BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New regulations in Ohio for trucks and trailers over 10,001 lbs.

+6
jbozzelle
dfree383
richter69
Tore
bbf-falcon
Treeyasoon
10 posters

Go down

New regulations in Ohio for trucks and trailers over 10,001 lbs. Empty New regulations in Ohio for trucks and trailers over 10,001 lbs.

Post  Treeyasoon November 3rd 2010, 10:14 am

Thought I would pass this along.....

New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26,000 lbs.
The Public Utilities Commsission (PUCO) has recently revised its rules for motor carrier transportation safety. The newly revised rules extend PUCO’s jurisdiction to regulate vehicle safety to vehicles that are operating on a not-for-hire basis within the state with a GVWR of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds.
Active enforcement of the revised rules will not begin until January 1, 2011. No forfeitures or monetary penalties will be issued until this date unless violations are egregious. PUCO and the Ohio State Patrol have been instructed to use these inspections as opportunities to educate the driver/carrier.
The following is a summary of the requirements if the GVWR is 10,001 or more:
o Drivers must have a medical certificate (NO CDL IS REQUIRED)
o The truck or van must have company marking on each door
o Fire extinguisher must be accessible and secured
o Annual vehicle inspection
o Vehicle equipment must be in proper working order
o Maintenance records must be maintained
o Must maintain $1 million of insurance when hauling vehicles
o When motor vehicles are hauled there are special requirements for securing the load that must be followed
o A driver qualification file must be maintained – including the application for hire and the medical certificate
o Log books must be maintained, unless:
o If the vehicle(s) is within 150 miles of the business no log book needs to be maintained IF
o The driver returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours;
o The driver does not drive more than 11 hours;
o The driver must have at least 10 hours off between 12 hour shifts; and
o The company maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate time records.
If my vehicle has a GVWR of 10,001 or more and crosses state lines to make pick ups or deliveries, what else must be done?
o The vehicle must have a USDOT number if the vehicle crosses state lines
o The application for a USDOT number will require a safety audit from the PUCO
o Information on obtaining a USDOT number may be found at www.fmcsa.dot.gov
How can I assure that my company’s vehicles do not fall under these new rules?
o Ensure your vehicle GVWR is less than 10,001 pounds if possible. HOWEVER, BE SURE THAT ANY LOAD DOES NOT EXCEED THE VEHICLE’S LOAD CAPACITY!
o If you are using a truck and trailer combination to move cars or motorcycles/APV’s you may not be able to avoid these new rules as the GVWR of the truck and trailer must be less than 10,001 pounds.
Vehicles and drivers that are found to be in noncompliance can be pulled from service on the spot. Additionally, monetary fines may be issued by PUCO. Active enforcement will begin January 1, 2011.
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

New regulations in Ohio for trucks and trailers over 10,001 lbs. Empty Re: New regulations in Ohio for trucks and trailers over 10,001 lbs.

Post  bbf-falcon November 3rd 2010, 10:26 am

Just more state/goverment BS. Evil or Very Mad

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

New regulations in Ohio for trucks and trailers over 10,001 lbs. Empty Re: New regulations in Ohio for trucks and trailers over 10,001 lbs.

Post  Tore November 3rd 2010, 10:32 am

So this is for anybody going thru Ohio with a truck and trailer going to a race?

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 3rd 2010, 10:47 am

I wonder how much the yearly inspection for truck/trailer will be? Im about ready to sell my shit and buy a Saleen Mustang me and Sooz can drive to track and watch. Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Treeyasoon November 3rd 2010, 10:52 am

Tore wrote:So this is for anybody going thru Ohio with a truck and trailer going to a race?

Tore
I wondered the same thing Tore....I'm not sure how they will (Or even if they can) enforce vehicles from states that do not require all this stuff. I can't see people from other states having everything required in Ohio, just to travel through their state.
It might be worth some research or a call to the Ohio State Police to find out....might save some headaches in the future.
Treeyasoon
Treeyasoon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 3rd 2010, 10:52 am

I'd move lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 3rd 2010, 11:13 am

These may only apply to "Commercial" vehicals or ones used by Businesses.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 3rd 2010, 11:18 am

dfree383 wrote:These may only apply to "Commercial" vehicals or ones used by Businesses.

