BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Street vacuum pump

+2
butterbean
jones
6 posters

Go down

Street vacuum pump Empty Street vacuum pump

Post  jones January 4th 2015, 6:45 pm

I thought I posted this question before but I don't see it.

I want to run a small vacuum pump on my 521 street engine, nothing insane, no more the 5 inches. I can't run header evac system because I will be running mufflers.  I would just run a external vent setup but I'd like the engine to stay sealed in case it comes in contact with water.

Will the regulators allow me to decrease the vacuum on the race systems enough? ( I like this kit, just not sure if I can keep the vacuum low enough.) http://shop.aerospacecomponents.com/vacuumpump3-vanebare-1-1-1-1-1-1.aspx
Is there a company that makes a electric pump thats designed to work with oil?

jones

Back to top Go down

Street vacuum pump Empty Re: Street vacuum pump

Post  butterbean January 4th 2015, 7:07 pm

I ran evac tubes on my street car with mufflers for years and never an issue, but you have to install the tubes/pipes behind the mufflers and I ran a long piece of 5/8 heater hose to them, it also had a 250 NOS system on it, it ran 10:80's on motor and best of 9:86 with the juice and never blew oil or pushed the dipstick out, hope this helps
butterbean
butterbean

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 4th 2015, 7:29 pm

That is an idea that could work cheap and easy enough. I might have to run a electric vacuum pump for the brakes just don't know yet. Those are cheap but finding one thats not loud will be the hard part.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh January 4th 2015, 8:17 pm

Not much of an header evac fan myself... are you running power brakes with a big-low vacuum producing cam, you can make the brakes more efficient and eliminate the power assist, if you want a vacuum pump on the lighter side for crankcase evac a cheap option (not nice like the one you posted)you could use a factory 4cyl vacuum pump, I am by no means an authority on this, but I am sure others here can narrow it down.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 4th 2015, 8:21 pm

The only thing I have read about the factory style vacuum pumps is the veins are made out of a card board type material and they don't last very long. Plus they aren't the prettiest looking part.

I don't think the camshaft will be to bad on vacuum but it will be rolling on some pretty heavy wheels and tires.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky January 4th 2015, 10:07 pm

My header evap set up sucks, in a good way Very Happy , I get a strong pull on the rubber hose, should be enough to keep the crankcase vented well. My exhaust is 3" with tailpipes and bullet mufflers. Mine is welded in back a bit from the collectors because I have wide band O2 sensors in the collectors. Pipe goes from 3 1/2" collectors to 3" just before the V-band clamp. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked.

Street vacuum pump 8159D6BE-098B-49EC-8EAD-54C14482368F_zpswtfbapkh

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  SandHillsHillbilly January 4th 2015, 10:18 pm

Some of the boosted guys are running these. Instead of a pressure switch you could run an vapor separator between the engine and the pump and let it run full time.
I don't think it will have enough to run the brakes though.
Street vacuum pump CEPH1

SandHillsHillbilly
SandHillsHillbilly

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 4th 2015, 11:42 pm

It could just be my luck but i tried 2 of those ^^^^and they both locked up real quik when wired to run full time.i was using it to pull air through a heat exchanger so nothing would have gotten in the pump to kill it. Suspect
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down