BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anybody still use iron heads to make horsepower?

+15
slurm
IDT-572
Barney
kjett
dfree383
schmitty
c.evans
IDIeselman
Bret Powell
Paul Kane
bb429power
richter69
bruno
yellowhorse7
ronrobart
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

anybody still use iron heads to make horsepower? Empty anybody still use iron heads to make horsepower?

Post  ronrobart February 12th 2013, 5:25 pm

whats the popular setup?

ronrobart

Back to top Go down

anybody still use iron heads to make horsepower? Empty Re: anybody still use iron heads to make horsepower?

Post  yellowhorse7 February 12th 2013, 5:42 pm

ronrobart wrote:whats the popular setup?

yep....

Razz
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

anybody still use iron heads to make horsepower? Empty Re: anybody still use iron heads to make horsepower?

Post  bruno February 12th 2013, 5:48 pm

alot of your truck pulling classes limit these guys to iron heads and they are making some real beans with them ........ plus they are a great way to lock in a grudge race also Wink

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 12th 2013, 5:54 pm

puttin one together right now for the street........... Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 12th 2013, 7:06 pm

I have a fresh street/strip setup with iron D0VE-C iron heads, great for my intended use.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane February 12th 2013, 7:58 pm

Working on a 1800+/- hp build right now, OEM iron heads.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 12th 2013, 8:49 pm

Paul Kane wrote:Working on a 1800+/- hp build right now, OEM iron heads.
Naturally aspirated or??? Sounds impressive Cool
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane February 12th 2013, 9:15 pm

bb429power wrote:
No, not naturally aspirated. Shocked

Boss block filled solid, 4.5 stroke billet crankshaft with chrysler rod journals, aluminum rods, forged pistons, ported C8VE (D0VE) heads.....oh, and some CH3NO2. Twisted Evil

I have some iron CJ heads that we might throw on top, too.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power February 12th 2013, 9:22 pm

Paul Kane wrote:
bb429power wrote:

Boss block filled solid, 4.5 stroke billet crankshaft with chrysler rod journals, aluminum rods, forged pistons, ported C8VE (D0VE) heads.....oh, and some CH3NO2. Twisted Evil

I have some iron CJ heads that we might throw on top, too.
That's what I thought Laughing Still seems pretty impressive to me, must be a hell of a porting job Cool
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Bret Powell February 12th 2013, 10:21 pm

Just a tick under two horse per cube @ 8500. No power adders.

Last edited by Bret Powell on February 12th 2013, 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bret Powell

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 12th 2013, 10:24 pm

looks like an attempt by the op to pimp his services, dang the add got pulled in the auction block..............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  IDIeselman February 12th 2013, 10:36 pm

richter69 wrote:looks like an attempt by the op to pimp his services, dang the add got pulled in the auction block..............

^^^ FACT!! http://www.foxlakeracing.com/mod2.php?id=33
IDIeselman
IDIeselman

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 12th 2013, 10:39 pm

Good eye, Hawkeye Very Happy

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty February 12th 2013, 10:40 pm

Decent looking stuff, and the price isn't outrageous for a CNC deal.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 12th 2013, 10:42 pm

dang rules.......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 12th 2013, 10:52 pm

schmitty wrote:Decent looking stuff, and the price isn't outrageous for a CNC deal.
x2 good the see people interested in factory iron. It's definetly fun to mess with.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett February 12th 2013, 11:46 pm

dfree383 wrote:
schmitty wrote:Decent looking stuff, and the price isn't outrageous for a CNC deal.
x2 good the see people interested in factory iron. It's definetly fun to mess with.

And it's fun to run and watch the competitions eyes get all wide when you pop the hood and they realize you are still running factory iron heads and busting their asses while they spend their money on the typical brand x aluminum stuff Shocked
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane February 13th 2013, 12:34 pm

bb429power wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:
bb429power wrote:

That's what I thought Laughing ...must be a hell of a porting job Cool
The port work executed on the C8VE heads is nothing special or exotic.

I suspect that you might be surprised how insignficant "flow numbers" become when working with nitromethane. There are far more important things to consider when designing a cylinder head that will stand up to nitro.

anybody still use iron heads to make horsepower? Y2kaboom

Most of today's Top Fuel heads "flow" like crap compared to, say, today's Pro Stock heads....and yet the TF head can and will support 6-7 times the horsepower of the PS head. Flow-Schmo, all the oxygen you need comes from the can. Very Happy
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 13th 2013, 12:46 pm

Paul Kane wrote:
bb429power wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:
bb429power wrote:

I suspect that you might be surprised how insignficant "flow numbers" become when working with nitromethane. There are far more important things to consider when designing a cylinder head that will stand up to nitro.

Most of today's Top Fuel heads "flow" like crap compared to, say, today's Pro Stock heads....and yet the TF head can and will support 6-7 times the horsepower of the PS head. Flow-Schmo, all the oxygen you need comes from the can. Very Happy
how many runs do you expect it to last?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane February 13th 2013, 1:23 pm

dfree383 wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:
bb429power wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:
bb429power wrote:

how many runs do you expect it to last?
In all seriousness, given the iron block, iron heads, billet crankshaft, "low" horsepower (for a nitro engine), etc, I feel it could last for a couple of seasons of racing provided the tune is always spot-on and the regular maintenance is done. They run WOT for just 6-7 seconds a pass.

But nitro is very expensive and this is an excersize for me. My intention is to just run the passenger car heads for a few track days, freshen them with new parts and sell them, transfer the C8VE's valve train to the iron CJs and run the iron CJ heads for a few track days, freshen them and sell them, etc. Then I'll probably tear this engine down and part it out. I'll keep the billet crankshaft and put it in an A460 block with a pair of our billet hemi heads and step up the hp. I already have most of the parts to build the hemi headed Fuel engine but maintaining and running such an engine is suuuuuper-expensive and that build will probably have to become a team effort of sorts with a few of us over here. But now we're no longer talking about iron heads, so....
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney February 13th 2013, 2:36 pm

Good luck... went pretty fast with iron heads... 1800hp might be a stretch but give it hell.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 February 13th 2013, 2:51 pm

Barney wrote:Good luck... went pretty fast with iron heads... 1800hp might be a stretch but give it hell.

With a blower and nitromethane?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 13th 2013, 3:04 pm

RHS 385 heads ?
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ronrobart February 13th 2013, 4:15 pm

RHS made a stock replacement head for the 87-92 EFI,there on EBAY.Thats what we used to make the 724hp on mudslinger 518.its alot thicker than the stock efi heads.we made adapter plates to bolt a early style intake on to them.

ronrobart

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 13th 2013, 5:02 pm

ronrobart wrote:RHS made a stock replacement head for the 87-92 EFI,there on EBAY.Thats what we used to make the 724hp on mudslinger 518.its alot thicker than the stock efi heads.we made adapter plates to bolt a early style intake on to them.

I see you said made not make, does that mean they are no longer available?

Thanks for posting on our site, it's good to have venders on that support our favorite engine.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next