BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Enclosed trailers

+14
bbf-falcon
the Coug
jasonf
5pointslow
dfree383
cool40
David Cole
richter69
Doug Rahn
Barney
69F100
yellowhorse7
Nevs
schmitty
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Enclosed trailers Empty Enclosed trailers

Post  schmitty August 12th 2012, 1:06 pm

I'm looking to buy a 48' enclosed trailer with living quarters. I just wanted to know if there are brands that I should stay away from. I have been looing around on Racing Junk and there are plenty of used ones there in all price ranges. I really just need a decent one, not top of the line and new. It would be a lot nicer going to races and having a place with A/C to hang out till it's time to race. When I go up to Sturgis, I have to have someone pull up a camper so we have a decent place to stay, and it would be a lot easier if it was just one trailer. If I could find one that had a small lounge/living quarters and 28' or more of garage it would be best. Then I could haul my truck and Sidekick in the garage part. If not, I think I could flat tow the Sidekick behind. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Enclosed trailers Empty Re: Enclosed trailers

Post  Nevs August 12th 2012, 3:27 pm

The one I had before we bought our stacker was a Vintage brand Rob. It had 28' of trailer space and a 20' living quarters. We pulled it all over the eastern US with a Powerstroke dually, got about 10mpg with it. It never gave us any trouble, and as far as I know, the guy who bought it hasn't had anything besides brakes, tires and repacking the wheel bearings...
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 August 12th 2012, 3:29 pm

Vintage Outlaw IMO is the best trailer on the market. Built well, lots of options for the money, great people to work with. My brother has one for his RR car and loves it
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 12th 2012, 4:39 pm

Rob Pace American made a great LQ and now Look Trailers own them so you can still get parts if you ever need anything for them.

One thing when looking at the LQ in any line of trailer make sure they have the extra support under the riser area and bracing they are heavy and take a beating in that area with twisting and flexing.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney August 12th 2012, 4:58 pm

Us Cargo, Pace, and Haulmark Elite all make pretty good haulers.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn August 12th 2012, 5:08 pm

IMHO Featherlite is the way to go. All aluminum construction, lighter and more corrosion resistant than the rest. I have an open Featherlite and it looks as good as the day I bought it. Low maintenance, just tires and maybe repacking wheel bearings.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 12th 2012, 5:14 pm

Rob = Basketball
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole August 12th 2012, 6:44 pm

My 03 Vintage has been problem free. Vintage is a good trailer that won't break the bank.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 12th 2012, 8:36 pm

the Vintage is a good trailer for the money.i sure like my Featherlite 36',it pulls better than the 24' bumper pull i had.the aluminum trailers cost more but sure hold value good,Exiss and ATC are nice aluminum trailers too. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 20th 2012, 12:52 pm

What kind of trailer You end up with schmitty?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow August 20th 2012, 2:42 pm

i dont having living quarters but got a 28ft enclosed united its built very well
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty August 20th 2012, 10:04 pm

dfree383 wrote:What kind of trailer You end up with schmitty?

Nothing yet. Just kind of kicking tires right now and seeing what is out there in my price range. I'd love to have about $30k to drop on one, that would make this a lot easier. There are a lot of them in that price range, but for no more than I would use one, I need to have about half that much in one or less. I can do a drop frame semi trailer conversion on my own for less than $10k, but then I have to pull it with the Pete, and that is getting kind of spendy on all the fuel. I may still pull it with the semi, but at least I won't be hauling that 13' high parachute. I can do about 8mpg with the drop deck flatbed, but that drop frame van is a killer and I get lucky to get 6mpg.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 20th 2012, 11:01 pm

Hell 8 mpg with a big rig is pretty damn good IMO
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty August 21st 2012, 1:41 pm

The problem with using the semi, is crossing state lines. I can do it with the van trailer, because it is registered as a camper. If I take the drop deck flatbed, I have to buy permits to cross state lines, and do a lot of paper work.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs August 21st 2012, 7:03 pm

schmitty wrote:The problem with using the semi, is crossing state lines. I can do it with the van trailer, because it is registered as a camper. If I take the drop deck flatbed, I have to buy permits to cross state lines, and do a lot of paper work.

