offer. I could mail a cheque and wait till it clears.

Do you need a pic of inside the panel?

Thanks,
Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  NO FAIR April 27th 2010, 12:25 am

[quote="Diggindeeper"]Bill, for a standalone genset to power your house you really need a generator panel, or you're just asking for trouble.

X2
The last thing you want to do is fry a lineman by back feeding the transformer on the pole.
Dave
Shocked
NO FAIR
NO FAIR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 27th 2010, 2:58 am

[quote="NO FAIR"]
Diggindeeper wrote:Bill, for a standalone genset to power your house you really need a generator panel, or you're just asking for trouble.

X2
The last thing you want to do is fry a lineman by back feeding the transformer on the pole.
Dave
Shocked

Nope, don't want to do that. I was just gonna run a cord into the house but I wasn't thinking about the furnace etc.

Brent's going to set me up with a panel so I should be set up good.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 27th 2010, 6:16 am

Bill you need to make your kart for it 10'' high the onan get it air from the bottom to keep it cool
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave April 27th 2010, 7:05 am

billandlori wrote:I'm wishing I would have set this up on our Freightliner, would have cut down on all the idle time in the winter!!

Bill

How about this Bill?

If cab heat is the concern, a small quite gasoline fueled generator and a fan equipped ceramic heater in the cab will keep you plenty warm! Now, let's step up the ante! My preference would be a cab heater of sorts, a small automatic type battery charger installed the storage compartment and attached permanently to a direct feed to the battery(s), not to the battery(s) and of course a block heater. As we do understand, the fore mentioned preference would require a bit larger generator and is a "very possible do"!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 27th 2010, 11:57 am

69F100 wrote:Bill you need to make your kart for it 10'' high the onan get it air from the bottom to keep it cool

Yep, I was going to use larger air tires (wheel-barrow) for it. Something that would roll easy!! This thing is plenty heavy!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori April 27th 2010, 12:03 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:
billandlori wrote:I'm wishing I would have set this up on our Freightliner, would have cut down on all the idle time in the winter!!

Bill

How about this Bill?

If cab heat is the concern, a small quite gasoline fueled generator and a fan equipped ceramic heater in the cab will keep you plenty warm! Now, let's step up the ante! My preference would be a cab heater of sorts, a small automatic type battery charger installed the storage compartment and attached permanently to a direct feed to the battery(s), not to the battery(s) and of course a block heater. As we do understand, the fore mentioned preference would require a bit larger generator and is a "very possible do"!

Dave.

We aren't in the truck anymore but the last one we had was a Westernstar with a Wabasto cab heater. Man that thing would cook you right out of the cab!! Only thing is that the engine wasn't heated so once it got much below 20* you had to run the truck anyway. The small gensets are a nice deal, cab heat, engine heat, battery charging. The truck specific ones go for over $7000 Shocked

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper April 27th 2010, 12:32 pm

Bill, i'm just home for a quick lunch but i wont get to the part supplier till tomorrow morning, i'll let you know when i get home tomorrow what i came up with and for how much.
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next