BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kicking around a new intake setup idea

+13
Curt
Mike R
BBFTorino
talonhead
gmsmkr
gt350hr
dirt_worker
Mustang-junky
DaveMcLain
jasonf
windsor
res0rli9
SandHillsHillbilly
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Kicking around a new intake setup idea Empty Kicking around a new intake setup idea

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 12th 2015, 12:23 am

I have been kicking around a new intake setup idea in my head. Something I haven't seen on a BBF in this exact form.

Start off with a Blue Thunder dual quad intake.
Kicking around a new intake setup idea BT%20dual%20quad%20intake%20smallport_3
Kicking around a new intake setup idea Btim429cj_8v_small

Now top it off with a Holley adapter plate and top. Top comes with either 92, 102 or 105MM throttle body opening.
Top side of adapter plate
Kicking around a new intake setup idea 300-231
Intake manifold side of adapter plate
Kicking around a new intake setup idea 300-231bk
Kicking around a new intake setup idea 300-218

How it stacks up
Kicking around a new intake setup idea Miniram

Some basic dimensions
Kicking around a new intake setup idea Hiram_dimensions_efi

One thing I am not sure on is the match up between the adapter plate and the intake. I don't know if the spacing is the same. If the plate does not line up I don't know if it would be best to align it with the front carb and move the back or align it with the back carb and move the front. Depends on which way you need to adjust the spacing. Easier to move them closer than spreading them. If they need to be spread it will have to come from the back.

I know this doesn't excite the carb or WOT guys but should be good for the street or truck guys. Anything less than 6500 rpm.

Yes the dizzy is in the way but that is ok for EFI and a cam position sensor from Price.

A steep investment with just the intake being around $600 total parts being near a grand it is not for everyone. Just something different.

Who has a BT dual quad sitting around? Can you do me some measurements? Holley says the spacing is 8-5/8" but don't say where that spacing is measured.

Will it be better than other options? I don't think so, but it is different and could lead to other possibilities.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Kicking around a new intake setup idea Empty Re: Kicking around a new intake setup idea

Post  res0rli9 December 12th 2015, 2:10 am

That's what mine is. 8-5/8"

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Kicking around a new intake setup idea Empty Re: Kicking around a new intake setup idea

Post  windsor December 12th 2015, 2:13 am

Following
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 12th 2015, 2:13 am

res0rli9 wrote:That's what mine is. 8-5/8"

Center to center

Might be easier to measure front edge to front edge
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 December 12th 2015, 2:19 am

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:
res0rli9 wrote:That's what mine is. 8-5/8"

Center to center

Might be easier to measure front edge to front edge

Sorry! Yes Center to center. That will have to do carbs are on mine and I'm not taking them off, can't get
my tape around to get it that way with carbs on.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 12th 2015, 2:54 am

Thanks that is promising. I would love to find someone with an empty intake and send them the adapter to test fit before I go buying a high dollar intake.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 December 12th 2015, 4:03 am

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:Thanks that is promising. I would love to find someone with an empty intake and send them the adapter to test fit before I go buying a high dollar intake.

Well hell I'll do one better. Send me a stamp and I'll take the carbs off and make you a stencil on paper & send it back to ya...mine's sitting in the bed room.
You have a pm.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 13th 2015, 3:43 am

You need to adapt that to a tunnel ram.... the BT intake would be way too low IMO.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 13th 2015, 3:45 am

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:I have been kicking around a new intake setup idea in my head. Something I haven't seen on a BBF in this exact form.

Start off with a Blue Thunder dual quad intake.

Now top it off with a Holley adapter plate and top. Top comes with either 92, 102 or 105MM throttle body opening.
Top side of adapter plate
Kicking around a new intake setup idea 300-231
Intake manifold side of adapter plate
Kicking around a new intake setup idea 300-231bk

Is that a Holley piece?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 13th 2015, 4:41 am

jasonf wrote:You need to adapt that to a tunnel ram.... the BT intake would be way too low IMO.

That was next on the list. Going to be a bit more involved than just bolting it on the lower section. It would be cheaper than the BT intake. A lot cheaper. It does look close. I don't have a lower on the shelf to measure.
Kicking around a new intake setup idea 5993583x
If this keeps up I am going to need a mule to flog.

ETA: Changed to different pic

Last edited by SandHillsHillbilly on December 13th 2015, 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 13th 2015, 4:43 am

jasonf wrote:

Is that a Holley piece?

Yes it is.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain December 13th 2015, 9:12 am

I don't believe that the carburetor pads are both at the same height on the Blue Thunder Dual Quad so you would have to machine the carburetor pads which would be easy. After cutting the pads to correct the angle your stud holes will be off from perpendicular a little bit which probably won't hurt anything. I wonder if the Pro Comp intake might not be a better place to start. You could always turn your top around backwards and place the throttle body in the back of the engine where nothing is in the way.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor December 13th 2015, 9:38 am

What about just the top on an a460 tunnel ram base?
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 13th 2015, 11:32 am

DaveMcLain wrote:I don't believe that the carburetor pads are both at the same height on the Blue Thunder Dual Quad so you would have to machine the carburetor pads which would be easy.  After cutting the pads to correct the angle your stud holes will be off from perpendicular a little bit which probably won't hurt anything.  I wonder if the Pro Comp intake might not be a better place to start.  You could always turn your top around backwards and place the throttle body in the back of the engine where nothing is in the way.  

