BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throttle Body EFI and Victor Intakes fuel distribution

5 posters

Go down

Throttle Body EFI and Victor Intakes fuel distribution Empty Throttle Body EFI and Victor Intakes fuel distribution

Post  windsor June 3rd 2010, 11:21 am

Smart folks........ I'm doing the rounds on various forums on trying to figure out how to run a TBI setup. System I'd like to use is the Wilson V-Force EFI Throttle Body with 8 Injectors, which I've posted about before.

Throttle Body EFI and Victor Intakes fuel distribution WM_EFIbolton

Anyhow, a true EFI guru told me they tested this thing on a BBC and got horrible distribution from it:

I used the Wilson at a test at a popular carb shop on the East Coast 2 years back.

On a 650hp BBC, it failed miserably. We couldn't get distribution even close to be safe at WOT. It was a pretty mild BBC too.

Honestly, I couldn't figure out just what the problem was. We tried "multiple squirts per cycle" and "alternating squirts" to even out the fuel flow, but the separate injectors just couldn't match the carburetor's consistent fuel flow. This was during a megameet too - we had the best minds in EFI working on it, to no avail. For whatever reason, we were unable to evenly/consistently load the incoming air column with the right fuel mix on that engine. I have heard that aggressively cammed motors are having the same problem with ALL the new "TBI EFI" systems.

So do you think this could be something that would plague the BBF as well, or is there something possibly specific to the BBC that could cause this? Firing order? Intake manifold distribution? Etc?

Last edited by windsor on June 16th 2010, 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Throttle Body EFI and Victor Intakes fuel distribution Empty Re: Throttle Body EFI and Victor Intakes fuel distribution

Post  whatbumper June 3rd 2010, 11:32 am

why not just run a regular efi setup with the injector in each runner?

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Throttle Body EFI and Victor Intakes fuel distribution Empty Re: Throttle Body EFI and Victor Intakes fuel distribution

Post  windsor June 3rd 2010, 11:50 am

This may be dumb, but I just do not like the way they look.........at all. I love the neat, uncluttered, old school hot rod look of a clean intake and a carb with an air cleaner. Just me.

I plan on making at least 700 hp, so the Retrotek or EZEFI systems are a no-go. If there was room in a Victor Jr underneath for plumbing injectors I could go that route, but I don't think there is.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 14th 2010, 2:30 pm

Have you looked into the 4 injector carb looking systems? or the old Holley Projecton system? Maybe the different position of the injector would cure the distribution problem.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 14th 2010, 5:37 pm

I've been thinking about this. I think I may have a possible solution. There are 4 injectors on each side that are fired either sequential or bank to bank. If you fire the injectors bank to bank but wire the injectors differently I think you would be okay. Instead of wiring each side in order you can alternate sides with the wiring so essentially you are firing 2 injectors on each side basically all the time. Kinda like a chevy. All the evens on one side and the odds on the other but still fire them with the 460's firing order.

i re-read that and am not sure if it made sense so if it doesn't just let me know.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 14th 2010, 6:44 pm

I'll take "how it works" over "how it looks" any day...........but thats just me.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger June 15th 2010, 12:30 am

What efi system are you running or plan to run? Sequential or batch fire?

I would run it batch fire (bank1 and bank 2) but wire them where each "bank" has 2 injectors per side to attempt to even out the delivery. I would figure once clear of the TB, the normal problems of BBF fuel distribution would apply.

I have never seen the bottom of one of those TB's.... Do the injectors fire into the intake plenum or into the TB bores? Maybe something like a tall open carb spacer to normalize the fairly directional fuel spray coming out of the injectors.
Just brainstorming here....
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor September 28th 2011, 12:19 am

Sorry I fell off the face of the earth on this one....it's been a rough year silent

I'd run likely run batch fire with this and would still want to use it if it makes sense. At least test it on the dyno when that day arrives.

The injectors fire under the throttle blades.

I've only heard of this tested on a BBC and not on anything else. Don't BBC's work bad with wet manifolds (I've read this somewhere)? What about the BBF?
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down