BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOSS Pro Stock Mavericks

+2
Mark Miller
hbstang
6 posters

Go down

BOSS Pro Stock Mavericks Empty BOSS Pro Stock Mavericks

Post  Price5113 January 29th 2024, 4:03 pm

Curios if anybody on here had any idea on how "competitive the BOSS 429 Mavericks were when they were being campaigned. There does not seem to a lot of info on this short lived piece of Ford drag history from what I have found. I beleive that more than a few of the cars were campaigned with the SOHC, most likely due to parts availability or was the BOSS not developed just yet??????

Price5113

Back to top Go down

BOSS Pro Stock Mavericks Empty pro stocks

Post  hbstang January 29th 2024, 11:45 pm

you mean like this
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/750767396881578/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

i think the reason they didnt last in pro stock is the class evolved very quickly into a small block chassis car.the early mavericks didnt have the transmission or chassis to control the high horspower of a stroked boss.they must have been over 700 hp in the early times.i cant imagine that thing hooking up and race it with a toploader?what a handfull that must have been.but with that said i would love to have one for a street car.lol
also later in the 70s jim miller raced his real boss mustang in modified production,and would spin a destroked boss to 9200 with the stock rockers on it!yikes
hbstang
hbstang

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

BOSS Pro Stock Mavericks Empty Re: BOSS Pro Stock Mavericks

Post  Mark Miller January 30th 2024, 12:47 am

hbstang wrote:you mean like this
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/750767396881578/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post

i think the reason they didnt last in pro stock is the class evolved very quickly into a small block chassis car.the early mavericks didnt have the transmission or chassis to control the high horspower of a stroked boss.they must have been over 700 hp in the early times.i cant imagine that thing hooking up and race it with a toploader?what a handfull that must have been.but with that said i would love to have one for a street car.lol
also later in the 70s jim miller raced his real boss mustang in modified production,and would spin a destroked boss to 9200 with the stock rockers on it!yikes

Cool Car thanks for the link!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

BOSS Pro Stock Mavericks Empty HP?

Post  Price5113 January 30th 2024, 1:14 pm

So it doesn't sound like there was a "lack" of Horse Power with the early BOSS's, just the platform they were being campaigned in. I have heard mention of the T&C not being a reliable trans in those cars. I wonder if the reason for the Dana 60 rears in the cars was due to breakage with the 9" in previous factory race cars, hence why Ford used the Dana in the Mavericks. I do remember reading about Millers's BOSS M/Prod Mustang. I followed his articles(Tech Corner) in the old Super Ford MAG. Do you have any info on Barrie Poole's Maverick/Comet with "Wedge" 429 power? Steve.............

Price5113

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 31st 2024, 12:57 am

Price5113 wrote:So it doesn't sound like there was a "lack" of Horse Power with the early BOSS's, just the platform they were being campaigned in. I have heard mention of the T&C not being a reliable trans in those cars. I wonder if the reason for the Dana 60 rears in the cars was due to breakage with the 9" in previous factory race cars, hence why Ford used the Dana in the Mavericks. I do remember reading about Millers's BOSS M/Prod Mustang. I followed his articles(Tech Corner) in the old Super Ford MAG. Do you have any info on Barrie Poole's Maverick/Comet with "Wedge" 429 power? Steve.............

They thought the dana was better back then. Danas in pintos also.

DYNO'S last pinto received a 9inch.
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 January 31st 2024, 6:37 pm

Didn’t Dyno Don switch to the SOHC because of not much success with the Boss engine?  He did with the Summernationals in 72? with the Maverick but I believe it was with the cammer.

rmk57

Back to top Go down

BOSS Pro Stock Mavericks Empty Dyno

Post  Price5113 February 1st 2024, 1:15 pm

From what I understand, Dyno never did try the BOSS with his Maverick, just the Cammer. I believe he was more comfortable with the SOHC leaning on his past experience with it and most likely had quite a few parts "stashed" for the SOHC, and if im not mistaken he had NO more factory support. I am curios  though on why Schartman moved over to the BOSS without any "support" as well???? I heard that he had some help from Doug Nash on the BOSS. Maybe just a rumor..........

Price5113

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 February 3rd 2024, 10:42 pm

Real Good Link Below. 2 Pages

https://www.gapponline.net/tag/boss-429-maverick/

Don't forget to checkout Fast Eddie, Either. He ran one also.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down