BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IC and gearing

+7
bigblok2000ranger
yellowhorse7
Nastynotch
bigblockfox468
maverick
whatbumper
BigBlockRanger
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

IC and gearing Empty IC and gearing

Post  BigBlockRanger October 30th 2013, 3:19 pm

I'm in the process of installing a Wild Rides S-box in the Mustang as well as an ARB. The S-box has 3 different locations for the upper control arm to mount with the center being the stock location.

Currently the car 60's in the upper 1.40's-low 1.50's with a significant amount of body roll.

The arb should take care of the body roll well enough, but then I am wondering about gearing and the instant center.

Tires are 28x10.5s Mickey's and rear gears are 3.55's. Car weighs 3515 with me in it.

Strange single adjustables on the rear, stock struts and springs up front.

I have another 8.8 with 3.90 gears that I could use instead.

It hits the tires pretty hard like it is (footbrake) so would stretching out the IC by using the top hole in the S-Box be a good idea if I went to the 3.90's? Or should I just leave it alone and see what it does with just the arb?

IC and gearing P451981528-3
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

IC and gearing Empty Re: IC and gearing

Post  whatbumper October 30th 2013, 5:17 pm

what is the lower bar angle? picture at ride height? we can tell a lot of things with those since you have stock mounts.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger October 30th 2013, 5:57 pm

Measuring the height of the pivots was one of those things I meant to do before I disassembled the rear end. haha

I'll look and see if I can find a pic.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 1st 2013, 10:53 am

I'm a big fan of making one change at a time. It simplifies the tuning process. Just looking at your avatar, I'd guess that the ARB is going to turn the car into a completely different animal. Definitely install the ARB, set it neutral with your butt in the seat, then make your other suspension adjustments after a couple of test hits. JMO.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 November 3rd 2013, 1:48 pm

Yep, what he said ^^^^^^^

I'm in the process of doing suspension set up /tuning on my SS 85 LX. I'm by no means a guru on this subject. Tony aka yellowhorse7 has been very helpful to me.
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 3rd 2013, 4:25 pm

We set up the entire car as a package deal. If its changing 5 things we'll do it.

Now saying that. If you're not taking it to someone and aren't comfortable making a lot of changes you can just put the arb in neutral and make a hit and adjust from there.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Nastynotch November 3rd 2013, 7:46 pm

I agree, get rid of the twist and it will be a different car for sure. Who's ARB are you installing?

Nastynotch

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger November 3rd 2013, 11:09 pm

I did a lot of reading on the net and of course you have cheerleaders for every brand under the sun. They all seem to work about the same so I decided to purchase a UPR. I have their lower arms in the car and they have worked well. I do like that their bar rides on roller bearings, but honestly the low price and free shipping is what sealed the deal.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 3rd 2013, 11:38 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:I did a lot of reading on the net and of course you have cheerleaders for every brand under the sun.   They all seem to work about the same so I decided to purchase a UPR.  I have their lower arms in the car and they have worked well.  I do like that their bar rides on roller bearings, but honestly the low price and free shipping is what sealed the deal.  
Take and scribe a straight line the entire length of the arb and keep an eye on it. The roller bearing thing is really not a big deal because it doesn't move enough to utilize it. It is cheap though. Good luck and shoot some pics of how it launches afterward.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 November 3rd 2013, 11:45 pm

Watch the heims on the UPR bar. They will bend...

If you have little understanding of this stuff, go one at a time. It's not all that complicated but people tend to over think it and ignore the simple stuff. Like lower bar angle, age of tires, spring sag, CONVERTER SELECTION, binding, etc.

I've seen SOME fox bodies go 1.2x with stock shocks, springs and stock location bar points. And enough power of course....
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger November 4th 2013, 11:18 am

DAAAAAAAANNNNNGGGG.

Removing the upper torque boxes is a huge pain in the ass if you have to do it in your driveway while lying on your back.

