BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harmonic balancer repair sleeve?

3 posters

Go down

Harmonic balancer repair sleeve? Empty Harmonic balancer repair sleeve?

Post  Andre.servin June 28th 2015, 5:18 pm

'77 460 engine stock

How's it goin! I'm pretty sure my harmonic balancer is not good anymore because you can see the runner cracking and kinda pushing itself out a little bit.

I know on a 318 I did some years back I used a harmonic balancer repair sleeve on it that I guess would fix any vibration issues.

I was wondering if they made something like that for a 460 of my year? I went to Oreillys and bought a national one, it does not seem to fit at all....

Does anyone make one? Or do I just need to drop $100 bucks on a new one vs refurbish my stock one?

Thanks!

Andre.servin

Back to top Go down

Harmonic balancer repair sleeve? Empty Re: Harmonic balancer repair sleeve?

Post  DaveMcLain June 28th 2015, 5:22 pm

Repair sleeves are used to fix the area where the seal rides and over time wears a groove into the surface they don't do anything to change the dampers ability to dampen torsional vibration.  The 460 has a spacer behind the damper where the seal rides and it would be possible to put a sleeve on the end of that spacer if needed nearly all Ford car engines use the same size front seal and thus repair sleeve.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre.servin June 28th 2015, 5:45 pm

Okay so the repair sleeve won't do anything in the sense of a bad harmonic balancer? And I need to put the sleeve on the spacer? 

I will post some pics of the balancer

Andre.servin

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH June 28th 2015, 8:40 pm

Andre.servin wrote:Okay so the repair sleeve won't do anything in the sense of a bad harmonic balancer? And I need to put the sleeve on the spacer? 

I will post some pics of the balancer

you got an oil leak? then the sleeve is all you need.  

a roll of duct tape will hold the rubber in on that big round thing. LOL

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre.servin June 28th 2015, 9:02 pm

Nah I don't have an oil leak, I'm rebuilding this engine that I pulled from the junkyard. I'm just assuming the balancer is bad.

Just talking from experience with my 68 mustang 302. The balancer slipped and it was causing all sorts of vibrations. I was told at the time that it happens because of the rubber on the balancer? That it will crack and cause the top part to slip?

Andre.servin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down