BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trans problem for mud racing

3 posters

Go down

trans problem for mud racing Empty trans problem for mud racing

Post  pigs521bbf July 28th 2013, 10:21 pm

so I wanted to do a transbrake in my c6, however some money issues are about.. but anyone have any suggestions about just upgrading the clutches, ect in the c6 and just foot braking it with a well built convertor.. any thoughts?

pigs521bbf

Back to top Go down

trans problem for mud racing Empty Re: trans problem for mud racing

Post  kjett July 29th 2013, 9:03 am

If you are making any decent power, a clutch pack/drum upgrade will go a long way. I run the Alto clutches in my c6, but I've also got just about every trick you can do to a c6 in mine, thanks to the step by step instructions from Frank Merkl! There are times when the track doesn't like trans brake launches and I have to foot brake it, and there are times when the trans brake is the way to go. If you can afford it, and the driveline and your wallet can support it, then having a manual trans brake valve body is a good thing to have on hand.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney July 29th 2013, 12:18 pm

I think part if this depends on power level and weight. But none the less, here's a basic rundown of my junk
-5 clutches in all 3 packs
-in the fwd I've used alto red, Raybestos blue and even E4OD hardened core factory stuff. I feel the hardcore E4OD and the blues were better in that the Alto's would have more tooth wear on a refresh, but none of the clutches ever burned prematurely. I usually set the clearance for .006-.008/friction. I don't use a wave, but if you can fit it, it would be nice.
-direct clutch I usually have Alto red, but I'm going to try a waffle this next time, in either "old school" green or "high dollar" Raybestos blue. Here the clearance is around .008-.0011/friction
-low reverse, I usually have altos, but I'd bet a factory would give good service life. I don't have a wave in here either. Around .010/ fric.
-band is "cheapy" stock width Kevalr lined. Set 1-11/2 turns out from 120 inlb.
-servo I have is an uncut super servo, I'd like the Sonnax better for ease of install.
-I used a 67-3 VB kit for a long time, and it work decent. Recently went with a RMVB with a brake, and works good, but I have a small kink to get out of it.
-Servo apply lever is a A ratio(crappy, but it woked for me). A good apply lever (F is a very popular choice) would be a nice cheap upgrade.
Lots of folks here have similar combos with slightly different flavors for each, but how many ways can you alter a 3 speed cheaply? A good VB and servo are the most crucial part I think
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  J.Toney July 29th 2013, 12:24 pm

Oh, and Teflon sealing rings for sure.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content