BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

c6 Problem? Need more help. ? updated , rebuilt trans is slipping

+5
maverick
whitefield
Frank Merkl
supervel45
racinghabbit
9 posters

Go down

c6 Problem? Need more help. ? updated , rebuilt trans is slipping Empty c6 Problem? Need more help. ? updated , rebuilt trans is slipping

Post  racinghabbit August 22nd 2016, 10:48 am

I have a c6 in my 4x4 mud truck has first and second gear from e40d, bearing, manual valve body, edge pro converter.. launch in second gear shift to third. @3200 on converter

Problem. the stall speed in second gear is starting to climb... went from 3200, to 3500, to 3800, to over 4000 over the course of one day of racing.
so we changed the fluid dark and stinky very little fiber material, so yesterday when we raced we used first gear and just shifted twice... first gear stall @3200 where its supposed to..

What do you think is wrong?

Last edited by racinghabbit on September 13th 2016, 5:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

c6 Problem? Need more help. ? updated , rebuilt trans is slipping Empty Re: c6 Problem? Need more help. ? updated , rebuilt trans is slipping

Post  supervel45 August 22nd 2016, 7:21 pm

racinghabbit wrote:I have a c6 in my 4x4 mud truck has first and second gear from e40d, bearing, manual valve body, edge pro converter.. launch in second gear shift to third. @3200 on converter

Problem. the stall speed in second gear is starting to climb... went from 3200, to 3500, to 3800, to over 4000 over the course of one day of racing.
so we changed the fluid dark and stinky very little fiber material, so yesterday when we raced we used first gear and just shifted twice... first gear stall @3200 where its supposed to..

What do you think is wrong?

Sounds like a hard piston seal causing clutch's to slip and burn. I's start with the forward drum. They seem to like to go first in my experience. This is for the old C6 stuff, don't know much about the E40D conversion deals, suspect the same though.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

c6 Problem? Need more help. ? updated , rebuilt trans is slipping Empty Re: c6 Problem? Need more help. ? updated , rebuilt trans is slipping

Post  Frank Merkl August 22nd 2016, 8:00 pm

Crystal Ball broke , but sounds like over heating the fliud
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 22nd 2016, 9:44 pm

Frank... so can i just change the fluid ? It was really hot out...

racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield August 22nd 2016, 10:23 pm

Are you running any type of cooler ?
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 23rd 2016, 12:26 am

No cooler... short burst of racing 5 second passes.. in mud..
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 23rd 2016, 3:19 pm

where is the best place to put a transmission gauge on a c6? I do have a b&m aluminum pan
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 23rd 2016, 8:49 pm

Better put a cooler on that heap. I make short (between 5 and 6 secs.) runs, too....and my trans gets hotter than the hubs of hell if I don't run the fan on the shrouded trans cooler....hot enough to make the t-brake solenoid quit working. You may not be using a brake, but cooking the fluid is cooking the fluid.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R August 23rd 2016, 10:01 pm

racinghabbit wrote:No cooler... short burst of racing 5 second passes.. in mud..

You just diagnosed your problem

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl August 24th 2016, 12:59 am

B&m pan should have a 1/8" pipe plug in the side of it for a temp sensor , Change the oil , leaving in 2nd makes the converter work harder making more heat ! a cooler can help ,so can hosing down the trans case and pan with water between rounds , if you cann't hold your hand on the pan - it's to hot !
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

c6 Problem? Need more help. ? updated , rebuilt trans is slipping Empty You need a cooler

Post  manofmerc August 24th 2016, 2:04 pm

Come on give your transmission some love put a cooler on it .I have an 1/8 mile bracket racer .Whenever I come back to the pits after a race my transmission cooler is hot to the touch .I can only imagine how hot yours is .A built c6 with an aftermarket torque is an expensive investment .A cooler will go a long way towards making it last and perform like it should .

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 25th 2016, 5:54 pm

Transmission is torn apart.... Band cooked, two bushing on the direct drum and forward frictions burnt... I've been running it for 5 years without a cooler , first time it has had a problem... but I will more than likly add one... also a gauge when it goes back in.
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett August 26th 2016, 8:15 am

5 years on a racing transmission is a long time without a service interval. You got your money's worth out of that one. Replace the clutches, band, and bushings and let it eat! Might want to look at rolerizing it while you are in there if you have time and it's not already done. One of the best investments I've made while I was in mine. Very Happy
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit August 26th 2016, 4:21 pm

its roller already.
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  racinghabbit September 11th 2016, 1:11 pm

SO..... I had the transmission rebuilt... lasted 8 passes... Added a transmission temp gauge, and cooler.. Transmission never got over 200 degrees ever..... But yesterday when we where at a race , Deep pit. wide open in third and shifted to second because it was bogging down pretty good... and the tires stopped spinning and the rpms just hung out at 5500 for about a second... then let off... during that second the transmission cooler did smoke... as if there was a ton of heat.... but fluid in the pan never showed it on the gauge only jumped 40 degrees that pass. (160-200) ,... any idea's or suggestions. ?
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 September 14th 2016, 12:03 pm

I had one do that and it was the transfer case binding up
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down