BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some ideas!

+8
LivermoreDave
dfree383
bbf-falcon
cool40
richter69
rmcomprandy
kim
514Fox87
12 posters

Go down

I need some ideas! Empty I need some ideas!

Post  514Fox87 July 9th 2013, 6:09 pm

My combo has run 9.27@146.3 in good air. Beginning of year at the first test and tune car went a 9.33 spinning. Car has a SV1 that has a stumble at part throttle. Talked to Patrick and he said they have new metering blocks. Sent carb. back and he changed them. Put carb. on and it was worse then before. Finally with his help I got the carb. to quit breaking up but the car wouldn't ET. While the car was down I changed to 4.10 gears from 3.89. Put the carb. back to the old setup and ran Fri. night and the car only went 9.79@138mph. Now air was bad bad. I have checked the converter it is flashing at 5950. Did compression test all is good. Ran valves all is good there. Car isn't popping missing or acting up it simply has quit pulling. Pulled the plugs and front plugs are great. As I go back the plugs start to richen but not bad. Plugs 4 and 8 are coal black and sooted. These were new plugs. If it isn't a carb. problem what could it be? I'm at a loss. The car has lost about 110hp (50ish) from bad air I'm sure but where do I begin to look?
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

I need some ideas! Empty Re: I need some ideas!

Post  kim July 9th 2013, 6:45 pm

Don't know the SV1 persay, but with what you've said, you have raw fuel, not atomized, like possibly up and out vent tubes on conventional carb, hitting manifold floor and pulling/running to rear cylinders. Check float level, check base gasket, check for raw fuel out carb power area (don't believe SV1 has boosters like conventional carb) to see where this not atomized fuel is coming from.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 9th 2013, 9:30 pm

514Fox87 wrote:My combo has run 9.27@146.3 in good air.  Beginning of year at the first test and tune car went a 9.33 spinning.  Car has a SV1 that has a stumble at part throttle.  Talked to Patrick and he said they have new metering blocks.   Sent carb. back and he changed them.  Put carb. on and it was worse then before.  Finally with his help I got the carb. to quit breaking up but the car wouldn't ET.  While the car was down I changed to 4.10 gears from 3.89.  Put the carb. back to the old setup and ran Fri.  night and the car only went 9.79@138mph.  Now air was bad bad.  I have checked the converter it is flashing at 5950.  Did compression test all is good.  Ran valves all is good there.  Car isn't popping missing or acting up it simply has quit pulling.  Pulled the plugs and front plugs are great.  As I go back the plugs start to richen but not bad.  Plugs 4 and 8 are coal black and sooted.  These were new plugs.  If it isn't a carb. problem what could it be?  I'm at a loss.  The car has lost about 110hp (50ish) from bad air I'm sure but where do I begin to look?

Have you simply TRIED anther carb...?  
Maybe it will slow down more or maybe it will go faster or maybe it will be the same but, that sure will tell you something.

AND, if you haven't, CHANGE the spark plugs; don't just clean 'em.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 9th 2013, 9:46 pm

cell that carb and get a quickfuel and quit screwing with it.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 9th 2013, 9:59 pm

^^this........or put a rons toilet on and run your best et ever! Razz 
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 9th 2013, 10:14 pm

I would follow Kim/Randy's idea's before you do anything drastic. There's a logical explanation ,it just might take a little bit to find what has happened. Your spark might have weakened too,might try another box if at all possible. Good luck Melvin.Very Happy 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 10th 2013, 1:05 am

You can't clean plugs..... they go bad, you need to put new ones in.

I'd also try a regular dominator if you have one, I have heard of some engines having distribution issues with the one hole wonders. Guys either love them or totaly hate them.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave July 10th 2013, 8:04 am

IMO most responders to your topic and myself agree the engine is experiencing an over rich condition. The weather is part of the equation. As I read your original post the over rich idea became more prevalent, as the engine could not get on top of itself. I know nothing about the fuel induction system your using, but as others have mentioned I would try another carburetor to see which direction to take your effort.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 July 10th 2013, 4:04 pm

^^this........or put a rons toilet on and run your best et ever!

Lol If we hadn't just dropped 3300 on the frontend for the new car this is what we would have done. What upsets me more then anything is the attitude I got from Patrick. If the car has raw fuel getting to it how is it getting there if it isn't through the carb? I will change plugs again and double check float levels base gaskets etc. I will also put a different carb. on and see what happens. Thought maybe I was missing something. Thanks for the replies and I will let you know what I find.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 July 10th 2013, 4:04 pm

double post sorry
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney July 10th 2013, 5:24 pm

richter69 wrote:cell that carb and get a quickfuel and quit screwing with it.
I wouldn't put a shitfuel on my lawnmower...Razz 
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 10th 2013, 6:43 pm

514Fox87 wrote:^^this........or put a rons toilet on and run your best et ever!

Lol If we hadn't just dropped 3300 on the frontend for the new car this is what we would have done. What upsets me more then anything is the attitude I got from Patrick. If the car has raw fuel getting to it how is it getting there if it isn't through the carb? I will change plugs again and double check float levels base gaskets etc. I will also put a different carb. on and see what happens. Thought maybe I was missing something. Thanks for the replies and I will let you know what I find.

attitude alone is why I cant stand that m'fer, and all the PS carbs Ive dealt with were not worth a f-ck either.

honestly Id use a box stock holley before Id use a PS...... funny that is also the intitials for Pile of Shit lol.......fitting
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean July 10th 2013, 7:09 pm

richter69 wrote:

Lol If we hadn't just dropped 3300 on the frontend for the new car this is what we would have done.  What upsets me more then anything is the attitude I got from Patrick.  If the car has raw fuel getting to it how is it getting there if it isn't through the carb?  I will change plugs again and double check float levels base gaskets etc.  I will also put a different carb. on and see what happens.  Thought maybe I was missing something.  Thanks for the replies and I will let you know what I find.

attitude alone is why I cant stand that m'fer, and all the PS carbs Ive dealt with were not worth a f-ck either.

honestly Id use a box stock holley before Id use a PS...... funny that is also the intitials for Pile of Shit lol.......fitting

DAMN!!! Razz 
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. July 10th 2013, 7:34 pm

He's like a wounded Tiger .. Must be a reaction to the ink.Razz 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 10th 2013, 8:28 pm

i didnt get that one i sent ya Dave, wife said it was too "obsessive", lol

im goin back for more tomorrow though......;-)
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. July 10th 2013, 8:41 pm

Better listen to Mama....She is in control of all things loved by mankind.Laughing 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 10th 2013, 8:52 pm

custom
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney July 10th 2013, 10:05 pm

richter69 wrote:

Lol If we hadn't just dropped 3300 on the frontend for the new car this is what we would have done.  What upsets me more then anything is the attitude I got from Patrick.  If the car has raw fuel getting to it how is it getting there if it isn't through the carb?  I will change plugs again and double check float levels base gaskets etc.  I will also put a different carb. on and see what happens.  Thought maybe I was missing something.  Thanks for the replies and I will let you know what I find.

there's a few ps guys that would disagree. Just sayin.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller July 10th 2013, 11:37 pm

richter69 wrote:

I have a 1000 cfm Holley HP Carb on my 466 and can't complain.Plus i don't have big bucks for some of the Carbs out there i'm just a poor boy.Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave July 12th 2013, 9:00 am

Dave C. wrote:Better listen to Mama....She is in control of all things loved by mankind.Laughing 

This "mind control" will diminish with age! There will be a day when you rather have a bacon and tomato sandwich instead!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down