BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bracket Dragster Burnouts VS Door Cars

5 posters

Go down

Bracket Dragster Burnouts VS Door Cars Empty Bracket Dragster Burnouts VS Door Cars

Post  t-bird racer April 16th 2018, 9:12 am

I was watching the live feed over the weekend and this caught mt attention.

Can someone describe the dragster burn out to me? It seems that it is just a high gear up to the rev limit
for 2-3 seconds from a stop to rolling? Is there a separate rev limit set for the burnout?

As compared to a Door car where they are on the line lock and "burn-em" up pretty good? I've been thinking
are the door cars over doing the burn outs, Overheating the slicks, and killing the life of the tire?

My new slicks will be here this week and was thinking of trying this out at the next test/tune.

Any info would be appreciated.

Rich.
t-bird racer
t-bird racer

Back to top Go down

Bracket Dragster Burnouts VS Door Cars Empty Re: Bracket Dragster Burnouts VS Door Cars

Post  pmrphil April 16th 2018, 12:51 pm

Normally a 3-step is used, with a separate limiter specifically for the burnout only. And I agree, some guys do too long of a burnout and really shorten the tire life. A lot depends on the tire used, gear, and launch aggressiveness, though.
Typically in the door car, I only heat until I hear it "grunt" a bit, then let off the line lock and roll out. Of course, if your RPM is too high you cannot hear it grunt, because it won't.
The dragster is different, not being able to hold it in place requires a higher RPM to spin the tires fast enough to make some heat and to clean them off. On a very well prepped track you can do a very short burnout (almost none) and it hooks just the same. I wouldn't dare try that on a track that wasn't "just right".

Last edited by pmrphil on April 16th 2018, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Bracket Dragster Burnouts VS Door Cars Empty Re: Bracket Dragster Burnouts VS Door Cars

Post  bosshoss April 16th 2018, 1:02 pm

Most dragsters have no front brakes so the line loc doesn't work for them.
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt April 16th 2018, 3:09 pm

Most burnouts are Monkey See - Monkey Do.  If Luke does it, 50% of everyone that sees him will follow whatever he's doing.

Yes, High gear only.

After the initial burn out (John Force style) on a new set of tires, I only turn mine enough to clean them up afterwards.  

I have a burnout button on the steering wheel that is tied to a rev limiter and set at 7,000rpm. I usually stay in it for ~ 3 seconds. I try to never cross the starting line, but on some tracks, the bleach box is so close that I have to.   A lot of dragster pilots just listen or watch the tach to keep it from over revving.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues April 20th 2018, 1:26 pm

Short burnouts here. No need to burn the tires up.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down