BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

so bearings are kicking my butt . . . again

4 posters

Go down

so bearings are kicking my butt . . . again Empty so bearings are kicking my butt . . . again

Post  ChrisH February 20th 2024, 9:20 pm

so last block was tight on the mains, now this block is loose 3.1930"
so regular bearings are coming in at a 3.0020 and the journals are coming in around 2.9985-97
clearances are
40 (3.0025 - 2.9985)
37 (3.0021 - 2.9984)

i can live with 3 being 40 loose, and i can run a high volume pump, may talk to mr Kane about that.

this engine is 588" with ported A heads 13.5 compression and oliver max rods (so heavy steel rods) lunati steel crank.

i expect an honest 900 hp from this E85 build, so a loose build is preferred but it is a 95 pct street build so it will often see 1000-1200 rpm idle.so i do need acceptable oil pressure at idle

i have a few sets of std F/M and a few sets of Clevite but j just cant tighten them up much more with STD bearings.

a set of 001 bearings would heal this up but i have yet to source some.

i don't think clevite makes them, Israel is preoccupied right now so King says they don't have any in the foreseeable future.
haven't sourced any ACL either.

does anyone have any leads on a set, or half set of 001 "tight" bearings.

and yeah a cap cut and line hone would solve this. but the block is clean and ready for assembly at this point. so its just a bit of a pain if i have to go back to the shop, wait, and then reclean, when a half set of bearings would bring everything into where i want it.

thank you for any insight or leads

chris

ChrisH

Back to top Go down

so bearings are kicking my butt . . . again Empty Re: so bearings are kicking my butt . . . again

Post  lance flake February 20th 2024, 10:07 pm

I think you will be fine with those clearances. I like the thrust to have a bit more clearance anyway. Wouldn’t want it to be .001 tighter.

lance flake

Back to top Go down

so bearings are kicking my butt . . . again Empty Re: so bearings are kicking my butt . . . again

Post  Paul Kane February 20th 2024, 11:29 pm

I have a broken set of 0.001 mains.  One half shell on #5 could straighten things out enough (33, 33, 40, 34, 32).  Or perhaps half shells on 3, 4, & 5 (33, 33, 35, 29, 32) should you really want to tighten things up for regular street use with a std vol pump.  Or only 3 & 5, or whatever

Before you swap shells: how are you measuring your clearances? Hopefully by mic’ing a journal and transferring to a dial bore gage that gets zero’d to the mic. If not, then maybe double-check/cross-check using this method.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisH February 20th 2024, 11:49 pm

Paul this is with a mic and bore gauge, checked a couple times. mic checked against two different standards.
i will give you a call tomorrow if possible,
i wanted to talk to you about a pump anyway, if you can help me out with bearing i can certainly buy a pump off of you. need one anyway

but yeah, its the street driving that tells me this is too loose. i wanted to see .0030-.0033 and say .0035 on three.

i will call tomorrow and see what i can buy from you

thank you

chris

ChrisH

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisH February 20th 2024, 11:52 pm

lance,
appreciate the reply.
i would be mixing half shells for 4 to 5 tenths is all. i have enough standard bearings that are a little more loose that with a half set of 001 bearings i could keep 1,2,4,5 all in the 32/33 rang and get 3 in the 35/36 range

but yeah, taking a fulle .001 off would be unwise

ChrisH

lance flake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisH February 24th 2024, 1:36 am

thank you Paul,
package came today and
those shells got me to

with your stg 1 pump this is where i wanted clearances.

ChrisH

Paul Kane likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane February 24th 2024, 2:37 pm

ChrisH wrote:thank you Paul, those shells got me to

Nice Exclamation   And that's exactly what those classic S/P shells should have achieved--this is why I am always buying up old-school, USA-made bearings whenever we find them at older closing machine shops, etc.  The new bearings these days are okay but can be more inconsistent when needing very specific, fine tuning adjustment in clearance
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick172 March 9th 2024, 10:21 pm

crazy i just having the same issue on my block here too i think the shop went a little big on the main line bore and i just ordered a new set of standard bearings . i am getting .0041 and .0042 on my front 2 bearings. what kind of shells did you end up useing to fix this up they max extra clearance shells but have yet too find extra "tight " ones
ChrisH wrote:so last block was tight on the mains, now this block is loose 3.1930"
so regular bearings are coming in at a 3.0020 and the journals are coming in around 2.9985-97
clearances are
40 (3.0025 - 2.9985)
37 (3.0021 - 2.9984)

i can live with 3 being 40 loose, and i can run a high volume pump, may talk to mr Kane about that.

this engine is 588" with ported A heads 13.5 compression and oliver max rods (so heavy steel rods) lunati steel crank.

i expect an honest 900 hp from this E85 build, so a loose build is preferred but it is a 95 pct street build so it will often see 1000-1200 rpm idle.so i do need acceptable oil pressure at idle

i have a few sets of std F/M and a few sets of Clevite but j just cant tighten them up much more with STD bearings.

a set of 001 bearings would heal this up but i have yet to source some.

i don't think clevite makes them, Israel is preoccupied right now so King says they don't have any in the foreseeable future.  
haven't sourced any ACL either.

does anyone have any leads on a set, or half set of 001 "tight" bearings.

and yeah a cap cut and line hone would solve this. but the block is clean and ready for assembly at this point. so its just a bit of a pain if i have to go back to the shop, wait, and then reclean, when a half set of bearings would bring everything into where i want it.

thank you for any insight or leads

chris

maverick172

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane March 9th 2024, 10:34 pm

maverick172 wrote:crazy i just having the same issue on my block here too i think the shop went a little big on the main line bore and i just ordered a new set of standard bearings . i am getting .0041 and .0042 on my front 2 bearings....
Did you check the work of the machine shop? Remove the bearing shells, torque the main caps to spec without bearings, then measure bearing bores.  The factory spec for the bearing bores is 3.1922"-3.1930".  If your bearing bores are outside of spec you might want to take the block back to the machine shop and have them confirm your findings--in front of you--and then ask them to fix it (assuming they are considerably out of spec).  Overly large bearing clearance could also be from low-side main journal diameters, so check them too...
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick172 March 9th 2024, 10:37 pm

ya i checked the bore measurements and it appears they are a little over spec i am seeing like 1.1935 and like 1.1937 on the other .
was hoping i could run a over shell but ya i could bring it back . i guess they would have to cut the caps and re bore the whole mains .?
Paul Kane wrote:
maverick172 wrote:crazy i just having the same issue on my block here too i think the shop went a little big on the main line bore and i just ordered a new set of standard bearings . i am getting .0041 and .0042 on my front 2 bearings....
Did you check the work of the machine shop? Remove the bearing shells, torque the main caps to spec without bearings, then measure bearing bores.  The factory spec for the bearing bores is 3.1922"-3.1930".  If your bearing bores are outside of spec, you might want to take the block back to the machine shop and have them confirm your findings--in front of you--and then ask them to fix it (if they are considerably out of spec).

maverick172

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down