BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inspect....Inspect...Inspect... Another cracked Flexplate

+6
BigDave65
bosshoss
Lem Evans
richter69
Frank Merkl
Wheelie58
10 posters

Go down

Inspect....Inspect...Inspect... Another cracked Flexplate Empty Inspect....Inspect...Inspect... Another cracked Flexplate

Post  Wheelie58 June 26th 2011, 10:12 pm

Routine inspections are a part of racing. I am learning the importance of making a list of certain items to inspect prior to each race. During a routine inspection tonight, I discovered a radial crack in my JW Wheel and 2 cracked ring gear welds. This one only has about 80 passes on it. That seems to be the life span of this part in my application.
I am just glad I found it before it got worse and damaged more parts. The last one that cracked, wiped out my trans pump.
Keep an eye on yours.......
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Inspect....Inspect...Inspect... Another cracked Flexplate Empty Re: Inspect....Inspect...Inspect... Another cracked Flexplate

Post  Frank Merkl June 26th 2011, 10:40 pm

won't run a JW wheel because of the cracking problems, switched to a Reactor - no more problems and he'll recert once
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Inspect....Inspect...Inspect... Another cracked Flexplate Empty Re: Inspect....Inspect...Inspect... Another cracked Flexplate

Post  richter69 June 26th 2011, 10:43 pm

I guess the used one I bought over 3 years ago was a good-in'.........

The aftermarket Strange brake rotors are another item to inspect often for cracks.........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 June 26th 2011, 10:52 pm

Frank Merkl wrote:won't run a JW wheel because of the cracking problems, switched to a Reactor - no more problems and he'll recert once
Frank

Thanks Frank.
That is one of the nicer ones that I have looked at.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans June 26th 2011, 11:14 pm

What used to "work" aint gonna work after the tq. gets huge and many hits are applied.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss June 27th 2011, 12:17 am

Frank Merkl wrote:won't run a JW wheel because of the cracking problems, switched to a Reactor - no more problems and he'll recert once
Frank

I have also seen cracked ring gear welds on the JW's

Did the converter offset change at all when you went to the Reactor Frank?

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 June 27th 2011, 12:26 am

bosshoss wrote:
Frank

I have also seen cracked ring gear welds on the JW's

Did the converter offset change at all when you went to the Reactor Frank?

dkp

Yeah...that is why I have stuck with the JW for this long. My whole deal is calibrated with that offset. I have a CSR wheel that will make me modify my starter. If I gotta make the change..so be it...
I can just change my setup to accomodate whatever wheel I change to. Since I am leaving next weekend for a long trip, I have a feeling that I will end up putting a warranty JW back in there, since this will be a busy week.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl June 27th 2011, 12:47 am

nothing change going to a Reactor
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 June 27th 2011, 9:23 am

I have also had welds craking on a JW "wheel". I had rewelded it a couple of times before I finally replaced it. A couple weeks later, on a Friday afternoon, a buddy was needing a flywheel, so I loaned him my old JW I had just taken off ther car. He went to the track on saturday and on the first pass he made the ring gear came off the wheel before he got to the 60' clock. It broke into 4 or 5 pieces, one of which came through the floorboard. Shocked Fortunately it didn't hit him, but we both learned a lesson that day.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt June 27th 2011, 11:22 am

This one is the best in the business, you can also get it in a 10 pitch tooth profile.

http://www.meziere.com/ps-101-1390-fp308.aspx
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  hienergy557 June 27th 2011, 5:58 pm

I had a JW come apart at the finish line, 7000 rpm. Man it made a mess.
When we looked at the welding, it looked like who ever was welding the ring gear to the center was trying not to get any distorsion with a small weld, but wasn't getting any penatration.
I also had a metalurgist look at it and he said "those two pieces of metal should not be welded together"
He said "the ring gear has alot of Sulfer which acts as a barrier in the weld pool" I have some photos if anybody is interested.
I have since bought a Meziere. Expensive, but a real nice piece.
I figured all the damage the first one did, I could have bought two Meziere flex plates.
Cheers Colin.

p.s When mine came apart the guy pitted next to me said "he had the same thing happen to him"
I just thought coincidence untill I found out he was running a BBF as well.
And we only get to race maybe 6 to 8 time a year.
hienergy557
hienergy557

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace July 4th 2011, 7:41 pm

I've seen 2 guy's here destroy JW flex plates. I'm an ATI guy so far.

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 4th 2011, 7:50 pm

just looked my JW over again........alls good....... Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 July 4th 2011, 10:53 pm

Good deal....
The JW wheel is not a bad part. It is like everything else...just needing its proper application. Due to being in a pinch, I installed a CSR wheel that I bought a while back. It is a good looking part, but varied from the offset of the JW wheel, making a starter shim modification (front-to-rear) and a new set of converter spacers needed.
The folks at JW are gonna give me another Wheel, but I am sure that I should make the step up to a nicer part, like the Reactor or Meziere.
If I had a lightweight 3000 - 3200 Lb car, the JW wheel would probably last 'till the SFI ran out. I just have a unusual application. Whichever one you have or gonna have....still inspect it regularly.
That is my story...your results may vary. If you have a flexplate that stays stiff for more than 4 hours, be sure and call your parts doctor. pirat This is a sign of too much exposure to a big inch BBF and may cause damage to your billfold.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer July 4th 2011, 10:55 pm

richter69 wrote:just looked my JW over again........alls good....... Wink
Redundant... but my take on what Lem said, in my mind, was... "Keep an eye on it, HeRo." lol
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 4th 2011, 11:10 pm

The one I have is a used piece I bought from a member, it spent a few years in a fast 10.5 car........may be its one of the "good ones", I will be upgrading it along with the case this winter, I will have Lenny go through the converter and make it a 6 pad deal............ Cool
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down