BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

destroyed my Dove A

5 posters

Go down

destroyed my Dove A  Empty destroyed my Dove A

Post  514Fox87 April 19th 2014, 5:44 pm

Took the car to the track today for the first time this year. New suspension, alcohol conversion. Third pass I guess it broke a rod bolt because I now have a cap between the K-member and block. The diaper did it's job and kept the oil off the tires so I had no problems there but it looks like my season is done before it begins. Bad thing is my gut told me to put L19 bolts in the eagles and I got talked out of it. Stinks because I just had the block 4 bolted.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

destroyed my Dove A  Empty Re: destroyed my Dove A

Post  Mustang-junky April 19th 2014, 9:07 pm

That sucks. I just dropped a D0VE-A off at my machinist yesterday. I hope I don't experience what you did.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 20th 2014, 12:25 am

514Fox87 wrote:Took the car to the track today for the first time this year.  New suspension, alcohol conversion.  Third pass I guess it broke a rod bolt because I now have a cap between the K-member and block.  The diaper did it's job and kept the oil off the tires so I had no problems there but it looks like my season is done before it begins.  Bad thing is my gut told me to put L19 bolts in the eagles and I got talked out of it.  Stinks because I just had the block 4 bolted.  

I think you are going to find excess heat in the rod big end and the quality of the rod bolt was not the issue that caused this, at all.

Just my opinion.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 April 20th 2014, 6:58 am

I wonder if you are right. After my shift the motor blew a rubber plug out of the valve cover and the motor laid over. Just wondering where the pressure came from to do that. Pulled the intake and heads last night and had piston, wrist pin and lock in the valley. Piston did mark the head but don't think it damaged it. No bent valves anyway that I can tell. Wondering what happened first, wrist pin then bearing or bearing then wrist pin. Piston hitting the head could have broken the pin and the cap I pulled did show heat. It is black at the journal but nothing else shows color.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. April 20th 2014, 7:15 am

Did mph slow down after the first pass? If so, it was trying to tell you it was hurt.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 April 20th 2014, 7:40 am

It slowed down .2 on second pass.  I also spun bad but I think it was telling me it was hurt but I didn't listen to be honest.  It just didn't pull like first pass. When it blew the plug out of the valve cover on first pass it really laid over. I thought it was just because I had lost vacuum.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 20th 2014, 7:46 am

I hate that for ya,and I'm kinda agreeing w/Randy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 April 27th 2014, 9:01 pm

Well  got the motor pulled apart and inspected and it appears that either a spiral lock cam out or the piston came apart.  I have color in the pin boss of the piston, and along the top of the rod.  Also the machined end of the pin is in the rod bushing.  Don't remember putting it in that way.   Sad   The good new is the block can be fixed.  It didn't get any water and I took it to a welder today and he said it was a piece of cake to fix.  Even found the three pieces it knocked out in the diaper.  So check align hone and bores and start putting another bullet together.  Still has set me back but it could have been a lot worse.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down