BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question on block plates

+2
mudtrucker
torkair
6 posters

Go down

A question on block plates Empty A question on block plates

Post  torkair October 7th 2012, 7:19 am

I've seen a few BBF builds where there is a block plate installed between the block itself and the timing cover. The reason I am considering one of these is because I currently don't have any accessory brackets for my build and I am seriously thinking of using a centrifugal supercharger on my motor along with everything else. I need space for the alternator and power steering as well as for the blower mounting point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

A question on block plates Empty Re: A question on block plates

Post  mudtrucker October 7th 2012, 7:55 pm

chris alston chassis works,you have to mill 1/4" off of the timing cover.
mudtrucker
mudtrucker

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty October 7th 2012, 8:22 pm

The front motor plates work well for a mounting point for all sorts of accessories. I got mine from Randy Malik. It's steel and tough as nails. No problem drilling and tapping holes for mounting. Reasonable price too. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 October 8th 2012, 7:42 am

In addtion to the need for milling .250" (or the thickness of your motor plate) from the back side of the timing cover, you may have a interference on one cylinder head and a portion of the plate may need to be pocket milled on the back side of that bank. Some timing covers do not like having that surface milled off, and the gasket surface takes a different profile, since the casting angles in...toward the center.
Those are a couple of reasons that the more conventional method of front motor plate installation puts the plate on the front side of the timing cover or belt drive cover.
I make (and inventory) the type that goes on the front of the cover, but can custom make any type that you need.
Just call, PM or e-mail...
Thanks,
Keith Fulp
KeithFulpMotorsports.com
678-458-2033

Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mudtrucker October 9th 2012, 7:51 pm

Wheelie58 wrote:In addtion to the need for milling .250" (or the thickness of your motor plate) from the back side of the timing cover, you may have a interference on one cylinder head.
The raised cobra jet logo on my heads did interfere with the plate but beacuse they were already on the block and I am impatient i used a grinder and removed the raised logo enough to clear the plate.
mudtrucker
mudtrucker

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt October 9th 2012, 8:52 pm

Wheelie58 wrote:In addtion to the need for milling .250" (or the thickness of your motor plate) from the back side of the timing cover, you may have a interference on one cylinder head and a portion of the plate may need to be pocket milled on the back side of that bank. Some timing covers do not like having that surface milled off, and the gasket surface takes a different profile, since the casting angles in...toward the center.
Those are a couple of reasons that the more conventional method of front motor plate installation puts the plate on the front side of the timing cover or belt drive cover.
I make (and inventory) the type that goes on the front of the cover, but can custom make any type that you need.
Just call, PM or e-mail...
Thanks,
Keith Fulp
KeithFulpMotorsports.com
678-458-2033

X2, I have seen Keith's work in person, beautiful craftsmanship. Real laid back fellow as well.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 October 9th 2012, 11:11 pm

torkair wrote:I've seen a few BBF builds where there is a block plate installed between the block itself and the timing cover. The reason I am considering one of these is because I currently don't have any accessory brackets for my build and I am seriously thinking of using a centrifugal supercharger on my motor along with everything else. I need space for the alternator and power steering as well as for the blower mounting point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I make a few diff styles, behind the timing cover .200 thick , this way stock gasket,and oil pan bolts fit,Just mill the cover .200 , or I can for you,

the others mount between the waterpump and cover, both can be steel or alum
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair October 10th 2012, 2:59 am

BOSS 429 wrote:
torkair wrote:I've seen a few BBF builds where there is a block plate installed between the block itself and the timing cover. The reason I am considering one of these is because I currently don't have any accessory brackets for my build and I am seriously thinking of using a centrifugal supercharger on my motor along with everything else. I need space for the alternator and power steering as well as for the blower mounting point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I make a few diff styles, behind the timing cover .200 thick , this way stock gasket,and oil pan bolts fit,Just mill the cover .200 , or I can for you,

the others mount between the waterpump and cover, both can be steel or alum

Do you happen to have pics of either of them installed on an engine? I'm liking the idea of the plate that bolts between the block and timing cover though.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 January 24th 2013, 11:36 pm

somehow i missed your post, yes we have pics,and i can make the plate for behind or in front of the cover,whichever you want, please give me a call, pm me an address

BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down