BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intermittent Chatter noise from Driveline

+2
bosshoss
airford1
6 posters

Go down

Intermittent Chatter noise from Driveline Empty Intermittent Chatter noise from Driveline

Post  airford1 August 31st 2018, 3:46 pm

Chatter noise only when starting out in reverse from the reared. Had the the 3rd member out and everything checks out. I have drum brakes and had hoped it was that. Still had the chatter with the brake applied or not, but only in reverse.U Joints seem good I have not pressed them out. So could it be bearings in the rear?
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Intermittent Chatter noise from Driveline Empty Re: Intermittent Chatter noise from Driveline

Post  bosshoss August 31st 2018, 5:22 pm

soft or broken rear transmission mount
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Intermittent Chatter noise from Driveline Empty Re: Intermittent Chatter noise from Driveline

Post  airford1 August 31st 2018, 6:43 pm

Solid mount , let me check for cracked tail shaft or mount.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 3rd 2018, 9:35 pm

Axle bearings in good shape? Rear suspension mounting points and hardware in good shape too?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 September 3rd 2018, 10:02 pm

Had it apart 2 weeks ago and I was satisfied that all was good. Still has a chatter that sounds like a brake Drum, but it still rattles with brake on or off. I did notice the left axle seal started to leak and I did put new seals in. Maybe the Housing is bent or an axel. I will pull the reared out and have a new housing made and go thru the 3rd member. It's an old square tube chassis car that was raced in a 8.90 door slammer and the guy didn't take care of things.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 September 4th 2018, 12:31 am

Im guessing you checked all the bolts real good? motor mounts, tranny mounts, leafspring bushings? will it do it on jack stands?

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 September 4th 2018, 11:17 am

It will not do it on Jack stands.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 4th 2018, 8:44 pm

What's the rear suspension setup?

My Futura had a broken lower control arm bolt that took me weeks of head scratching to find. And the only way I found it was by attempting to tighten every bolt back there... that one just turned and turned... It was broken inside the steel bushing sleeve...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 September 4th 2018, 9:41 pm

Pulled the drive shaft today and pressed out the u joint for the trans yoke hoping that I could see something , but it looked good. I have-not put a wrench on the coiler shocks yet.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 5th 2018, 9:44 am

Converter bolts?
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 September 6th 2018, 5:04 pm

Mounts tight Ladder bars good still need to check convertor bolts.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 November 18th 2018, 11:54 am

Replaced the front Ladder Bar Hiems and so far no noise. Replaced the U joints and went over the 3rd Member. Convertor bolts good. One of the Hiem joints had excessive clearance between the ball and case.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino November 19th 2018, 12:17 am

Pull the driveshaft and check the bushing inside the tailshaft housing.

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  airford1 November 28th 2018, 4:56 pm

BBFTorino wrote:Pull the driveshaft and check the bushing inside the tailshaft housing.
Nope all good there.
airford1
airford1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down