BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let see some junk builds

+5
dfree383
DILLIGASDAVE
cool40
richter69
85bigblockfox
9 posters

Go down

Let see some junk builds Empty Let see some junk builds

Post  85bigblockfox January 24th 2013, 2:24 pm

I know some people have ran some thrown together 460s that ran decent. What are they? I mean stock heads, cast pistons, nitrous, stock shortblocks etc. I think I did decent last year with a 302 and some spray. Look to do a similar deal this year but with a 460. So post them up, lets see some stock junk combos and times.
85bigblockfox
85bigblockfox

Back to top Go down

Let see some junk builds Empty Re: Let see some junk builds

Post  richter69 January 24th 2013, 2:37 pm

workin on one now........ Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 24th 2013, 9:50 pm

i used left over 351c parts in a 400.small solid camand trw pistons in the hole about .060 Laughing the heads were good 4v closed chamber with prostock exhaust port plates.i used the weiand intake plates so the 351 intake would fit and a weiand xcelerator intake with 850 carb. stock crank and rods with arp bolts. the car weighed 2600# at the time and ran 6.79-6.80 all day on motor. 400 shot of spray and it'd go 5.70's. the best motor for the $$ i ever had and still have it in the shop corner for the last 10yr. Laughing i always thought about a street car build with it............ Suspect
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 24th 2013, 11:42 pm

Duane's (from the other 460 site) street/strip 69 Mustang with junkyard 460 back in 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp25L375TzQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDDSE_QPHSI

High milage junkyard 460 shortblock with noticable cylinder ridge (maybe from 69-70). Quick hone job with drill & dirt cheap conventional hone plus dingleberry hone. Reused the worn factory crankshaft & cast pistons, cleaned the pistons & installed std size cheap rebuilder rings, emeryclothed the crank journals & installed cheap std size rebuilder bearings. The ring gap & bearing clearences were a little loose but what the hell. Later model bone stock D3 heads & stock valves, no port/chamber work, lapped the valves (I think), stock rockers & pushrods. Small hyd Ford Motorsport cam, Weiand Stealth intake, Holley 850, DuraSpark. Ancient NOS Cheater system, old style super fat 175hp jetting (73-N/82-G) "backward" by todays standads. C-6, TCI manual vb, tight 11" converter, 4.11 gears (I think), both 9" & 10" slicks used over time. Moroso floater ladder bars, 3 way adj rear shocks, stock front shocks. Subframe connectors, no roll bar/cage. Reg unleaded pump gas - motor/super unleaded pump gas - nitrous. Full interior, nitrous bottle in trunk, over 3000lbs (wild guess maybe 3300 w/o driver). Best motor - 7.90's range, best nitrous - 6.90's range. Ran for 1000's of bracket & bottle passes before finally being replaced many years later.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 25th 2013, 1:08 pm

This is a fun thread !!!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 25th 2013, 9:26 pm

Bottle dry-hops were damn fun back then. Twisted Evil
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Let see some junk builds Empty first car

Post  slurm January 26th 2013, 12:03 am

The first car I bought myself was a 67 fastback 289 3 speed stock. And it sucked . The next up grade 030 over 302 cast flat top,351w heads, single plane intake biggest PAW cam they had (mech) . Got some sweet slappers, welded 3.08s,and RPM. Shifting around 8000 got it to run 9.00 eighth I think. So an FE guy said I need a real motor and proceeded to tell me 390s were the ultimate ford engine. In the process of looking for a FE I came across an old endure car that a farmer had. He told some sweet stories of old cop cars he bought and abused that had monster torque. Well the car I was looking at was his brothers and told me it was just a low comp small port big block. Gave the man my 100 bucks and dragged it home. Got my rearend chewed to non existence by my father which hate big blocks ( big heavy no rpm piles) Bought every SA book on big blocks and the insight to the great SCJ motors or the next best thing PI. After reading this and other small clues ( oil filter adapter, long ass exhaust manifolds, and square bore intake) sweet I had a PI motor and no money. Over the coarse of a year gathered up a tci super street fighter converter, small doug Herbert mechanical cam, a used timing set, and got lucky with an intake. Old truck puller that thought tunnel rams never worked and were even worse for the street, sold me a setup for 100 dollars with two 600 holleys. Headers were the last issue but THANK YOU crites the manifolds would have never fit. Got it swept into one pile, my first engine build, napa stock every thing emery polished crank with my shoe string. Had to figure out what the hell that thing is that cleans pistons grooves. The valve train consisted of all used bbc parts. Rocker sweep is over rated lol. Drove the car 250 miles to the nearest 1/4 mile sabin nd. First past was a tire smoking 13 something at 70 mph. Shifting at 6800 with original rod bolts. But by the end of the day was running ( with the help of my father) I think was 12.00s With 3.08s. WHHHHAAAA I miss that car!
slurm
slurm

