BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

deep sump oil pan help!

2 posters

Go down

deep sump oil pan help! Empty deep sump oil pan help!

Post  77ford January 15th 2012, 11:21 pm

Hi, i bought a 460 that has been rebuilt( 15000 miles) and was in a truck, was told it was a 10 quart pan rear sump, but i think it is an 8 quart pan. It is a moroso looks like aluminum not the gold ones. How can i tell what pan it is 8 or 10?

I wonder if it is needed in my truck or just go back to the stock one? Just a 4x4 not a race truck.

Also it came with a d.u.i distributor don't know much about these , i have heard of them never used one. Are these pretty good for daily use?

The engine is a 71 block bored .040 , was told it has a " rv set up cam pistons" not sure what that means! But i plan to tear it apart and see. Aluminum edelbrock intake performer, truck avenger carb 670 he thinks, had headers but sold em. heads were rebuilt they are 73 castings. Thats about all i know about this engine, I hope it runs and can put it in my truck, but i will check the bearings etc. before i put it in. If not i am not out much.

thanks for any help.

77ford

Back to top Go down

deep sump oil pan help! Empty Re: deep sump oil pan help!

Post  dfree383 January 16th 2012, 8:45 am

Measure the pan and look on the websites.

8 quarts is typicaly plenty, even in a 10 qt pan.

I have a 8 quart drag pan on my 427 and it likes 7....... at 8 it has eratic oil pressure over 6500 rpm.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down