Thanks for the heads up on stuff to watch. If this were a car I raced week in and week out, I would have probably opted for a Team-Z xtreme duty bar. But for what I do, which is mostly tnt and drag week, the UPR will probably last me a long time.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 4th 2013, 11:31 am

for the light duty stuff light most cars need we just build our own. on the high horsepower stuff we've used up to gun drilled 45 spline axles. so you're right, every application can use different stuff.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger November 7th 2013, 10:31 am

Upper mounts are out, S-box is bolted in for now with the seat belt bolts and is squared up with the chassis. I was really surprised at how few spot welds actually hold those upper mounts in the car. Yowza. There are 3 hidden spot welds on each side tying the upper mount to the inside of the frame rail. Once I figured that out, it was much easier to get it all out.

IC and gearing 544138_10151959093054485_2005804261_n

ARB is 'out for delivery'. I love those words. Very Happy 
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 7th 2013, 10:56 am

"Out for delivery"...doubletalk for "Your guess is as good as ours."Rolling Eyes 
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger November 7th 2013, 5:18 pm

No longer "out for delivery". It's now in my grubby little hands.

Box looks like it was run over by a bus, but everything inside was a-ok. Can't wait for Saturday!
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 7th 2013, 5:51 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:No longer "out for delivery".   It's now in my grubby little hands.  

Box looks like it was run over by a bus, but everything inside was a-ok.  Can't wait for Saturday!
UPS?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger November 7th 2013, 7:03 pm

UPS indeed. Not exactly the best packaging though.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 8th 2013, 2:43 pm

It's just a piece of CM tubing but probably thin walled so that is why I said to scribe a line.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger November 8th 2013, 2:53 pm

Yeah I figured it was to watch for twisting.

The UPR bar is solid, not tubing.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 8th 2013, 5:49 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:Yeah I figured it was to watch for twisting.

The UPR bar is solid, not tubing.
oh, I didn't know they switched styles. maybe they will last longer.

not usually a fan of solid style but I think it is better than the super thin stuff they used to use.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger November 12th 2013, 1:22 pm

Got the s-box all in and the bar welded in last weekend. The arb welding went much much better than I expected. I hate lying under the car trying to weld stuff.

I decided to stay with the 3.55's for now so I pulled the trac-lok apart and re-shimmed it back to where it is really tight, just like I did when I originally rebuilt this diff 4 years ago. I noticed it was starting to slip last time at the track when I was tightening lug nuts. I will start collecting a spool, 31 spline axles, etc. for the other housing (3.90's) and swap it at a later date.

BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger November 18th 2013, 10:51 am

ARB is in.  cheers 
IC and gearing 524583_10151998156339485_1005669957_n

I also measured the control arm heights.

LCA
11.25 F
10.125 R

UCA
17.625 F
17.125 R

When I entered this into baseline's calculator, I realized the arm angles actually diverge instead of converge at this ride height.  The AS number was 32% or so. I even went back and double measured because I though I goofed.  By lowering the front UCA to the other hole in the S-box, the AS goes up to 140%, IC length of 54" height 13.5" which sounds like the direction I want to go.  I suppose lowering the rear of the car might have a similar effect, but I like the ride height of the car right now so I don't want to monkey with that.

Last edited by BigBlockRanger on November 18th 2013, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I goofed up the numbers.)
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 18th 2013, 12:17 pm

What are the actual lengths of the arms measured squarely in the car?

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 November 18th 2013, 12:18 pm

What are the control arms doing? Up? Down? And I don't mean angles. Different length bars and ride height change those angles!

IC and AS numbers are different for every car. I will say that your AS number seems a tad high....
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 November 18th 2013, 1:08 pm

Just wondering and trying to get edgeumakated....on your LCA and UCA measurements I assume this is from the floor to bolt center measurement? You have upper and lowers on each side of the car... what dictates to use the numbers from the left side or the right side? I know when Tony had me measure mine with me in the seat race ready, mine weren't the same and the calculator only gives a person the option to enter 6 measurements are there is actually 12. What gives scratch

If you can snap a picture of this s box your talking about and the holes for moving the front UCA is throwing me a curve...I don't have anything like that confused
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next