BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return/bypass style fuel pressure regulators

+2
pmrphil
1982GT
6 posters

Go down

Return/bypass style fuel pressure regulators Empty Return/bypass style fuel pressure regulators

Post  1982GT April 23rd 2018, 2:24 pm

Right now I'm running a Product Engineering 4400 (460gph) fuel pump. It has an adjustable #8 bypass. I'm looking into buying a new fuel pressure regulator, and I'm not sure if a non return style regulator will be sufficient with this pump even though the pump already has a bypass. I've had people tell me that I'll be fine with a dead head style regulator with this pump, and I've had others telling me that I should still go with the bypass/return style regulator.
The engine is a 466 with around 11.5:1 compression, Mildly ported aluminum SCJ heads, fairly aggressive solid lifter cam .657/.661...260/271@.050,
Victor intake/1050 4500 carb.
It does see occasional street duty.

Thoughts/opinions? Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
Bryan
1982GT
1982GT

Back to top Go down

Return/bypass style fuel pressure regulators Empty Re: Return/bypass style fuel pressure regulators

Post  pmrphil April 24th 2018, 8:32 am

I see a lot less pressure-induced problems using a bypass style system. The deadhead type does seem to heat the fuel quite a bit more, as well as pressure fluctuations from said heat.

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Return/bypass style fuel pressure regulators Empty Re: Return/bypass style fuel pressure regulators

Post  dfree383 April 24th 2018, 8:36 am

That pump appears to be super overkill for the application
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain April 24th 2018, 9:54 am

I use a bypass style regulator from BLP on my dyno which has two Holley black pumps that have been on there for more than 10 years. The pumps run really quiet because they only have to pump what pressure is needed at the carburetors and that means they never run up against their internal bypass. I think this can't do anything but help their longevity. Inside of the regulator is a "pill" that allows a small amount of fuel to bypass at all times. This makes the air get out of the system quickly when changing fuels etc.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  1982GT April 24th 2018, 12:45 pm

dfree383 wrote:That pump appears to be super overkill for the application

Dave, this fuel system will also be feeding a nitrous system.
1982GT
1982GT

Back to top Go down

Post  1982GT April 24th 2018, 1:42 pm

Thanks for the input...the pump is most likely overkill...initially the engine was going to be bigger, but the pump was already purchased. I figured it would most likely need a bypass system...just wanted a few opinions. I know the system will more than I’ll ever need!
1982GT
1982GT

Back to top Go down

Post  1982GT April 24th 2018, 10:13 pm

pmrphil wrote:I see a lot less pressure-induced problems using a bypass style system. The deadhead type does seem to heat the fuel quite a bit more, as well as pressure fluctuations from said heat.

I did have pressure fluctuations last year. Pressure would fluctuate nearly 1 pound in either direction from base setting after I drove the car around for a period of time.
1982GT
1982GT

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust April 26th 2018, 4:25 am

I run that exact pump , i use a 4 port P.E 4 port reg . Pump is set at 20 psi on the bypass , 6 psi at the reg. Works sweet

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  1982GT April 26th 2018, 9:12 am

Gregaust wrote:I run that exact pump , i use a 4 port P.E 4 port reg . Pump is set at 20 psi on the bypass , 6 psi at the reg. Works sweet

To clarify, you're just using the pump bypass and not a bypass regulator?
1982GT
1982GT

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust April 27th 2018, 4:46 am

1982GT wrote:
Gregaust wrote:I run that exact pump , i use a 4 port P.E 4 port reg . Pump is set at 20 psi on the bypass , 6 psi at the reg. Works sweet

Yes exactly right. I do fair bit street driving and club some track days

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  1982GT April 27th 2018, 6:13 am

Gregaust wrote:
1982GT wrote:

Yes exactly right. I do fair bit street driving and club some track days

Thank you.
1982GT
1982GT

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 5th 2018, 10:24 am

If Product Engineering sells regulators then your best bet would be to get their recommendation on what to use and if it needs to be a return or deadhead style system.

I'm using a Magnafuel 350 setup. It's deadhead and returns from the pump.

I've never had issues in the past with Holleys, BGs, Aeromotives, Mallorys, etc. when using the pumps and regulators that are designed to work together...

Seen plenty of people chase their tail mix matching pumps and regulators from different manufacturers...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  1982GT May 6th 2018, 6:35 pm

jbozzelle wrote:If Product Engineering sells regulators then your best bet would be to get their recommendation on what to use and if it needs to be a return or deadhead style system.

I'm using a Magnafuel 350 setup.  It's deadhead and returns from the pump.

I've never had issues in the past with Holleys, BGs, Aeromotives, Mallorys, etc. when using the pumps and regulators that are designed to work together...

Seen plenty of people chase their tail mix matching pumps and regulators from different manufacturers...

Thanks for the input. I'm certain my pump and my old holley regulator aren't working well together. I've been looking at both Product Engineering and Magnafuel regulators, since both pumps are very similiar in construction and operation.
1982GT
1982GT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down