BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think it needs a blower but I really want to keep the AC

4 posters

Go down

I think it needs a blower but I really want to keep the AC Empty I think it needs a blower but I really want to keep the AC

Post  Myjack November 15th 2017, 4:38 pm

I have a sweet Model A coupe with a D3VE (1973) Lincoln, but she needs a boost - so to speak,  A local shop has a 460 blower manifold, 871 BDS blower with 10% overdrive belt, pulleys and hardware. All polished,

First question, in no particular order,, Anybody running A/C and a GMC style blower?

Fast and cool is a good thing, or goal.

Also, how reliable are these recent import Aluminum heads,, it would be nice to loose that 100-150 lbs. And the shop is saying by the time we replace seats and guides, add guide plates and port the iron heads - the alum heads are cheaper and faster.  

If we go that way, maybe stroke it to 514-520, again aftermarket stroker kits are better cranks, rods etc. for less than reconditioning and upgrades.

Somebody have ideas for AC compressor mounts?

Last edited by Myjack on November 15th 2017, 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Myjack
Myjack

Back to top Go down

I think it needs a blower but I really want to keep the AC Empty Re: I think it needs a blower but I really want to keep the AC

Post  dfree383 November 15th 2017, 4:54 pm

If you're going fast enough you won't need AC
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

I think it needs a blower but I really want to keep the AC Empty Re: I think it needs a blower but I really want to keep the AC

Post  Myjack November 15th 2017, 5:09 pm

dfree383 wrote:If you're  going fast enough you won't need AC
Says the sweaty guy waiting at the light.

Then there are the other 6 nights a week,,. And them boys with the blue flashing lights and no sense of humor disagree.

Myjack
Myjack

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf November 15th 2017, 5:30 pm

dfree383 wrote:If you're  going fast enough you won't need AC

Maybe in Pittsburgh. affraid

I don't see why you couldn't just fab up a bracket for the a/c and use a double v groove pulley setup. I would call someone like Hampton and ask them if don't want to fab something.

The reality is once you start driving a car that gets 6 mpg you probably won't want to drive it much anyways.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

I think it needs a blower but I really want to keep the AC Empty practicle hasn't been a priority

Post  Myjack November 16th 2017, 2:50 pm

I do have a sickness, I spend all winter  - and almost all my drinking money fixin, upgrading and hopping up; to play with it a couple dozen times during the spring, summer and fall.

It goes from $20 a cruise to $50 or $100. And - in my mind, goes from mean n grumpy to just flat bad.  Kind of a lil duce coupe and hot rod Lincoln - in my garage.

On the bright side - there are a bunch of qualified hot rodders that will have spent much more to go slower. And not have A/C.

Most will eat me for breakfast on curves and bumps, but hey, pick your poison

I guess I can start looking for a compact compressor
Myjack
Myjack

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf November 16th 2017, 3:56 pm

I have a friend with a blown BBC in a Beetle and it gets 4-6 mpg so he never drives it. Lame IMO but that is why I mentioned it. I talked to a guy on the HR Power Tour last year and with efi and a gear vendors he was getting 16 so you are not limited to single digit mileage.

Do you have enough room in the front for a 3" blower pulley?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

I think it needs a blower but I really want to keep the AC Empty if i swiqtch to pusher elecrtic fans and elec water pump,, it'l fit

Post  Myjack November 16th 2017, 8:07 pm

A single v belt behind the crank pulley could drive the alternator and a\c compressor

Myjack
Myjack

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino November 17th 2017, 12:17 am

Get a smaller import style compressor are relocate it down low somewhere. Fabricate the brackets if you have to, and re-route the A/C lines to get it all out of the way of the big lung!!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down