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 27th 2013, 9:29 am

slurm wrote:The first car I bought myself was a 67 fastback 289 3 speed stock. And it sucked . The next up grade 030 over 302 cast flat top,351w heads, single plane intake biggest PAW cam they had (mech) . Got some sweet slappers, welded 3.08s,and RPM. Shifting around 8000 got it to run 9.00 eighth I think. So an FE guy said I need a real motor and proceeded to tell me 390s were the ultimate ford engine. In the process of looking for a FE I came across an old endure car that a farmer had. He told some sweet stories of old cop cars he bought and abused that had monster torque. Well the car I was looking at was his brothers and told me it was just a low comp small port big block. Gave the man my 100 bucks and dragged it home. Got my rearend chewed to non existence by my father which hate big blocks ( big heavy no rpm piles) Bought every SA book on big blocks and the insight to the great SCJ motors or the next best thing PI. After reading this and other small clues ( oil filter adapter, long ass exhaust manifolds, and square bore intake) sweet I had a PI motor and no money. Over the coarse of a year gathered up a tci super street fighter converter, small doug Herbert mechanical cam, a used timing set, and got lucky with an intake. Old truck puller that thought tunnel rams never worked and were even worse for the street, sold me a setup for 100 dollars with two 600 holleys. Headers were the last issue but THANK YOU crites the manifolds would have never fit. Got it swept into one pile, my first engine build, napa stock every thing emery polished crank with my shoe string. Had to figure out what the hell that thing is that cleans pistons grooves. The valve train consisted of all used bbc parts. Rocker sweep is over rated lol. Drove the car 250 miles to the nearest 1/4 mile sabin nd. First past was a tire smoking 13 something at 70 mph. Shifting at 6800 with original rod bolts. But by the end of the day was running ( with the help of my father) I think was 12.00s With 3.08s. WHHHHAAAA I miss that car!

That's when it was REALLY fun Cool

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Let see some junk builds Empty My 63 Fairlane with

Post  57custom February 4th 2013, 11:30 pm

.030 over 460. I had it bored out 30 and ordered some forged speedpro flat top pistons. They came with a slight dome so just decided to keep them and put them in. A cheap set of rings and new bearings of course. I ordered the biggest hyd flat tappet cam that I could use with a stock valve train. Lifters,push rods, rockers, springs and so on. I think it was slightly over 100.00 total with shipping from Chet Herbert. I ground the exhaust emissions bump off the exhaust port. Surfaced the heads .010 or less can't remember. Swap meet Offenhauser portosonic intake. swap meet 850 holley center squirter (still have it). Homemade headers from a swap meet set of long nose mustang kit 60.00 at the end of the day Very Happy I think I had about 800.00 dollars in it. My 63 weighed at that time 3610 lbs with me in it. 12.30 anytime and on a good day 12 teens. Best of 11.98 at around 108 or 109. Sprayed it one night at the 1/8 mile and was running low 7's at 95 on 150 hp of spray. Shocked Its more fun now at low 10's with my 545, but at bang for the buck it was hard to beat. Smile Kind of like my 304 Y-block on nitrous. Which was another low buck deal. I'm kinda poor Sad
57custom
57custom

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 February 5th 2013, 1:55 pm

I dont think of it as a junk build.. but it was a cheap one .060 over stock crank, rods, KB piston, give $650 for a used set of a429 heads,Clay Smith solid flat cam, victor, 950 proform, in a 52 f1 truck #3870 with driver best 11.38 @ 117 on hose 10.90's @ 126 have drove it 17000 miles on the street and 100 + passes won drag week quick street rod twice just keeps going.

i

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down