BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stand alone throttle body EFI systems

+3
jasonf
torino501
dfree383
7 posters

Go down

Stand alone throttle body EFI systems Empty Stand alone throttle body EFI systems

Post  dfree383 January 13th 2019, 10:22 am

Looking at a few systems for my 1970 mustang 351c 5 speed project.

Who’s messed with any of them?

Pros? Cons?

Which system would you recommend?

It’s a 358” 351c 4v engine making about 450
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Stand alone throttle body EFI systems Empty Re: Stand alone throttle body EFI systems

Post  torino501 January 13th 2019, 11:42 am

from what I see holley has several. im wanting to do E85 on a blown small block. between the cost and the hassle of installation. im very hesitant. im running a mark sullens E85 950 on a roots blower. for the money its pretty spot on. BUT.. I left some fuel in it for a month and damn near destroyed everything. I want to go with a super sniper from holley. but noting is compatible with E85 as far a sitting for awhile goes. unless everything is anodized. id like to hear some input aswell.

torino501

Back to top Go down

Stand alone throttle body EFI systems Empty Re: Stand alone throttle body EFI systems

Post  jasonf January 13th 2019, 8:43 pm

One word, HOLLEY. The Fitech seems to be hit or miss but if you have any problems their tech support blows. I have a Holley HP efi and their phone tech support leaves something to be desired but they have forum on their website where you get super fast tech support and they have everything down to what the part number is on the pins for a certain connection of a certain harness. I have used the forum several times and always got helpful info fairly quickly. They also have a FB tech page which is another avenue. I have a buddy that is a Holley dealer but works/installs everything and he said the Holley has the most tuning options where as the other brands are pretty limited.

What I always suggest is to find a dealer near you or someone you can rely on for help. Some people like FAST some hate it. But another friend had problems with his FAST system and couldn't find anyone around to work on it when he could't find the problem (maybe he didn't try hard enough) but if you know you can take it somewhere close if you can't figure out a problem or need help tuning that can be invaluable no matter what brand.

Last edited by jasonf on January 17th 2019, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 17th 2019, 8:03 pm

Ended up grabbing a Holley Sniper set-up

Report to follow
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf January 17th 2019, 9:46 pm

I'm looking forward to it. I wanted to buy one for my Galaxie but I bought two 4150 throttle bodies for another project. What a rip off throttle bodies are IMO but I wanted them so.....
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 11th 2019, 10:04 pm

dfree383 wrote:Ended up grabbing a Holley Sniper set-up

Report to follow

Report already!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Stand alone throttle body EFI systems Empty 351C EFI

Post  rharden June 26th 2019, 5:08 pm

I own a stroked 351C/408 and I went with the Holley Sniper. I thought it did a few things the FiTech EFI didn't and I am partial to Holley. Both the Fitech and Holley would be a good choice. My engine is not running, yet, and I've been installing the system, little by little. I did use the FiTech retro fuel tank pump. It will work for either Sniper or FiTech EFI systems, same PSI. It was cheaper than the Holley retro tank pump, and I thought better designed. It fit well and was easy to install on a 1970 Mustang. I am restoring the car and I had already purchased a new fuel tank before all of this. Then these companies come out with their EFI tanks. Ha! Sometimes we can't win. It worked out well. I work on my car, part time and not so often. I can keep you informed. Good luck!

rharden

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 26th 2019, 7:20 pm

I put the Fitech on a 57 Chevy that I restored for a Doctor friend of mine I would get it set right save the settings run good with great response let it sit for a day or two it would run like crap flood bad. Check the settings and they would be off. I called their tech support do what he said run good for a bit and start flooding again. Call back get a hold of a different tech he said no that the wrong way. I just gave up on it after 3 sets of plugs. I called Blueprint Engines where the engine came from and talk to one of their techs he said I had the wrong dizzy in it. For fuel injection on that engine it had to have a locked out dizzy HEI that came in it was advancing the timing and the fuel injection was also trying to set the timing. I think the Holley Sniper has a settings in it you can use either dizzy and the Fitech I didn't see any settings for different dizzy. Just something I learned with the Fitech
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  6t6mustang July 11th 2021, 7:30 pm

done like 4 fitechs and probably 6 snipers, the fitech has a few querks that once you learn, they are not that bad.. Holley seems better out of the box and the software is better to tune imo. occasionally either one will have issues, Holley o2's have had issues and they were having trouble with emi issues for a bit, fi tech occasionally had injector issues and typically are like 25% rich out of the box.
6t6mustang
6t6mustang

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 12th 2021, 6:49 am

Old post, but update

Tried the Holley system, had nothing but bad luck with it, fuel drips and would not tune.

Got in a pretty heated argument with Holley, Sent it back and got a AVS Eddy and it runs great, the engine ended up in my 34 ford not the mustang.

Haven’t decided if I’ll try EFI again, but have been looking at it for the Hemi that’s going in my 64 Polara and my try again on the mustang with the new engine I built for it.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Mark Miller and The Pope like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down