That's what it looks like. The "not for hire" bit seems like it applies to trucks owned by a business, but are not "for hire" like a hotshot truck would be...

My take is that as long as it is privately owned you should be OK.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tore November 3rd 2010, 11:20 am

Well I sure hope so. Living in NY all I pay is tax for home and tax for work. Sad Sad

Tore
Tore
Tore

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 3rd 2010, 12:00 pm

dfree383 wrote:These may only apply to "Commercial" vehicals or ones used by Businesses.

Dave,from what i've been reading the last hr. I think you may be right. I sure hope so. I sent odot a email about the new reg.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori November 3rd 2010, 6:39 pm

Is PUCO pronounced "Puke-Oh"??? Sounds fitting.

I have to say the load securement stuff is a good thing, I couldn't believe some of the scary loads we saw on small trailers and pick-ups with a small rope or a bungee cord when we were trucking.

These rules are a cake walk compared to what commercial truck drivers have to do, the DOT knows better when you are tired than you do.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs November 3rd 2010, 6:56 pm

Treeyasoon wrote:Thought I would pass this along.....

New Regulations For Vehicles With GVWR of 10,001 to 26,000 lbs.
The Public Utilities Commsission (PUCO) has recently revised its rules for motor carrier transportation safety. The newly revised rules extend PUCO’s jurisdiction to regulate vehicle safety to vehicles that are operating on a not-for-hire basis within the state with a GVWR of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds.
Active enforcement of the revised rules will not begin until January 1, 2011. No forfeitures or monetary penalties will be issued until this date unless violations are egregious. PUCO and the Ohio State Patrol have been instructed to use these inspections as opportunities to educate the driver/carrier.
The following is a summary of the requirements if the GVWR is 10,001 or more:
o Drivers must have a medical certificate (NO CDL IS REQUIRED)
o Fire extinguisher must be accessible and secured
o Annual vehicle inspection
o Vehicle equipment must be in proper working order
o Maintenance records must be maintained
o Must maintain $1 million of insurance when hauling vehicles
o When motor vehicles are hauled there are special requirements for securing the load that must be followed
o A driver qualification file must be maintained – including the application for hire and the medical certificate
o Log books must be maintained, unless:
o If the vehicle(s) is within 150 miles of the business no log book needs to be maintained IF
o The driver returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours;
o The driver does not drive more than 11 hours;
o The driver must have at least 10 hours off between 12 hour shifts; and
o The company maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate time records.
If my vehicle has a GVWR of 10,001 or more and crosses state lines to make pick ups or deliveries, what else must be done?
o The vehicle must have a USDOT number if the vehicle crosses state lines
o The application for a USDOT number will require a safety audit from the PUCO
o Information on obtaining a USDOT number may be found at www.fmcsa.dot.gov
How can I assure that my company’s vehicles do not fall under these new rules?
o Ensure your vehicle GVWR is less than 10,001 pounds if possible. HOWEVER, BE SURE THAT ANY LOAD DOES NOT EXCEED THE VEHICLE’S LOAD CAPACITY!
o If you are using a truck and trailer combination to move cars or motorcycles/APV’s you may not be able to avoid these new rules as the GVWR of the truck and trailer must be less than 10,001 pounds.
Vehicles and drivers that are found to be in noncompliance can be pulled from service on the spot. Additionally, monetary fines may be issued by PUCO. Active enforcement will begin January 1, 2011.

Welcome to my world. As a 48 state contract carrier, I put up with this bs every day. Have been for over 36 years now.....
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power November 3rd 2010, 9:23 pm

Don't let the man bring you down, fight the power brothers!!! afro lol!
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy November 3rd 2010, 9:27 pm

After seeing the 2nd line, I would think these new regs apply to commercial trucks ?.....
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down