Dave thanks for weighing in on the topic. I had forgotten about the angled carb pads. Leveling them would be no problem. Might run into  problem with the bolts though cause they are counter-bored. Maybe a little touch up to stretch the bolt opening.

Great suggestion on the ProComp intake. I had forgotten about it. As with anything ProComp aka SpeedMaster the casting would have to be checked for porosity before any machining. A complaint I have with that intake is that they don't make pre-drilled or marked fuel rails to match the intake. It leaves the machinist having to find the centers of the injector bungs on the intake. Procomp could at least furnish dimensions to eliminate mistakes. They provide pre-drilled fuel rails for all other intakes. ProComp at least provide a fuel rail mount at each corner injector, saving having to weld on the intake. Procomp beats BT in cost big time as it comes with cast in injector bungs. That adds around $350 to the BT to have injectors installed. If you compare a finished Procomp to a finished BT, Procomp comes out about $650 cheaper.
Kicking around a new intake setup idea 4006_1_
Kicking around a new intake setup idea 4006_2_
Kicking around a new intake setup idea 4006_3_
Kicking around a new intake setup idea 4006_4_
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 13th 2015, 11:48 am

windsor wrote:What about just the top on an a460 tunnel ram base?

I can't say about anything about the A460 intake. You could compare the dimensioned drawing I posted earlier to the intake and see if the top will fit. If it does the 105MM top would be a great option for some. I don't know if it would have enough plenum. If it doesn't then any adapter that maybe needed could be used to also add volume. With this intake you have stepped out of the 1500-6500 rpm range. You are out of my ballpark, but still playing the game. Thanks for suggesting the A460 intake.

I will add this to the conversation. If it does work, it would allow some to run boosted EFI without having to go to a high dollar fabbed top. Probably not as good as a fabbed topped.
Kicking around a new intake setup idea Tfs-54494000_xl
Kicking around a new intake setup idea Tfs-54494000_nt_xl
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 14th 2015, 12:48 am

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:
jasonf wrote:

Is that a Holley piece?

Yes it is.

So what engine is that Holley setup originally designed for?

I can get you the tunnel ram info if you have the Holley info.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 14th 2015, 1:03 am

jasonf wrote:

So what engine is that Holley setup originally designed for?

I can get you the tunnel ram info if you have the Holley info.

Sounds like blackmail to me LOL Very Happy

These are components of their LS Hi-Ram intakes. The tops have an LS Throttle Body flange
300-218 92mm top
300-219-102mm top
300-232 105mm top
Available in raw or black finish

300-231 is the adapter plate the tapped holes in the back of it are for LS3 Map sensor.

All the parts are on this link:
https://www.holley.com/products/intakes/intake_components/

SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf December 14th 2015, 5:55 pm

As promised.. Wink

Kicking around a new intake setup idea 20151214_153702_zpsdqee6dmy

Kicking around a new intake setup idea 548dbce6-e41a-4fd8-bd57-a4bc4acbe411_zpsmjirnwtl

Kicking around a new intake setup idea 20151214_153632_zpsyljchxni

Kicking around a new intake setup idea 20151214_153601_zpsl0ced4k8
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 14th 2015, 8:00 pm

Thanks
Spacing on that looks like 9-1/2" spacing. Is that bolt pattern the same as a 4150 carb flange? Not that you would want to, but could you bolt a carb to that without the plenum.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky December 14th 2015, 10:28 pm

SandHillsHillbilly wrote:Thanks
Is that bolt pattern the same as a 4150 carb flange? Not that you would want to, but could you bolt a carb to that without the plenum.

Not a 4150, but the 4500 carbs are a match. In an effort to lower my overall height with the Weiand tunnel ram I added a 4500 to 4150 adapter to the tunnel ram base. Bolted right up an knocked an inch off the height.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 14th 2015, 10:50 pm

Mustang-junky wrote:

Not a 4150, but the 4500 carbs are a match.  In an effort to lower my overall height with the Weiand tunnel ram I added a 4500 to 4150 adapter to the tunnel ram base.  Bolted right up an knocked an inch off the height.

Jess

That is interesting. But they are still spaced 7/8" too far apart.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly December 17th 2015, 6:52 pm

I have a very high dislike for ProComp aka Speedmaster. I know they are on the other side of the world, but you think it wouldn't take 4 days to get an inventory query answered. And then didn't even answer the two questions I had. Sent a reply back, I might hear something before next year.
SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker December 18th 2015, 1:47 am

windsor wrote:What about just the top on an a460 tunnel ram base?
Thats funny you mention this.
I was just driving down the rd a few days thinking about trying to use these EXACT same pieces and concept.
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr December 21st 2015, 1:17 pm

The dual plane Blue thunder intake is a bad choice for EFI . A single plane (I.E, tunnel ram base) is far better.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr December 21st 2015, 1:17 pm

edited , duplicate post. The Speedmaster is a poor choice ( by itself) for dual fours. Adding the Holley top(s) with the injector bungs in the manifold could work. Most "dry" intakes use lots of plenum volume.

Last edited by gt350hr on May 1st 2020, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next