You could always hire me to pull it, I've got all the permits. Of course you probably wouldn't save any money... Laughing
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 21st 2012, 9:21 pm

Make sure what ever you get that it has 16" wheels. The 15" tires are crap.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty August 21st 2012, 10:09 pm

Nevs wrote:
schmitty wrote:The problem with using the semi, is crossing state lines. I can do it with the van trailer, because it is registered as a camper. If I take the drop deck flatbed, I have to buy permits to cross state lines, and do a lot of paper work.

You could always hire me to pull it, I've got all the permits. Of course you probably wouldn't save any money... Laughing

I could do that for sure, but we'd have too much fun. Laughing
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 21st 2012, 10:15 pm

[quote="jasonf"]Make sure what ever you get that it has 16" wheels. The 15" tires are crap.[/quot

or the 17" g rated tire looks like semi tire but smaller and it is regroovable also
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 22nd 2012, 7:08 am

[quote="69F100"]
jasonf wrote:Make sure what ever you get that it has 16" wheels. The 15" tires are crap.[/quot

or the 17" g rated tire looks like semi tire but smaller and it is regroovable also

I might have to look into it.

I seem to kill 1 tire every time I use my trailer. Maybe it is Tn, I don't know. lmao. After a couple tires I found out all trailer tires are made in China. Did you know they don't balance trailer tires either? Apparently trailer bearings can handle vibrations better than car wheel bearings. Shocked

How does a piece of rubber just fall off?
Enclosed trailers 427566_10150947613866953_559158731_n
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs August 22nd 2012, 8:25 am

[quote="jasonf"]
69F100 wrote:
jasonf wrote:Make sure what ever you get that it has 16" wheels. The 15" tires are crap.[/quot

I might have to look into it.

I seem to kill 1 tire every time I use my trailer. Maybe it is Tn, I don't know. lmao. After a couple tires I found out all trailer tires are made in China. Did you know they don't balance trailer tires either? Apparently trailer bearings can handle vibrations better than car wheel bearings. Shocked

How does a piece of rubber just fall off?
Enclosed trailers 427566_10150947613866953_559158731_n

It's that fine Chinese workmanship!!! Laughing
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug August 22nd 2012, 12:50 pm

I see most trailer tires are just plain ole tires I allways go with the ST tires they are built for trailers and with stiffer sidewalls they seem to hold up better than car tires
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 22nd 2012, 1:09 pm

the Coug wrote:I see most trailer tires are just plain ole tires I allways go with the ST tires they are built for trailers and with stiffer sidewalls they seem to hold up better than car tires

The two new ones I bought are from Trailer World in BG (traier king or something). They are 8 ply trailer tires but everyone I have talked to said said that all the 15" trailer tires are junk.. I think they go with the 15" tires to get the trailer lower to the ground. A standard 16" trailer tire has a higher profile therefore is 2+" taller. This becomes a packaging issue with wheel well room and can cause problems depending on trailer manufacturer. That's why it is best to start off with the right tire in the first place. One thing they also mentioned is lots of people are going to 16" rims and using truck tires because you can buy a very good quality 10 ply truck tire that has almost the same load rating and in a shorter profile to fit the lower trailers. Being most big trailers are triple axle the load rating would still be way over what the trailer is rated for.

jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug August 22nd 2012, 1:17 pm

jason do they have ST written on the sidewalls? if not they are just reg tires, all ST trailer tires are marked ST which stands for SpecialTrailer have stiffer sidewalls to handle the turning and extra weight of the trailer and load, I have had St's on my trailer for 6 years now and I have not had any problems with them and Trust me when I say they have neen tested, last month I has 36 engines on my trailer and I expected one to blow, but to my suprise nothing happened, my trailer has been severly over loaded many time in the last 6 months and tires were on my mind but they held up great.....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 22nd 2012, 1:30 pm

My 1995 United is a 34' tri axle bumper pull. It is in very good shape yet. It has 15" load range E Denman tires. Never had a problem yet. Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf August 22nd 2012, 2:13 pm

I don't know Coug, I am not home right now and can't see them. I know the new ones are ST225/75R15 by Mastertrack ( I looked them up online). I should point out I have only had problems with the original trailer tires not the replacement ones. I don't recall what brand the OEM tires are or their rating. I talked to Damon as well as several of the tire stores I called about tires and they all recommended stepping up to the 16" tires. This last tire was a front tire so when I got home I raised my hitch up one notch to see if maybe the front tires are carrying more of the load. I will know in Oct when we load up for Cruising the Coast.

Replacements: http://www.trailerworldparts.com/ordering/st22575r15-lrd-mastertrack-tire-only-p-496.html
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next