BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Gear Pop

4 posters

Go down

High Gear Pop Empty High Gear Pop

Post  512Fairlane July 21st 2016, 11:27 pm

I've been chasing a strange issue the last few times out at the track.  When I'm in high gear close to the end of the 1/8 mile the engine will sometimes "pop" or miss just once.  Its a noticeable hesitation but it only does it once and then it keeps revving normally. I have an MSD 6AL with a separate start retard box.  MSD billet distributor.  I shift at 6000 and have a 7400 RPM rev limit chip in it.  Fuel pump is Holley black feeding a 1050 Holley #8896.  I've only been out twice this year and it has done it both times on 3/4 of my runs.  I also noticed it doing it occasionally last season.  I started running an EZ Plate restrictor plate system last year to slow it down to 10.0's and 6.40's in the 1/8 since I haven't gotten my license yet.  I don't remember it doing it before I ran the restrictor plate but I'm not sure if it is related to that.  One time this past weekend my shift light kind of fluttered at the same time it popped.  Any ideas what could be going on?  The car still runs fairly consistent just has the random "pop".
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

High Gear Pop Empty Re: High Gear Pop

Post  FalconEh July 22nd 2016, 1:22 am

512Fairlane wrote:I've been chasing a strange issue the last few times out at the track.  When I'm in high gear close to the end of the 1/8 mile the engine will sometimes "pop" or miss just once.  Its a noticeable hesitation but it only does it once and then it keeps revving normally. I have an MSD 6AL with a separate start retard box.  MSD billet distributor.  I shift at 6000 and have a 7400 RPM rev limit chip in it.  Fuel pump is Holley black feeding a 1050 Holley #8896.  I've only been out twice this year and it has done it both times on 3/4 of my runs.  I also noticed it doing it occasionally last season.  I started running an EZ Plate restrictor plate system last year to slow it down to 10.0's and 6.40's in the 1/8 since I haven't gotten my license yet.  I don't remember it doing it before I ran the restrictor plate but I'm not sure if it is related to that.  One time this past weekend my shift light kind of fluttered at the same time it popped.  Any ideas what could be going on?  The car still runs fairly consistent just has the random "pop".

It needs attention a pop is bad, what do the plugs say (same cyl. ?), do you have a fuel gauge in the car, is the pump lying down on top, check all ignition connections, guessing with the billet dist it has a vent hole in the cap. lash and springs checked and good, no sticky valves? ... a few things to look at to start.
GL
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  away July 25th 2016, 10:31 am

I'm gonna guess a lean miss fire here. You need one of those pumps to each bowl. The 8896 is a 3 circuit drag race only deal. This carb does not like to be at part throttle at no time. I blocked off my power valve and jetted up to like 93 or 94 square on my 521 and increased the air bleed sizes until it would come up clean on the brake.
away
away

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 July 25th 2016, 11:52 am

If you have a crank trigger it could be the pickup going bad. Something else to think about is maybe a vibration could be activating the 2-step for an instant. I've had it happen with a transbrake switch going bad.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down