BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Superior or Sonnax servos

+5
manofmerc
DILLIGASDAVE
Gregaust
aquartlow
rmk57
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Superior or Sonnax servos - Page 2 Empty Re: Superior or Sonnax servos

Post  rmk57 August 8th 2018, 1:32 pm

Had my 57 out a nostalgia race on the weekend and it ran almost a 1/10 quicker with the shift kit and Superior servo. It originally had the N servo and E lever.

Not positive but I think the trans came out of a early 70's Lincoln.

Drag racing this setup has become very frustrating with the original 61 year old column shifter. Shifting manually you never know what your going to get,

going from 1st to 3rd or occasionally going right into neutral.Mad I gave up and left it in drive and although it shifts early at around 5100 rpm it still runs

11.60's. I did remove the checkball in the secondary governor. Not sure which route I'm going to go. Either go for a proper floor shifter or experiment

with the governor some more.

Randy

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  Colt Macara July 6th 2019, 8:03 pm

Gregaust wrote:I should of mentioned ,Frank specifies 60LB@1.84" with his valvebody. All the testing I did was done on a valve spring tester. Came up nice, got me some good results.  Not always easy to get the heavy factory spring but his double spring setup as you see is spot on

I wasn't able to get the Dynaline spring Frank specified but got an equivalent "Century #73"  (2-1/2" x 1-3/8"x .135" .)

I know this is way old thread, but I ran across the Century spring you noted here at Amazon. It is under a new number Century C-814. The details in the ad are identical. Just thought it might help somebody.

Servo Spring

Last edited by Colt Macara on July 7th 2019, 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : CORRECT THE PART NUMBER)
Colt Macara
Colt Macara

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust July 7th 2019, 1:20 am

Good info handy to know , Thanks .. I still got a few I bought last time .

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Colt Macara July 7th 2019, 11:07 am

Gregaust wrote:Good info handy to  know , Thanks .. I still got a few I bought last time .

Once I started looking with that new # I also found them on eBay. BTW, I wanted to ask you, how far does the 'R' Servo piston travel? I quess what I'm looking for is how much does the servo spring compress when the piston is cycling?

I found a Century catalog with all the specs on that spring. Does it have a zinc finish? Their catalog shows it to have a zinc finish.
Colt Macara
Colt Macara

Back to top Go down

Post  Colt Macara July 7th 2019, 11:43 am

Gregaust wrote:Good info handy to  know , Thanks .. I still got a few I bought last time .

Well ain't this a kick in the pants. I looked up Dynaline catalog and they use the same # show as Century now. C-814. Also in parentheses under it is the same number Frank quoted 24814. 2-1/2 L x 1-3/8 OD x .135 Wire.
Colt Macara
Colt Macara

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust July 8th 2019, 4:42 am

The ones I had were zinc finish. The installed height is 1.84" . I checked the tensions in a valve spring tester to make sure they were spot on the 60lb.

The travel is minimal , basically whatever the 1-1/2 turns on the adjuster is , I can't say I have worked it out but not hard to, just need to know the thread pitch

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Colt Macara July 8th 2019, 9:06 am

Gregaust wrote:The ones I had were zinc finish. The installed height is 1.84" . I checked the tensions in a valve spring tester to make sure they were spot on the 60lb.

The travel is minimal , basically whatever the 1-1/2 turns on the adjuster is , I can't say I have worked it out but not hard to, just need to know the thread pitch

I ordered the Superior R Servo, the Sonnex E lever and the Century spring. Figuring piston travel sounds pretty basic. I was interested in what spring travel was left after the piston was activated. Should have parts in a couple of days. Thanks.

Last edited by Colt Macara on July 8th 2019, 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add 'R' to servo)
Colt Macara
Colt Macara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2