BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cracked C6 flexplate

+3
bbf-falcon
69F100
John G
7 posters

Go down

Cracked C6 flexplate Empty Cracked C6 flexplate

Post  John G November 1st 2009, 10:32 pm

I bought a 1979 460 and C6 this weekend for the Torino project. It had a cracked flexplate. When I unbolted it from the crank, and went to remove it, it broke apart where it was cracked. I have read that it is not unusual for flexplates to sometimes crack near where it bolts to the crank, but was wondering if there is any theory on What causes a flexplate to crack? Should I be concerned of any other underlying issue or was it just the weakest part that finally bit the dust? If I decide to drop in the used motor/trans setup and replace the flexplate with a new one, should I have any concerns related to the reason it originally failed?

Cracked C6 flexplate HPIM2863
John G
John G

Back to top Go down

Cracked C6 flexplate Empty Re: Cracked C6 flexplate

Post  69F100 November 1st 2009, 11:27 pm

I think you should be fine with replacing with a new one I have had on a couple on different engines broken flex plates and looked like they where from starter being mislined and not ingageing right the flex plate doesn't give as much at the bolt area and makes the flex plate brake around the bolts from what I have found.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 2nd 2009, 5:37 am

It seems I've seen more aftermarket plates crack than stock for some reason. Exclamation

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Maulerman1960 April 4th 2021, 7:25 pm

I have had two(2) flexplates crack exactly like yours on my RV. I recently discovered a broken rear transmission mount. I wonder if that might have been the cause.

Maulerman1960

Back to top Go down

Cracked C6 flexplate Empty Hays heavy duty flexplate

Post  manofmerc April 6th 2021, 6:47 am

Look into hays they have a really nice heavy duty flexplate and it doesn't break the bank either .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr April 7th 2021, 4:34 pm

Aftermarket flex plates that are cad or zinc plated suffer from hydrogen embrittlement cause by the plating process. They can be "baked" xxx*s for x time to remove it and prevent it from happening. Few manufacturers do. Having this happen on a "stock" unplated flex plate ( to me ) screams torque converter imbalance to some degree. It is certainly not rotational torque issues.

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 April 9th 2021, 2:14 pm

Did you have this ring on it when you took it apart? Supposed to help spread out the load to prevent cracking.

Cracked C6 flexplate 78Hbc4D

rmk57

gt350hr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down